Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:18 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I would go to Hungary. For 10000 Euros you can buy a residency there. And with their president adamant about keeping refugees out it does have some appeal.
I'd get so fat if I were Hungary all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 09:24 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Cape Breton even has Goat Island and a Mosque, what more could Muslims want.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:28 AM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You clearly lack the power of discernment.

I totally understand folks wanting to flee Donald J. Trump's Redneck America, by the way. I'm not sure America is ever going to get any smarter unless it is forced to, and Republicans will continue to work hard to keep America stupid.
Yes, Americans need to be forced to being smarter

Old 04-09-2017, 09:34 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Yes, Americans need to be forced to being smarter
By being "forced", it usually involves an involuntary approach and is a forced reaction to events. Say, for example, Americans remain ignorant of their bombing of foreign lands. When a terrorist blows himself up on the subway and chants he is doing it for revenge of America killing civilians in (insert country ______) , Americans are forced to acknowledge that we are killing lots of people in _____, and most casualties are usually civilian.

Take climate change. When coastal cities are swamped and inundated with water in their downtown streets, Americans are forced to acknowledge that, yes, science is real, no matter what Trump, Hannity or Limbaugh say.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:34 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,449 times
How funny you want to move to an island because you don't like living with people with differing views....but want to bring millions of people to this country that would chop your head off because of your views.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:36 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Dothetwist, how do you live full time in Mexico? Do you have dual citizenship? What about your insurance? Is it accepted there?

Just asking because I know Canadians must leave USA at certain time intervals to maintain citizenship and insurance.
When we lived in Mexico 2008-2012, our insurance (through my ex employer) covered us for emergencies outside US anytime. We went back to the US once a year for 5 weeks, to do our routine medical and dental stuff (we were then, in our late 50s with no health issues). We paid out of pocket in Mexico for doctor visits for things like colds, flushots, pulled muscle, stitches. Office visits were between 150 and 200 pesos; house calls (yes, still done there) were 200-250 pesos. Now office visits are 250 pesos, I've been told, or 14 bucks.

Fast FWD to now....we are 64 and 65, on (or soon to be on) Medicare, which can't be used outside US. We have a Medigap policy (thru ex employer) which covers us for emergencies outside US, but only for first 60 days of each trip. For the time being, we'll keep our house in FL and go there twice a year for routine care. We will join either IMSS or Seguro Popula in Mexico (IMSS is better, more hospitals in system, and costs about USD equivilant of $250 a YEAR at our ages). Seguro Popular is almost free but clinics/hospitals are crowded.

We have permanent resident visas in Mexico (like a US green card).

Old 04-09-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
One poster did

You can't get dual citizenship with Mexico unless you were born there
That's not true. I know dozens of US citizens who are hold dual citizenship in MX. None were born in MX.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:41 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
“The United States is losing its mind,” one person wrote.
“I am heartbroken seeing our America be torn apart . . . by one, out-of-touch billionaire,” another wrote.
“Please help me,” another wrote.

Americans Adrift: Can a remote island in Canada become a safe harbor for those who want to flee Donald Trump?

I share the sentiments of those fleeing, but I would choose Ireland or New Zealand over Canada!

Lead the way, please.
Don't let the door smack you on the way out.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:09 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
That's not true. I know dozens of US citizens who are hold dual citizenship in MX. None were born in MX.
You heard wrong or they are not telling the whole truth. Mexico does not allow foreigners dual citizenship unless one of their parents are Mexican by birth, and I believe the children as well.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You heard wrong or they are not telling the whole truth. Mexico does not allow foreigners dual citizenship unless one of their parents are Mexican by birth, and I believe the children as well.
ABSOLUTELY FALSE!!
How to get residency and dual citizenship in Mexico | Nomad Capitalist
Quote:
Mexico is among the many nations that allow dual citizenship. It does not, however, allow multiple nationalities beyond the initial two. Once you have your permanent residency, it is fairly easy to obtain Mexican citizenship.
While there are options to become a Mexican citizen through birth abroad to Mexican parents, Mexican descent back two generations (although there has been talk of extending it to three generations), or through marriage or having Mexican children, most foreigners will qualify for citizenship through naturalization.
Naturalization in Mexico requires five years of residency prior to the application date, which can include all years of residency, whether temporary or permanent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies