Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 09:53 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times

Advertisements

I used to think that the NRA was too inflexible and needed to be a bit more accommodating but I realized you cannot have a dialogue with someone that is 1) incredibly ignorant about firearms and 2) has a clear final agenda of eventually ban firearms.

All these stupid nonsensical measures, high cap magazine ban, military style rifle ban (like a "military looking" semi auto rifle is more deadly of old Granpa Remington 742 ), gun free zone are slow, drip-drip moves to take your gun rights one bite at the time.....

This is my "compromise"

- All states should be "shall issue", period.

-Reciprocity on Concealed Permits like driving licenses.

- Mandatory test/training for issuing Concealed permits...exactly like a driving license, you have to prove you can drive before getting behind the wheel on a public road....I do not want armed people around me that cannot hit the wide side of a barn at 5 yards.

- I somewhat agree on background checks for private sales but they have to be as quick and cheap as the ones performed by gun dealers (the famous NICS call)....give me a phone number, maybe a $5-10 fee for an instant background check when I sell my firearm privately...here in WA state, after the background checks law passed, in Seattle we are at the mercy of 2-3 dealers willing to perform a background check for you charging whatever they feel like and taking whatever time they want.

- You can keep the full auto ban....a full auto for a civilian serves no purpose, it may be fun couple of times spraying bullets downrange...you can do it already in some ranges that have full auto firearms and permits.

That's it, leave the lawful gun owners alone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 10:03 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If you take a "hunting rifle" and put a scary black folding stock or flash suppressor on it or a scary looking for-grip or a tac-light on it, (or god forbid all four) now it's a military style weapon.

Completely asinine isn't it ?

Old 05-01-2017, 03:37 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Actually a firearm is designed to shoot a projectile in the direction it is pointed. The end user determines it's usage. That might be a little too logical to you though.

I wonder if it's time to ban duct tape, since a person can take two "standard" round magazines and tape them together ?

Banning duct tape wouldn't work. We should force people to get an adhesive license. Of course, you would need to take an adhesive training course, with a refresher class every 3 months. Put all adhesives in locked cages at retail stores. You have to present a license before the associate will assist you. All transactions are then recorded and sent to the feds along with all your personal info. Adhesives at the home must be under lock and key. Failure to do so is a min. 5 year sentence, multiple adhesives would up it to an aggravated offense.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:16 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Should there be different laws for Army vets?

Laws are laws, don't break them unless you are willing to take the punishment.

Of course he is not going to get 21 years.
the point is the feds make criminals out of law abiding citizens while gangs run rampant owning the largest per cent of gun violence.

To hang some guy for possession while he has no record or intent defies the concept of being 'judged' by the justice system. Meanwhile repeat offenders somehow get to plea down, as in Nj which has the graves act that requires anyone commiting a crime with a firearm an automatic three years. Basketball pro kills his chauffer with a shotgun and walks.

Maybe the justice system should create a position called a 'judge', who can apply laws as appropriate instead of taking activist positions and making examples of people.

21 theoretical years in one state while in another he would not be prosecuted. That uneven legal application is a problem.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:47 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Plenty of reasons to retire to FL but starting out there is another story, many people from the NE retire their because of the cost of living. But the pizza and bagels are lousy and not many retirees live there year round. Some areas really taking a turn for the worst because of over population, the number of people moving there each year is astounding and unsupportable. One thousand people a day, crazy.

$5,200 per year is a steal in NY!
I have no problems making money. Granted there is a limited number of industries down here... I have had my hands in every trade you can think of when I was a teenager. Fixing diesel fords, using a chain saw, zero turn mower, bob cat and other heavy equipment, are what I was proficient in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The Pro Gun guys always have this excuse of wanting to protect yourself and you need lots of ammo in case there are multiple bad guys. Do you realize how rare those situations are ? Somehow, millions and millions of us go through our daily lives without the need to be carrying heat. How often do average citizens find themselves in situations that require you to shoot someone else..........never has happened to me in my 71 years on this planet.

Guns for hunting are one thing, but military style weapons are just that, to be used by the military. They serve one purpose and one purpose only.....to kill as many people as possible without reloading. If you guys can't take down one or several criminals with 5 or 10 rounds, you need to spend more time at the shooting range.
Rare?, 2 tried to break into my house... Met them with the ol 12 gauge deer slayer with slugs. Police Special Ithaca 10 rounds in the tube. A pump action which is also Illegal unless you put the "duck plugs" in to limit the capacity to 7. BTW they were heroin junkies... Ever deal with a crack head or someone numbed on heroin or zooming on angel dust? I grew up until I was 7/8 in Poughkeepsie, in a bad part of the city...

Get off your high horse hoss. Just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it hasn't or wont to someone else. I would pay to see you confront someone on dope with a 38 special revolver. They'll laugh it off.

Apparently in your 71 years you've never competed in a 3 gun tournament either...

Because bench rest shooting is just OH so exciting...

Old 05-01-2017, 04:51 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Actually a firearm is designed to shoot a projectile in the direction it is pointed. The end user determines it's usage. That might be a little too logical to you though.

I wonder if it's time to ban duct tape, since a person can take two "standard" round magazines and tape them together ?

Dude... You need to ditch that steel cased crap... Ammo prices have plummeted can get 420 round cans of Federal Lake city M193 for 131.68 as of Sunday at walmart. On stripper clips. Includes the speed loader.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:01 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,032 times
Problem is state like NY little by little make so difficult to have a CCW or guy a fire arm. Large mag usual sit in the owners closed and guess what that owner has to pay for the than ammo.

The real issue is not gun safety, but more catching prosecuting criminals who break the law. Even though I have some 30 round clip I rarely fill the mag to 30. Anything else is a waste of Ammo.

In a home invasion any self defense measure to protect human life is expectable. NY and California is states I will never live in.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:03 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
My house has never burned down yet I have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers placed throughout my house.

People who pretend that 5 rounds is all you need for self defense or you should spend more time at the range have no idea what it is like to use a gun in a life or death situation or how often home invasion robberies take place with multiple attackers targeting women, minorities and elderly as they are viewed as easy targets.
No no. These experts, who don't own a gun, have it all figured out. It's like watching a Bruce Lee movie claiming someone knows martial arts.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:06 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If you take a "hunting rifle" and put a scary black folding stock or flash suppressor on it or a scary looking for-grip or a tac-light on it, (or god forbid all four) now it's a military style weapon.
I never in my life knew that people like that existed but, here they are. "Looks" make a gun dangerous. I guess everyone with a tattoo is more dangerous than those without. Shaved heads, long beards. Scary stuff. We'll need to start profiling. I'll need to shave.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:35 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times
I'm buying as much ammo as possible so I don't have to purchase once the CA ammo laws go into effect. 1000 round boxes of 9mm blazer brass to the door is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies