Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Nice, while I don't agree with canceling the parade (I think the subversive elements infiltrating the repubs marching could have been handled differently)
I like(sarcasm) how the whole convo has been skewed...

How about some discussion on the topic of why they thought it would be ok to even march with the
Republican paradees-

like really thats how far the GOP has gone?: its ok for neoNazi/ KKK sympathizers to walk openly with them in something as innocuous as a Rose Parade in one of the most diverse (racially ) parts of Portland?

(from the concurrent thread running in the Portland Forum Poster Metlakatla states:
"the iii percenters and others of their ilk were planning on being a part of the parade under the guise of the Mutnomah County Republican Party."

(not sure how to double quote)
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" even if temporarily. Good enough for the US itself, good enough for anyone who gets threatened with "protest" (like hell it was going to remain peaceful).

All of those groups are there to protect people who are threatened by antifa. It does not mean that all of these Republicans agree with those groups.

In Berkeley on the 15th, the rally was for Trump supporters, but the other groups showed up to offer protection because they knew that antifa was going to come along and disrupt. And they did. Would you like some video of them barreling right on over the barricades that the police put up, right in to the rally side?

The groups are there so that the other can continue to peacefully rally or march or whatever it is that they want to do. The Proud Boys, Identity Evoropa, The Oathkeepers, and all of those other organizations were not there to rally for Trump, they were not there to be part of a parade, they were not going to Berkeley to listen to Ann Coulter.

Every time, they go so that the people continue to have their right to free speech since the police are continuously told to stand down.

THAT is why they were going.

Nothing would happen if antifa just protested. But they don't just protest.

They don't follow orders of no masks, no weapons:

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/sta...93969811206144

That's Berkeley right now.

Of course that was going to happen during the parade despite the so called promises that they would "just block people" which is also violating peoples rights to free movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 02:43 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Plenty call Trump a Fascist. My problem is you trying to blame all of this on "Conservatives". Vast generalizations never make a good argument.

Correct me if I misread.
You totally misread. I am saying that conservatives, and I am speaking as a conservative, would do big wonders to label the Anti-fa for what they really are; Communists and Anarchists, rather than using the distracting and mildly confusing slur of fascists.

My point is that if you call them what they really are, you open the book to the history of their hellish ideologies. Calling them fascists just makes it seem as though only fascists and Nazis suppressed free speech, but Commies and Anarchists have been doing this all throughout the 20th century and this is exactly what they do to groups who they deem as "reactionary"; they violently suppress them.

If we called them Communists and Anarchists and told people that this is what they do, they'll pick up a history book and read on the Cultural Revolution, the Anarchist collectives of pre-Civil War Spain and the zealously and violent suppression of the church, liberals and all people they deemed reactionary.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:43 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Sounds like neo-Nazi agitprop to me. There's nothing like an anonymous threat to stir people up. The Nazis used that device very well in their rise.

Portland ain't all liberals by a long shot.

The war with the skinheads who live there has been going on for many years.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
You totally misread. I am saying that conservatives, and I am speaking as a conservative, would do big wonders to label the Anti-fa for what they really are; Communists and Anarchists, rather than using the distracting and mildly confusing slur of fascists.
OK, fair enough there. Fascist has become a catch all for not having a better argument.

Quote:
My point is that if you call them what they really are, you open the book to the history of their hellish ideologies. Calling them fascists just makes it seem as though only fascists and Nazis suppressed free speech, but Commies and Anarchists have been doing this all throughout the 20th century and this is exactly what they do to groups who they deem as "reactionary"; they violently suppress them.

If we called them Communists and Anarchists and told people that this is what they do, they'll pick up a history book and read on the Cultural Revolution, the Anarchist collectives of pre-Civil War Spain and the zealously and violent suppression of the church, liberals and all people they deemed reactionary.
A lot of people have been doing it but in the argument that calling them Fascist is a cheap way out for a better argument, I agree.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:56 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,823,349 times
If you want to disagree with another person's position, fine disagree. You want to get violent in that disagreement? Simple solution... Constitutional carry.

When it starts to get violent, give them their much needed and deserved vaccination of high velocity lead poisoning. Problem solved.

Last edited by KS_Referee; 04-27-2017 at 03:09 PM..

Old 04-27-2017, 03:06 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
heres the link (from the Willamette Week, I hope its a good enough source.. we certainly use it around here/ but what would actual Portlanders know, huh?)

82nd Avenue of Roses Parade Cancelled Amid Threats of Street Brawling - Willamette Week

plenty of blame to go around,
although I see the Republicans were going to bow out of the parade, but then changed their minds (and were still going to include the iii percenters?, et cetera)-
and then the fringe elements - RIGHT as well as LEFT jumped on the bandwagon to conflict.
Sounded like it could have been nasty, and definitely not "family friendly"-

Good article although still a bit skewed.
and their only 'evidence' of this alleged infiltration is... a quote from someone from direct action

Old 04-27-2017, 03:26 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,871,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
and their only 'evidence' of this alleged infiltration is... a quote from someone from direct action
I still think they should have had the parade.

Just like we had the Womens March.
Peacefulness could have carried the day, extremists be damned(using this word grammatically, not as an expletive).

Old 04-27-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
If you want to disagree with another person's position, fine disagree. You want to get violent in that disagreement? Simple solution... Constitutional carry.

When it starts to get violent, give them their much needed and deserved vaccination of high velocity lead poisoning. Problem solved.
A solution that will land the owner of the trigger finger in jail, too. No one goes to shooting in public for any cause and escapes the long arm of the law in this country just yet. Bullets carry consequences the instant they leave a gun barrel.

Argue self-defense rights all you want, but when deadly force is used, it will be accounted for in our courts.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I still think they should have had the parade.

Just like we had the Womens March.
Peacefulness could have carried the day, extremists be damned(using this word grammatically, not as an expletive).
I agree, but I don't live there. I think Portlanders should decide for themselves.

I know a little about Portland, as I have relatives there and have visited several times. I tend to think the parade will go on, but I may be proven wrong.

No one knows from the tidbit that was presented here just how serious the threat may be. That's something the Portland police wouldn't necessarily make public, one way or the other, until they had their own firm assessment of the possible dangers.

But even if the dangers were real and serious, I tend to think some Portlanders would parade anyway. Outsiders might think Portland is a tender place, where feelings are easily hurt, but that's a false impression.

The Portland I know is chock full of tough and rowdy Oregonians, lumberjacks and fishermen alongside their hi-tech kids, and Portland has always been a hardcase town that was quick to go to blows. The town has changed over the past 20 years, but not that much.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
Another city off of my vacation travel list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies