Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 11:27 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times

Advertisements

I can understand some conservative leaning sources like Fox News for instance. Fox heavily spins stories and emphasizes certain things over others in order to appeal to conservatives. They usually don't outright lie though. Alex Jones on the other hand is the very definition of conservative fake news. On top of that, the reporting on InfoWars seems to serve no purpose but to fan the flames of polarization and division in this country and promote hatred between ideologies.

Yet, many people trust Alex Jones and InfoWars to provide accurate reporting on events. It shapes their worldview and their reality and our entire country is worse off for it. Why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 11:28 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Alex Jones says the Sandy Hook Massacre was a hoax. If anybody believes that, they're low IQ Americans.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:29 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
For the love of god.......LOOK AT THIS GUY.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:36 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
A sizable portion of Americans believe the government is evil. I no of no one naive enough to believe the government is extremely honest, but most rational people, be them liberal or conservative, tend to accept that reality that governments have to do some morally gray things. As German chancellor Bismarck described it, the 'sausage making of government;' you need to have a stomach for that sort of thing.

More over, conservatism in the US turned more anti-government over the years. Reagan in particular is responsible for spreading around the mostly dishonest idea that government is always inefficient. As such, conservatism tends to be less in favor of government (in America). Add to that the general liberal bias in the media (I hold that people who think this are incredibly ****ing lazy; watch Fox or even better read the WSJ; both are conservative and just as valid as sources as CNN or the NYT respectively), many of the most hardline conservatives don't trust anything. And neither does Alex Jones. He appeals to their superstition. Yes, he's insane, but have you ever talked to his listeners?

Old 06-14-2017, 11:38 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I can understand some conservative leaning sources like Fox News for instance. Fox heavily spins stories and emphasizes certain things over others in order to appeal to conservatives. They usually don't outright lie though. Alex Jones on the other hand is the very definition of conservative fake news. On top of that, the reporting on InfoWars seems to serve no purpose but to fan the flames of polarization and division in this country and promote hatred between ideologies.

Yet, many people trust Alex Jones and InfoWars to provide accurate reporting on events. It shapes their worldview and their reality and our entire country is worse off for it. Why?
falax jones isn't a conservative

and many liberals were following him when he said 911 was an inside job, blaming bush

alex jones is a nut job conspiracy theorist who panders to the gullible, doesn't matter which party left or right

Last edited by workingclasshero; 06-14-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 06-14-2017, 11:39 AM

526 posts, read 386,418 times
Same reason people "support" or "trust" any other whackjob on TV. They like what they hear. Confirming already held beliefs. It's pablum for the easliy influnenced lumpenproles.

He's a political loon. Just like Maddow, Schultz, Hannity, Olberman, et, al.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:48 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
For the love of god.......LOOK AT THIS GUY.

Now there's an image I won't be able to forget for a while.

The man claims to be a "performance artist," though why anyone would want to tune in for this type of performance is beyond me.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:50 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Now there's an image I won't be able to forget for a while.

The man claims to be a "performance artist," though why anyone would want to tune in for this type of performance is beyond me.
*His lawyer claimed that. To my knowledge, he's not confirmed it and I've heard he's even denied it, though I've not yet personally confirmed it.

And as far as I'm concerned, rather or not he believes the **** he says is irrelevant. Other people do believe him and that makes him responsible.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:49 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
I have never listened to him. But I think the general public has been lied to so many times that they have come to believe that everything they are told by authority figures is a lie. And someone like him reinforces their belief.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:50 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Actually Democrats used to love Alex Jones he used to hate on Bush all of the time. That's how he got popular. No one heard of him before George Bush.

Now all of a sudden they try and claim he's the worst guy in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies