Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 05:47 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times

Advertisements

I am never frightened by a gun or a high capacity magazine. I have been very frightened by people trying to point SKS rifles at me with their 10 round magazines and by a crew pointing a Chinese (presumably, I did not hang around to check) machine gun at me and my boat crew. Although this was a special case in a "War a long time ago and Far, Far Away" to quote the story it taught me to be alert, aware and armed at all times. I still am.

Basically I believe all people have a right to defend themselves and the government has no right to define how that defense may be done. Limiting magazine size or firearm caliber is an absurdity. In many places they have even more stringent limits on sharpened pieces of steel or bronze. I believe that government's do this to keep weapons from the poor to protect themselves. Good honest policemen have nothing to fear from the citizens they protect. Crooked cops and corrupt local governments that terrorize the poor by controlling and profiting from the exploitation of the community do have a lot to fear. Justifiably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 05:57 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
People with CCWs, I'm sure many with a gun with a large magazine, are statistically the least apt to commit a crime. They commit fewer crimes, as a group, than police officers.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:47 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
When the law passed requiring you to wear a shoulder belt when you drive, chances are the belt was already in the car, you just weren't mandated to use it. After the law was passed, not wearing the shoulder belt was against the law..even though it had previously been perfectly legal...and you call me dense?
Your initial point was that 6 million "instant" felons is absurd and we refuted that. Now your you're saying he deserves his punishment because it is what it is, move or write a strongly worded letter if you don't like it. Housing is expensive; it is what it is. Too many taxes; it is what it is. etc. Why even comment?

Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Your initial point was that 6 million "instant" felons is absurd and we refuted that. Now your you're saying he deserves his punishment because it is what it is, move or write a strongly worded letter if you don't like it. Housing is expensive; it is what it is. Too many taxes; it is what it is. etc. Why even comment?
Quit trying to put words in my mouth. I never said a word about punishment for God's sake What I very clearly said is that an excuse for breaking the law is not created because the activity was once legal...that's all I said. I don't care about magazines or NY gun law or whatever it is that you are trying to argue about. I simply DO NOT CARE, but for the recored there never were 6 million instant felons created because of the passage of a new law and no, you did not refute it because for that to be true there would have had to have been 6 million FELONY CONVICTIONS, get it?

Old 05-02-2017, 07:33 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I really don't understand why high capacity magazines are ... well.... so bad. So bad to a point they have to be banned.

The tool used does not make a difference in the amount of carnage that can be wrought in a mass shooting. Whether it be an “assault weaponâ€, a side-by-side shotgun, a pistol, bombs, or even a knife, 20 minutes to 3 hours has been the range of time a mass killer has to operate before the police can intervene. ( I could be wrong about this)

Three hours with no resistance and total control means any kind of ban of a certain kind of firearm would not change the situation in the least. Consider the Navy Yard shooting that involved a pump-action shotgun with no buttstock in an incredibly secure Federal Government facility. In South Carolina it was a pistol. In Columbine there was no “assault weapon†present. At Virginia Tech two pistols were used.

Banning one type of semi-automatic firearm and not others makes no sense if you believe banning guns is the way to stop these tragedies (which it isn’t).

Limiting the magazine capacity from 30, 20, 17, 15 rounds to 10 or 5 rounds doesn’t matter either, as the assailant can prepare with as many magazines as they can.

by the way, I understand people need to obey law (even though some laws can be pretty darn stupid). In my ideal world, the vet should just pay a $5 fine. That is about it. It is not like he has done anything wrong or bad. Where is the victim? Where is the crime? who has been hurt?
watch the video of a shooter being disarmed in a seattle school. the shooter had to reload his shotgun and lives were saved.

reloading, mags etc they all matter. there is no debating this. And if mag, fire rates, weapon type did not matter military would be using 100 year old designs.

All the whining about guns, just comes down to silly americans "wanting" guns. the USA will go down in long term history as war mongers that murdered across the globe and at home for almost 100 years .

Old 05-02-2017, 07:49 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am never frightened by a gun or a high capacity magazine. I have been very frightened by people trying to point SKS rifles at me with their 10 round magazines and by a crew pointing a Chinese (presumably, I did not hang around to check) machine gun at me and my boat crew. Although this was a special case in a "War a long time ago and Far, Far Away" to quote the story it taught me to be alert, aware and armed at all times. I still am.

Basically I believe all people have a right to defend themselves and the government has no right to define how that defense may be done. Limiting magazine size or firearm caliber is an absurdity. In many places they have even more stringent limits on sharpened pieces of steel or bronze. I believe that government's do this to keep weapons from the poor to protect themselves. Good honest policemen have nothing to fear from the citizens they protect. Crooked cops and corrupt local governments that terrorize the poor by controlling and profiting from the exploitation of the community do have a lot to fear. Justifiably.
None of these gun laws go far enough, all these bans to date have been little more than inconvenience gun owners. The Assault Weapons Ban amounted to very little, but the government has the right to pass laws to protect citizens, if their intention was to keep guns from the poor or anyone else they have done an astoundingly lousy job.

The gun manufacturers and the NRA are responsible for the exploitation, they have done a good job the past several decades as we now have a gun for every man, woman and child, we lose more guns each year than are sold in most countries.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
watch the video of a shooter being disarmed in a seattle school. the shooter had to reload his shotgun and lives were saved.

reloading, mags etc they all matter. there is no debating this. And if mag, fire rates, weapon type did not matter military would be using 100 year old designs.

All the whining about guns, just comes down to silly americans "wanting" guns. the USA will go down in long term history as war mongers that murdered across the globe and at home for almost 100 years .
How come bank trucks are protected by armed guards but not students in a target rich "gun free" zone? Bet if there were armed hall monitors in any school in any state, there would not be a single child killed or maimed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
None of these gun laws go far enough, all these bans to date have been little more than inconvenience gun owners. The Assault Weapons Ban amounted to very little, but the government has the right to pass laws to protect citizens, if their intention was to keep guns from the poor or anyone else they have done an astoundingly lousy job.

The gun manufacturers and the NRA are responsible for the exploitation, they have done a good job the past several decades as we now have a gun for every man, woman and child, we lose more guns each year than are sold in most countries.
The governments reach ends at my front door. As it should anyones. The governments hands and agenda does not extend into womens wombs, gun cabinets/safes, or bedrooms. Bet if I got on my high horse and said no more abortions, no more make believe genders, no more homo couples and made it a felony to get an abortion or engage in sexual or affectionate behaviors with someone of the same sex Oh I guess I'd just be a narrow minded troglodyte who needs to go back to the 1940s/50s...

We don't exploit the deaths of innocent people. But you sheep sure do.
Sandy hook takes place in CT. Cuomo bans sporting rifles because they are military styled. Yet Not one. NOT ONE was used to commit crime in NY state. What was used-burners. Illegal handguns with no serial numbers.

Meanwhile NY state is being ruined slowly and surely with the proposal of heroin safe spaces to curb ODs... Nope. Fuggem. Let them get what they deserve for shooting that poison in their veins. Let them all catch aids from sharing dirty needles. My cousins first time using was his last. Good riddance scumbag.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:22 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Liberal States have a funny ideal of guns in the hands of legal owners.

If this pre ban this guy should be released and NY pay damages.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:34 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Quit trying to put words in my mouth. I never said a word about punishment for God's sake What I very clearly said is that an excuse for breaking the law is not created because the activity was once legal...that's all I said. I don't care about magazines or NY gun law or whatever it is that you are trying to argue about. I simply DO NOT CARE, but for the recored there never were 6 million instant felons created because of the passage of a new law and no, you did not refute it because for that to be true there would have had to have been 6 million FELONY CONVICTIONS, get it?
If you murder someone are you not a mudered unless you are convicted?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:37 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If you murder someone are you not a mudered unless you are convicted?
You are an accused murderer, but you aren't a felon until you're convicted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies