Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Counting brief layovers for his jaunts to Asia, Hawaiʻi, and other parts of California, he was in Los Angeles about once every three months.
Still less frequent than Trump's visits to Mar-A-Lago.

And Trump stays at Mar-A-Lago for longer than a "brief layover". Flies in Friday, flies out Monday. All restrictions are in place for a good 72 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 09:02 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post

And Trump stays at Mar-A-Lago for longer than a "brief layover". Flies in Friday, flies out Monday. All restrictions are in place for a good 72 hours.
What Obama did or did not do is completely irrelevant.

What is occurring NOW is the issue, and IMHO, it is unacceptable.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:20 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The closest 'real' course to Mar-a-Lago is the Everglades Golf Club (about 2 miles away). If Trump decided to play at Everglades, I could see that causing a stir re shopping because the shopping on Worth Avenue is only a block or so north of Everglades. The other two closest private courses in Palm Beach....Breakers Ocean Course, and Palm Beach Country Club....are about 3 miles and 5 miles from Mar-a-Lago.
WADR, President Trump would not be able to play without a member host at the Everglades Club. That club is exceedingly restrictive, even more blue-blooded than the Bath & Tennis across the road from Mar-a-Lago. And the B&T famously declined Trump's application for membership back in the day. I doubt that any of those Brahmins would risk the disdain of his peers via the glare of publicity that a sitting president would bring.

As Thurston Howell III once complained during a dustup on Gilligan's Island: "I'm going to appeal this decision to District Court, and to the US Supreme Court, and to an even higher power, the Membership and Rules Committee of the New York Yacht Club!"

Old 03-29-2017, 09:22 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,237,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post

He flies back to DC on Sundays. Between 4pm and 5pm usually. I also use PBI on Sundays so I am acutely aware of the travel patterns.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:29 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Actually, Obama visited Los Angeles way more than that during his two terms in office. Counting brief layovers for his jaunts to Asia, Hawaiʻi, and other parts of California, he was in Los Angeles about once every three months. Here links to lists of his "official" presidential trips from 2009 through 2016...

As for Trump, he has yet to venture west of Tennessee since getting elected...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_Donald_Trump
Obama isn't Trump and Obama's behavior in the past is not a defense for Trump's behavior in the present. What part of that do Trump supporters not comprehend?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I feel like he needs a helipad over at Mar-a-Lago and some security near it so he can just land there on Marine One.

Not sure where he'd have to pick it up to fly in, but it seems more logical than this motorcade, businesses blocked off, and extra police presence every weekend.

Is that resort even large enough for this? I mean, I don't know how many golf courses it has, but we all have to make sacrifices.
The helipad is already being built. I don't know who is paying for it. And I've heard that even with the helipad, that the extra security will still mean road closings.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:43 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What Obama did or did not do is completely irrelevant.

What is occurring NOW is the issue, and IMHO, it is unacceptable.
I completely agree. I still find it mildly entertaining to point out the differences in frequency when the "BUT OBAMA" crowd wants to compare the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
He flies back to DC on Sundays. Between 4pm and 5pm usually. I also use PBI on Sundays so I am acutely aware of the travel patterns.
According to the graphic here, we're actually both right. On some trips he did fly out on Sunday, but on others flew out on Monday.

If I could edit my previous post, I would.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:35 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Obama isn't Trump and Obama's behavior in the past is not a defense for Trump's behavior in the present. What part of that do Trump supporters not comprehend?

Aww don't take that away from the cult sheeple. It's all they have.

I'm glad the GAO is looking into his excessive trips to the "southern white house." Give me a break. I guess camp David was "too rustic" for him. I hope the trips stop soon. It's costing all of us a fortune.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:51 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Once again, empty headed liberals give heed to a handful of equally empty headed whiners and bellyachers, and their whole world crashes. Someone complains and it's a deal breaker.

Liberals: Deal with it. Your ugly schtick is boring and just plain stupid, and it's not going to help you win.

I believe many of the empty heads in question rest upon the shoulders of business owners in the Palm Beach area. Didn't Trump win there?

Old 03-30-2017, 07:21 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The last time I was in Palm Beach was in 2012. A good friend of my grandfather owned a residence known as 'Four Winds' at one time, and while I was there I wanted to see if I could find it...I couldn't. No wonder (I couldn't find the information on the web in 2012, but I just did). Stephen Schwarzman (a friend of both Trump and Hillary) bought 'Four Winds' in 2003 and tore it down. When I read your post above, I thought 'I don't think Mar-a-Lago has a real golf course' (it doesn't....it has a little chip and putt course). The closest 'real' course to Mar-a-Lago is the Everglades Golf Club (about 2 miles away). If Trump decided to play at Everglades, I could see that causing a stir re shopping because the shopping on Worth Avenue is only a block or so north of Everglades. The other two closest private courses in Palm Beach....Breakers Ocean Course, and Palm Beach Country Club....are about 3 miles and 5 miles from Mar-a-Lago.

While looking for what I found re 'Four Winds', I did find some information re 'Four Winds' that sort of relates to Mar-a-Lago. Marjorie Merriweather Post built Mar-a-Lago while she was married to E.F. Hutton...which is common knowledge. After they divorced, E.F. Hutton owned 'Four Winds'. 'Four Winds' had at least two owners after that (one of them my grandfather's friend) before Schwarzman bought it in 2003. I also stumbled upon an article about JFK prohibiting reporters from taking pictures of him playing golf between the time of his nomination (1960) and the inauguration (1961). The article also mentions that JFK criticized Eisenhower for playing too much golf while POTUS...LOL:

Part XVI: Resort Life, November 1959 - April 1960 | New York Social Diary

(a copy the AP article about JFK is at the very bottom of the link)

^^^^^ Bickering about time Presidents spend playing golf hardly started with Trump and Obama...or even Bush 43.
Hahahaha! That's excellent. They all play golf, they all gripe about each other playing golf.

I really don't care if Trump golfs every weekend. I care that he's screwing up the area around Mar-a-Lago with his visits.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies