Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 03:33 AM

5,861 posts, read 3,300,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I've had guns all my life, pistols, shotguns, and rifles. I enjoy shooting at a range too. But no one has answered WMaks' question.........why does anyone even need a high capacity magazine ? If one bullet can kill someone, and you have 5 or 6 left, what possible purpose is there for having more than that ?

So, I reask the question........why does anyone need one of these magazines ?
You can walk into any gun show in most states and buy a 50 round drum with zero questions asked. The magazines that he had were standard for the Glock. The purpose of having more rounds is what happens if you miss? Or taking the time to reload while in the middle of a shootout can cost you your life. Do you think a criminal turns around and says New York has a mag capacity law and I better obey it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 05:25 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
In NY I paid roughly 5200 per year for 3 tenths of an acre granted it was on the side of a lake in Columbia county, for property tax.
My cell phone bill used to be 120 per month...
My 2014 state tax return was .27
Cost $ to drink in bars... Cheap swill was 3/4 dollars per bottle. That bud light/busch light crap.
Mixed drinks were 10/12 dollars.
May issue state. Was denied 3 times for a concealed carry permit.

Moved to Florida.

Guns are Legal.
Magazines of all sizes are legal.
Shall issue state.
NO STATE INCOME TAX!
Sales tax is less.
Can drink in a bar for 20 bucks and get a buzz and leave the bartender a good tip... Domestic drafts 1.25, Domestic bottles 1.50 Import drafts 2, Import Bottles 2.25 Mixed drinks-$5
Cell phone bill dropped to 87 dollars (The reason-NY state taxes and surcharges)
Property taxes are a third of what they are in NY AND include garbage, recyclables, and yard waste pickup.
I LIVE IN TROPICAL AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FIREWORKS ARE LEGAL TOO! Used to have to go to New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania for the Fourth of July and sneak them back in. Mortars, Bottle Rockets. The good stuff.
I'll miss taking my SkiDoo up to tughill.
I'll miss snowboarding at Hunter, Gore, and Catamount.
I'm missing Saturday nights racing my stock cars at Lebanon Valley.
I'll miss the Adirondacks and Catskills
I miss the apples (wherever they get apples from down here, they suck!)
I miss the pizza (another thing that absolutely sucks down here)
But I will NEVER Return to NY.
I just may have to call up my lawyer back in NY and have him sell my grave plot down in Poughkeepsie that over looks the Hudson river.

Cuomo lost a good tax payer.
Plenty of reasons to retire to FL but starting out there is another story, many people from the NE retire their because of the cost of living. But the pizza and bagels are lousy and not many retirees live there year round. Some areas really taking a turn for the worst because of over population, the number of people moving there each year is astounding and unsupportable. One thousand people a day, crazy.

$5,200 per year is a steal in NY!

Old 05-01-2017, 05:46 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
The Pro Gun guys always have this excuse of wanting to protect yourself and you need lots of ammo in case there are multiple bad guys. Do you realize how rare those situations are ? Somehow, millions and millions of us go through our daily lives without the need to be carrying heat. How often do average citizens find themselves in situations that require you to shoot someone else..........never has happened to me in my 71 years on this planet.

Guns for hunting are one thing, but military style weapons are just that, to be used by the military. They serve one purpose and one purpose only.....to kill as many people as possible without reloading. If you guys can't take down one or several criminals with 5 or 10 rounds, you need to spend more time at the shooting range.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:54 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
The Pro Gun guys always have this excuse of wanting to protect yourself and you need lots of ammo in case there are multiple bad guys. Do you realize how rare those situations are ? Somehow, millions and millions of us go through our daily lives without the need to be carrying heat. How often do average citizens find themselves in situations that require you to shoot someone else..........never has happened to me in my 71 years on this planet.

Guns for hunting are one thing, but military style weapons are just that, to be used by the military. They serve one purpose and one purpose only.....to kill as many people as possible without reloading. If you guys can't take down one or several criminals with 5 or 10 rounds, you need to spend more time at the shooting range.
What's the difference between a 742 hunting rifle in .308 and an AR10 "military style weapon" in .308?

Old 05-01-2017, 07:33 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
You flat out asked the wrong question.

The question you should have asked (but failed to) is: "How many rounds might you need to stop someone else from committing a mass shooting?"

One correspondent on this thread is a retired peace officer. He can probably tell you that in the heat of the fight, your first round (or second or third or eighth) often don't find their marks. If you think that every round fired hits its target dead center, you've been watching too much TV and have confused what you have seen there with what happens in real life.
All of the above. Plus, most cops will retire without firing their service gun in a fire fight but I think it makes sense they have a weapon available.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
All of the above. Plus, most cops will retire without firing their service gun in a fire fight but I think it makes sense they have a weapon available.
Yes in 21 years in the NYPD I never fired my firearm once other than the range. I had it out numerous times but luckily I never had to use it.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkana View Post
Does his military service and the fact this involves guns mean that laws shouldn't apply in this case? Somehow I doubt you have the same sympathy for someone facing years of jail time for getting caught with a few grams of weed.
Actually weed went in the sewer. Weed was petty unless it was major weight.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:45 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The car isn't designed to kill a bunch of people at once. The gas tank isn't designed to kill a bunch of people at once. Your house isn't designed to kill a bunch of people at once. High capacity gun are designed to kill a bunch of people at once. Why should you decide how many people die in a mass shooting?
No, the mags are designed to allow me to maximize my time at the range shooting rather than reloading. Range time is paid for by the hour. In the case of needing my weapon to defend myself, my family, or some other innocent person against those seeking to cause grevious harm, I want the ability to throw as much lead in as short a time as possible. My preferred carry piece (yes, I'm authorized by the court to carry) is loaded with a 17 round magazine full of Hydrashocks, designed to shred flesh effectively, going into a target, do extensive damage, and never coming back out. And I always carry a second, loaded mag.

Any more questions?

Old 05-01-2017, 08:56 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:

My house has never burned down yet I have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers placed throughout my house.

People who pretend that 5 rounds is all you need for self defense or you should spend more time at the range have no idea what it is like to use a gun in a life or death situation or how often home invasion robberies take place with multiple attackers targeting women, minorities and elderly as they are viewed as easy targets.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The car isn't designed to kill a bunch of people at once. The gas tank isn't designed to kill a bunch of people at once. Your house isn't designed to kill a bunch of people at once. High capacity gun are designed to kill a bunch of people at once. Why should you decide how many people die in a mass shooting?
Actually guns are designed to explode projectiles out of the end of a barrel. Now what YOU aim it at, that is completely a human controlled outcome, not the gun maker or designer.
Just like a car or Semi, it's not designed to kill a bunch of people but when humans decide to aim it at a group and then push the gas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies