Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 09:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
The article says the gay students feel that way
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the author of the article or the militant gays on campus believed most gays feel that way, but that doesn't make it true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 09:52 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,221,309 times
Well, it's probably a safe bet that at least SOME gays feel that way or there wouldn't be any controversy.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:57 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Well, it's probably a safe bet that at least SOME gays feel that way or there wouldn't be any controversy.
Could be. But do you remember the poll about the "Redskins?" 9 out of 10 Native American respondents don't care one way or the other.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I dont care if marriage is a goverment institution, they only thing I care about is the 14th amendment is followed and citizens from all states enjoy equal rights. If you want to call them legal unions as long they are for everyone equally then its fine with me, civil unions all around I can give less of s**t.

You want more government. I want less.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:59 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,015,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You just don't seem to understand that when you give the government the power to allow things, you give them the power to deny. In the case of marriage, it was big government not allowing gays to marry.

Is it really gay students in an uproar?

My GUESS would be that if you surveyed every gay person on that campus, the majority don't oppose CFA opening a store there.
Ok, semantically speaking yes, but the fact of that matter is there was a government sanctioned institution that afforded rights and protections, so how it's asking for them to.be same for everyone giving the government more power, talking in practical terms not memes.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
The article says the gay students feel that way

A habit of thinking for other individuals.
Virtue signaling.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
They must have seen Chicken Run.

Maybe those wild and crazy young free range chickens hopping a freight car while the students still dwell in their parents' basement until they are 30 and beyond, stresses them.

Why do gangs beat people up and kill them when they can just frighten them to death with a chicken sandwich? Hey Chicago, try chicken sandwiches.

Gives you an idea for Halloween, doesn't it?

Old 04-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 11 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
Y'all are just making me hungry now.

Mmmmmm, Chick-Fil-A. I'm going to make that place a threat to my hunger pains.

You'd think that kids today would know a good thing.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,015,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You want more government. I want less.
You are speaking in memes.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:07 PM

74 posts, read 89,006 times
I stopped reading after 5 pages. I'll actually explain the situation then since it doesn't seem anyone was able to so far. Someone asked where the liberals are. Hopefully a left leaning moderate can suffice:

First of all, this isn't a political left vs right issue. This is about an (for all intents and purposes) anti-gay establishment having a presence and the gay community of that location feeling nervous.

Second, think for a second: CEO of X company says he is against ______ (insert something about you). Then that CEO decides to come to your area. It makes sense that you would feel the same way they do. This instance its gay people but it could easily be black, hispanic, asian, tall, fat, whatever.

Third, and shortened versioneople need to seriously look deeper and show both a sense of critical thinking as well as empathy. If you cannot see that this is beyond a chicken sandwich, then the world is truly a terrible place. It is a response of a group of people towards an establishment that doesn't support them. Now you don't have to agree with them being gay or think it's ok (full disclosure: I don't), but at least see that this isn't an overstated demonstration.

A counter argument to the Catholic School thing is this: there is a GSA on campus. Obviously the school acknowledges the presence of gays and makes them feel supported to some degree. Again, you don't have to agree with them but it is not your decision to make.

Fourth and more personal than related: every time someone gets offended, please don't just ignore their concern and call them snowflakes. Everyone gets offended and that's fine. At times, yes it is overblown. But this isn't all the time. Just listen and show some empathy. Then again, I'm sure that you conservatives know that the bible says "In the last days, mans hearts shall grow cold towards one another," and you know the definition of God's love.

Then again, I'm sure you also know that the bible says "they honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me"......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies