Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 11:57 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Being educated does make you better. That is why, like most liberals, I find the republican war on education to be disturbing.

There is no way you can sit there with a straight face and deny that a more educated population is a better population.
But on an individual basis when arrogance is shown, it shows the opposite of being a better person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 12:50 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Violence on either side is outrageous. I have a friend in his 80's that went to vote on election day. He uses a walker and some ignorant rectum ridiculed him and said "There goes a Trump voter." Well yes he did vote for Trump. He's an American and just as entitled to his opinion as any one else is. He deserved to be respected, and not treated like a pariah.

I saw him last week and asked him how he thought Trump was doing. The poor thing is so out of touch and had no idea what black water was and didn't know what to make of Flynn asking for immunity to testify. All he could talk about was the wall. Bless his heart. I just gave him a hug and helped him get back in his house. I told him I would see him soon and we won't be talking about politics. I just don't have the heart to burst his bubble. He is my friend first. Both sides need to realize that we are American's first. People fought and died for our right to vote and have a voice. Anything less then that respect is hate filled ignorance and not American. And for gawds sake, please take off those embarrassing pink hats. They look ridiculous.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:35 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,133,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Liberals these days believe violence is the only option when trying to block the other side from speaking doesn't work. They have seriously become the most intolerant group of people in the country. They have no respect for freedom of speech or tolerance. Heck, if a Black/Asian/Hispanic person says they support Trump, just watch how "tolerant" Liberals are towards minorities.
Unfortunately this is true. Mostly a minority of liberals, lead by a small minority of millennials who were never told no when they were growing up, and have never been taught how to deal with people who have different opinions. Then the older Gen Exers who have bottled up their feelings, because they were told to grow up when they were young, are now following their young millennial brothers and sisters.

It all started for me in fall of 2015, with the growth of the safe space/microaggression/trigger warning culture on college campuses. I still consider myself liberal, but not LEFT. (A classical liberal like Dave Rubin).

Old 04-06-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleysOwl View Post
Various recent surveys put America's liberals at the 30% and growing (rapidly) range. That translates to scores of millions of people you just accused of "believing violence is the only option" and being "intolerant" and "having no respect for freedom of speech." How many have caused these kinds of problems as you are accusing? Yet you apply the term "liberals" as an inclusive class.

Do you understand the difference between individuals and all inclusive groups? Apparently not a clue.
Then why not moderate, courteous liberals CONDEMN the radical left? Do that, and the right wing backlash will simmer down.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:11 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Unfortunately this is true. Mostly a minority of liberals, lead by a small minority of millennials who were never told no when they were growing up, and have never been taught how to deal with people who have different opinions. Then the older Gen Exers who have bottled up their feelings, because they were told to grow up when they were young, are now following their young millennial brothers and sisters.

It all started for me in fall of 2015, with the growth of the safe space/microaggression/trigger warning culture on college campuses. I still consider myself liberal, but not LEFT. (A classical liberal like Dave Rubin).
Big fan of Dave Rubin here.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Then why not moderate, courteous liberals CONDEMN the radical left? Do that, and the right wing backlash will simmer down.
Now that is a valid point.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:43 PM

911 posts, read 591,275 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Now that is a valid point.
Why should "courteous" anybodys apologize for something they have no part in doing done by people they don't identify with? Disconnected apologies are shallow, disingenuous and meaningless.

Again, the point made remains: only a very fractional percentage of people cause these kinds of confrontational problems whether right or left - so why worsen the problems by trying to tie millions of reasonable people to a handful of thugs?

Old 04-06-2017, 09:07 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,186,254 times
Quote:
Why should "courteous" anybodys apologize for something they have no part in doing done by people they don't identify with? Disconnected apologies are shallow, disingenuous and meaningless.

Again, the point made remains: only a very fractional percentage of people cause these kinds of confrontational problems whether right or left - so why worsen the problems by trying to tie millions of reasonable people to a handful of thugs?
Look up the definition of condem and apologize.... very different things

Old 04-06-2017, 09:29 PM

911 posts, read 591,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Look up the definition of condem and apologize.... very different things
Yes. So perhaps the conservative right should condemn persons among them who identify millions of reasonable well behaved liberals with a handful of thugs.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:

So on the other side of the spectrum, should Trump supporters not apologize for the behavior and words of open white nationalists because they have no part in racist words or actions and identify with that? Would you say "good for you for not making a shallow and meaningless apology?" Somehow I think you wouldn't, but maybe I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies