Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 04:04 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,523,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Oh...where to begin. Apparently, you have no clue as to what legal immigration involved in the past. Millions who came here were separated from their families, never to see them again. For example, when my grandparents came here almost 100 years ago, my grandmother left knowing that she most likely would never see her widowed mother and most of her siblings again. Whatever hope she held out for seeing them again all but disappeared when the old country ended up behind the Iron Curtain and was one of the most repressive ones. Her story wasn't unique. Our country never promised them family reunification.
What's the difference between a bunch of unskilled laborers coming to the US 100 years ago and a mix of skilled and unskilled laborers coming to the US today?

Quote:
Right now, our immigration policy is insanely based on chain migration. It makes no sense in this present time. Many of those coming here are unskilled and those sponsoring them don't hold out their end of the bargain which is to support them. Instead, many of these people end up on welfare.
Immigrants contribute to the US economy . . . considerably. Facts About Immigration and the U.S. Economy: Answers to Frequently Asked Questions | Economic Policy Institute

They are a little more productive than US-born people. They are distributed among different jobs, both skilled and unskilled. Do you want Social Security and Medicare to exist? Then you definitely need immigrants.

Quote:
Energy demand is "flat" or "decreasing"? Please explain how so. You mean to tell us that none of these people uses any energy? Is that why fracking is happening because energy demand is decreasing?
I mean that increases in efficiency and conservation have outstripped population and economic growth.

Quote:
As for water---just because it has been a problem in the West, how do you figure you adding millions more people isn't a bad thing? That's just insane. Add more people and make it even worse
Residential water use is a tiny fraction of overall water use. Taking California (home to many immigrants and a highly drought prone, semiarid State) as an example, residential water use is declining, and it is only ~15% of total water use. And the State is undergoing major population increases with declining total water use. Adding people is not the water problem in the West--it is a decades-old problem that will not go away while the West remains America's breadbasket.

Quote:
I suppose that you also think we have infinite buildable land, too? We don't. Good grief!
Well, I'll take California as an example again. With about 40 million people, 95% of the population lives on just 5% of the State's land. Land is not scarce in the West, which is much less dense than the East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 04:06 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
That statement doesn't even make any sense. Most cars these days are emissions friendly and more and more hybrids and electric cars are already being sold.
Yes, it doesn't make any sense. But since when did liberals makes sense?

Old 06-01-2017, 04:07 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,732,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Oh, yes it is.

When the crack in the south polar ice shelf finally splits, the fresh water it will release into the open ocean is going to change the seawater. The hunk that will go floating is the size of the entire northeast states combined.

That's going to kill off a lot of sea life. And it will raise the level of the Atlantic first, before eventually raising the level of the Pacific. One more inch of sea rise will be enough to put the cities that lie along the eastern seaboard under water. New York City all the way down to New Orleans could all become cities where boats will be needed to get around town, in streets that are 4 feet deep under water. Sorta like Venice.

No one knows yet how that much fresh water will do to earth's climate, but since fresh water is less dense than salt water, it's expected that the world's oceans will all heat up a few degrees- the fresh water will stay on the upper levels, and will keep the cold ocean from circulating upward.

A few degree is all it will take to turn the great prairies into great deserts. The Sahara was once all prairie. Once the topsoil blows away, a desert remains a desert forever. But no one can predict where the deserts will form, because this much ice has never broken off the pole in recorded history.

Humankind is in a race for survival. Those who don't realize a race is on will be left behind at the blocks. 200 other nations seem to be more aware of this than the United States.

But no one will be able to drop out of the race and go home, if they want a home to go home to.
Mike, I think you've just written 2019's summer blockbuster. If you'd like, I can put you in touch with Tim Burton. You know, the guy who directed Mars Attacks!

Old 06-01-2017, 04:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
When was the last time China kept up their end of the promise?
You mean ANY promise don't you?

Old 06-01-2017, 04:09 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,798,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
good

WE have done more to decrease our carbon footprint than any other country on earth... and those POS countries thought they were going to get a bailout from us through this agreement.

The dem politicians and special interests have side deals going on to skim cream from it. This is the only thing that would explain the way they're acting.

The left is showing just how BFE they truly are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, it doesn't make any sense. But since when did liberals makes sense?
They killed JFK because he was making sense! We ended up escalating Viet Nam because of that fateful day in Dallas. Party over country, and 58000 American kids and millions of innocent victims died for the dems war. I hate what both parties have become, but the dems have gone batsht loony toons now.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
no, correct. We elect them and they go behind our backs and do what they want. When it comes to life saving medications there should be price fixing and after R&D is recouped, the companies should only be allowed to sell it for X amount of profit or it's considered price gouging.
Not to go too far off topic but if y'all only knew the FACTS about drug pricing and what the difference of wholesale drug costs are between medial groups/hospital corporations large pharmacy corporations to retail pharmacies you'd REALLY want to fry someone and understand how bad the consumer is being shafted.
At least one group has about a 1000% ++ markup on the drugs it sells to the end user.
Anyway, that's for a different thread, back to regular programming!

Old 06-01-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I would like to see a comprehensive list of every single scientist across the globe - every single scientist - who specifically does research on climate and man's potential role in climate change.

And then I want to see a check next to every single global climate scientist, indicating that they have comprehensively researched (and then replicated that research to reach the same results) the effects of man on climate

And then I want to see a check next to every single global climate scientist indicating that they definitively believe (as a result of that extensive research) that man is the cause of global warming. Or cooling. Or whatever the case may be by this time next year.

Until I see all of those things I will not believe that "the scientific community is not divided on this issue".

I won't waste my time regurgitating everything others have said re: the weaknesses of the Paris Agreement, the role of other communities in that agreement, and our role in it.
EXACTLY!
If those people who buy into this whole meme want the majority of the public to take things seriously PROVE IT by scientific FACTS not theory...

Old 06-01-2017, 04:16 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

WE have done more to decrease our carbon footprint than any other country on earth... and those POS countries thought they were going to get a bailout from us through this agreement.

The dem politicians and special interests have side deals going on to skim cream from it. This is the only thing that would explain the way they're acting.

The left is showing just how BFE they truly are!

They killed JFK because he was making sense! We ended up escalating Viet Nam because of that fateful day in Dallas. Party over country, and 58000 American kids and millions of innocent victims died for the dems war. I hate what both parties have become, but the dems have gone batsht loony toons now.
Delusional ramblings ............

Old 06-01-2017, 04:17 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,513,459 times
If I may interject, one great thing to come out of this is all the CEO's of companies promising to clean up their air . Thats good, let them do it, and charge customers accordingly.
I am good with this, as long as it doesnt affect my finances. Our air is getting significantly cleaner due to many industry changes over time. But, to force business to do things that is not the same as the other countries, is not an Accord. Its someone saying, well, they are wealthier, they should pay out more and do more.. Nope, not anymore.
HooYah Trump.. Representing True Americans.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:18 PM

727 posts, read 390,966 times
When Pence was on the White House lawn lying through his teeth, I think I saw the clouds part and God was there. I'm pretty sure He said, "Fake-christian Pence is about to get a lightning bolt!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies