Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 12:58 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's amazing what one will do when one HAS TO in order to eat. Maybe welfare programs need reform and a return to "workfare"?
TANF has very strict work requirements, for any parent with a child over 5 they need to get a job, or they need to be actively involved in a job training program. If they do neither they lose most of their TANF cash. The kids still get a portion of the money but losing the parent's cash takes away a significant amount. It's been this way since 1996. When you see parents who are chronically unemployed and on welfare they probably have been reduced to a child only grant. And in any case no one can receive TANF after 60 months and many states have reduced that, Arizona only allows 12 months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 01:14 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
We need immigrant labor. Americans can't put their I-phones down long enough to pick a head of lettuce, let alone a bushel of tomatoes.

Guest worker program, with pathway to citizenship. Anything less and the crops rot in the fields and the price of a BLT goes to 25 bucks.
Not true at all.

It's all on Google and I suggest for the truth you do a Google search on what tripling farm pay would be what effect it would have at the grocery store where you pay your bill.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I'm rather enjoying watching this play out. So seldom you get to see people's beliefs crash headlong into their livelihoods and wallets. And since farmers did this to themselves for the most part, for once the architects will take the brunt of the fallout for their own choices. 3 1/2 years is a long time to weather negative business pressure and pulling out of TPP is also working against agriculture. Add in the usual farming problems with drought, high priced machinery and this might just be a real breaking point.

And if it all works out for the better, that is good too. Win/win
One must also remember that nowadays we're talking about corporate farms for the most part. The days of total mom and pop family farms were radically reduced years ago.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Humor me and do educate me on what assimilate means. One little caveat I was born in Portugal and immigrated to the US legally at 7 years of age with my parents and siblings. I'm a cultural fusion of two distinct cultures and have experienced the process very directly and personally I can verify that each culture has it's strengths and short comings. What is it that you think that I'm missing? I've also lived in California 40 years grew up around farming so I consider myself somewhat familiar with the topic of this thread. But then again perhaps all the way over in Tennessee you might have a better vantage point.
What you're missing about assimilation is that is has nothing to do with what language you speak to each other but that you are fluent in English and use that when speaking to others outside of your circle. It means that you don't expect nor demand that all forms,packaging,schooling or government contact be in your language. I shouldn't have to press ONE for english nor should I have to choose what language I want to use when at an ATM.
I shouldn't have to understand Spanish or any other language when I go to a big box store, drive down a street or read any product packaging.
There shouldn't be ballots,drivers tests or any other legal forms printed in 25 different languages and we should not have to pay for 25 different interpreters at hospitals,doctors offices or any government offices.

I don't expect anyone to drop their culture but I do not think it's right that there's whole swaths of many cities that are hispanic only areas with all the signage in Spanish or any other ethnicity for that matter. I get China or Japan town,little Italy etc. as it's usually a couple to a few blocks out of a whole city but more than that is NOT assimilating, it's recreating your country inside the U.S.. They also generally speak/are fluent in English in those small areas and don't demand outsiders speak their language to do business.

Assimilating is not constantly flying your (old) countries flag at every public event or protesting the flying of the U.S. flag as a micro aggression or as "divisive" while you fly your own flag. Assimilating is certainly not plastering your (old) countries flag all over your business,cars,homes etc. without any representation of your HOME country.
If you love your old country so much why did you come here?

Old 06-03-2017, 08:19 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
What you're missing about assimilation is that is has nothing to do with what language you speak to each other but that you are fluent in English and use that when speaking to others outside of your circle. It means that you don't expect nor demand that all forms,packaging,schooling or government contact be in your language. I shouldn't have to press ONE for english nor should I have to choose what language I want to use when at an ATM.
I shouldn't have to understand Spanish or any other language when I go to a big box store, drive down a street or read any product packaging.
There shouldn't be ballots,drivers tests or any other legal forms printed in 25 different languages and we should not have to pay for 25 different interpreters at hospitals,doctors offices or any government offices.

I don't expect anyone to drop their culture but I do not think it's right that there's whole swaths of many cities that are hispanic only areas with all the signage in Spanish or any other ethnicity for that matter. I get China or Japan town,little Italy etc. as it's usually a couple to a few blocks out of a whole city but more than that is NOT assimilating, it's recreating your country inside the U.S.. They also generally speak/are fluent in English in those small areas and don't demand outsiders speak their language to do business.

Assimilating is not constantly flying your (old) countries flag at every public event or protesting the flying of the U.S. flag as a micro aggression or as "divisive" while you fly your own flag. Assimilating is certainly not plastering your (old) countries flag all over your business,cars,homes etc. without any representation of your HOME country.
I agree with everything you posted.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:37 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:

I totally agree.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:47 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Humor me and do educate me on what assimilate means. One little caveat I was born in Portugal and immigrated to the US legally at 7 years of age with my parents and siblings. I'm a cultural fusion of two distinct cultures and have experienced the process very directly and personally I can verify that each culture has it's strengths and short comings. What is it that you think that I'm missing? I've also lived in California 40 years grew up around farming so I consider myself somewhat familiar with the topic of this thread. But then again perhaps all the way over in Tennessee you might have a better vantage point.
Well jimj pretty much answered this for me.

Your statement: People should learn the language and follow the laws of the US, but if you expect them to stop speaking their language in public and totally replace their culture for yours then that's a losing proposition.
No one expects that and that is not what assimilate means. People should definitely keep their culture alive and speak their native tongue if they choose but not expect the natives to bend and pander to their culture or isolate themselves by refusing to be absorbed into the larger community. And you know this can be done while retaining your language and cultural identity.

All the way over here in my little rural Mayland, TN unincorporated, I hear at least 3 different languages spoken daily. There are those of other cultures and homelands that assimilate and those who do not but no one gives a fig if they speak their native tongue and follow their culture.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:02 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well jimj pretty much answered this for me.

Your statement: People should learn the language and follow the laws of the US, but if you expect them to stop speaking their language in public and totally replace their culture for yours then that's a losing proposition.
No one expects that and that is not what assimilate means. People should definitely keep their culture alive and speak their native tongue if they choose but not expect the natives to bend and pander to their culture or isolate themselves by refusing to be absorbed into the larger community. And you know this can be done while retaining your language and cultural identity.

All the way over here in my little rural Mayland, TN unincorporated, I hear at least 3 different languages spoken daily. There are those of other cultures and homelands that assimilate and those who do not but no one gives a fig if they speak their native tongue and follow their culture.

IMO, speaking one's native language and following their native cultures would be advisable to do in the privacy of their own homes. That's true assimilation to me. The exception would be in ethnic business neighborhoods or establishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies