Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Any discussion is incomplete without:

The Gulag Archipelago
Good book and a good read into how they operate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 05:32 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree, it seems the differences we have in this nation have reached a point where peaceful coexistence between left and right is not really possible. Fear of violence is no reason to allow free speech to be silenced. Backing down to the threat of violence is worse than the violence itself. This needs to be stood up against no matter the consequences. The period of violence that we are headed into cannot be stopped, delaying it through appeasement will only make it tougher to undo the tyranny they will impose when they gain power. Even if it means civil war we must stand up for basic American rights and freedoms.
The local governments are not doing their job. These little terrorists would never do something like that in my city because the police are out in force whenever they're needed. I've seen the tiny huddle of protesters surrounded by police and mounted police forces. No antifa idiots would dream of causing a ruckus with mounted police. Plus, armed citizens everywhere and no one knows who's packing. And we have a pretty liberal city government, but there is no way they would tell police to stand down or give people space to destroy.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:36 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The local governments are not doing their job. These little terrorists would never do something like that in my city because the police are out in force whenever they're needed. I've seen the tiny huddle of protesters surrounded by police and mounted police forces. No antifa idiots would dream of causing a ruckus with mounted police. Plus, armed citizens everywhere and no one knows who's packing. And we have a pretty liberal city government, but there is no way they would tell police to stand down or give people space to destroy.
That's something I never thought about. There are usually none of these crazy protests in Houston or Dallas. If so they're small scale and wouldn't disrupt city events or the residents of that city. These seem to happen in majorly off the wall liberal cities such as in Portland and Berkeley. NYC too.

There must be some level of tolerance for this sort of stuff by local PD or something. It's just weird how this is allowed to happen.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:43 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The local governments are not doing their job. These little terrorists would never do something like that in my city because the police are out in force whenever they're needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's something I never thought about. There are usually none of these crazy protests in Houston or Dallas.
I'm out in north Fort Worth. Honestly this does make me appreciate my area more. Last Saturday I attended a meeting with the Mayor herself. I feel like the people, the local government, and the police force are much more reasonable here.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:48 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,823,349 times
Quote:
That's something I never thought about. There are usually none of these crazy protests in Houston or Dallas. If so they're small scale and wouldn't disrupt city events or the residents of that city. These seem to happen in majorly off the wall liberal cities such as in Portland and Berkeley. NYC too.

There must be some level of tolerance for this sort of stuff by local PD or something. It's just weird how this is allowed to happen.

This reinforces my solution of constitutional carry. The folks in these cities don't seem concerned that the person they are attacking could be armed. Try that stuff in your typical city where the State has constitutional carry.

This old saying has much truth to it. An armed society is a polite society. AKA, An armed society is a peaceful society.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:44 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
Default Portland OR cancels its Rose Parade after radicalized Democrats threaten to attack Republican participants,destroy float

It's happening more and more. Now the city of Portland OR, instead of arresting and prosecuting the thugs that attack law-abiding people, simply cancel the parade that the radicalized Democrat thugs didn't want any Republicans in.

Is Portland going to be cutting back on the salaries they pay their police and courts, since they are not doing what they are paid to do: Stop those who are committing crimes, put them in jail, try and sentence them?

It's getting more and more where radicalized thugs can control who can appear in public, make speeches, wave banners (even in parades), simply by committing violence, rioting, destroying property, and then making threats to do more of the same.

This used to happen only in primitive, third-world countries. But now it's happening everywhere, including main streets of American cities. Is nobody going to do anything to stop these radicalized Democrats from reducing the United States to just another third-world country?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...parade&spf=394

Last edited by Roboteer; 04-27-2017 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-27-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:

There is definitely a level of tolerance. The police are told to stand down and give the protesters space. That's fine when they're peaceful, but when you have these masked idiots coming you can't do that. A heavy police presence and the knowledge that they won't allow this type of stuff would protect the truly peaceful protesters as much as the ones they're protesting against.

Now Dallas did have a very peaceful BLM protest that went off without a hitch until the crowds mostly cleared and that guy started shooting at the police. And even then, those guys protected the remaining protesters and ran towards the gunshots.

I like Houston's mounted police. If you ever stand by a bunch of them, you feel pretty safe. No one in their right mind would start mayham when they're stationed around the perimeter.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I'm out in north Fort Worth. Honestly this does make me appreciate my area more. Last Saturday I attended a meeting with the Mayor herself. I feel like the people, the local government, and the police force are much more reasonable here.
I suspect the people of Oregon have even more access to their local politicians, it being so small and all. But clearly they have a lot more sympathy towards the protesters than they do the other groups. I bet they would never cave if it was a gay pride parade being threatened. And they shouldn't.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:05 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Needs to be prosecuted. HARD.
Agreed.

This kind of stuff's crossing the line into terrorism IF those hooligans TRY to block streets.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:07 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
blah blah bllah. After ONE anonymous email, that probably came from a 15 yr old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies