Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 02:21 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Well..by that logic..Russia's presence is illegal also. Before you defend with 'Assad asked them in'--remember that not everyone believes that Assad is the legitimate ruler of Syria.

Russia is just there protecting their interests...just like us.

US is not 'helping ISIS'..every-time I see one of you post that, I lose a little respect for you.

Anti-Assad does not equal ISIS. That is Russian and Syrian propaganda.

Russia had best back off and re-assess the situation..before they get a rude awakening as to the realities of the modern battlefield.
I'd agree with all this, except that Putin is a power-drunk crazy man. His continued dominance over a growing portion of the world, is all that he values. If he can't have that, he'd just as soon blow it all up. Juxtaposition him with the likes of Trump and there really isn't anything good that can come out of such confrontations. If the tinderbox is set off, we and the rest of the world, will probably never know what hit us.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 06-20-2017 at 02:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 03:25 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We can't win. It's impossible. We have no justification for being there. What do we win?
There you have it the million dollar question. What do we win? Nothing. Other than we proved we could beat Russia on ME soil. That is if it doesn't turn into a World War or a nuclear exchange. One has to remember that Russia isn't about to let anyone invade their country.
The cheer leaders only think about how we can beat them in a battle. Easy for them to say it when they aren't the ones fighting. This reminds me of a high school fight and the clingers standing around egging two guys to throw punches.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:31 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,734,337 times
This could be the point where the rubber meets the road in terms of electing Donald J Trump. Does he enter into war with Russia or does he back down, deflating his base?

I think both sides are just full of bluster and as much as I hate to admit it, I think Putin is the MORE rational of the two.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:33 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,734,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
There you have it the million dollar question. What do we win? Nothing. Other than we proved we could beat Russia on ME soil. That is if it doesn't turn into a World War or a nuclear exchange. One has to remember that Russia isn't about to let anyone invade their country.
The cheer leaders only think about how we can beat them in a battle. Easy for them to say it when they aren't the ones fighting. This reminds me of a high school fight and the clingers standing around egging two guys to throw punches.
"Would you like to play a game of thermonuclear war?"

Old 06-20-2017, 03:45 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Russia has permission to fly in Syria and Iran. We don't. Trump said he'd stay out and his goal is too fight ISIS. He lied.

Look at the new boss, same as the old boss.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Russia has permission to fly in Syria and Iran. We don't. Trump said he'd stay out and his goal is too fight ISIS. He lied.

Look at the new boss, same as the old boss.
<sigh> Always the same response from the Left. "Bush lied," "Trump lied" Tiresome. Of course Obama never lied ...right?

Old 06-20-2017, 04:57 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,831,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We will get our asses kicked over there. We cant even defeat Afghanistan.
Hell, the Russians couldn't defeat Afghanistan either, so I'd say we're evenly matched.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I would submit that Russia is talking big and is not looking to engage the US militarily. This statement is about making the Kremlin look good to the Russian public.

What it really reveals is that Russia is not our friend and it sure puts a new light on Trump's view of Putin as a "great guy".
It has NOTHING to do with Putin. We would be acting no different if Russia was meddling in Mexico. Actually, we would be far more forceful.

Quote:
And underscores the difference of opinion between Trump and the US military.

Russia sees a strategic reason to have influence over Syria (and the ME) and the US doesn't want that at all. That is why we are there in the first place. And anyone who doesn't see the direct path from destabilizing the Hussein regime in Iraq to this cluster**** really isn't up to speed!
Why did few speak up when Obama got us involved to start with?

Old 06-20-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
You may be misunderstanding some of what you quoted. I never supported our going into Iraq the second time.

Though I do not think that the USA invaded Iraq over just oil, though there was a definite oil connection. We could have occupied Iraq and taken our share if that was our motive. Instead it cost the US taxpayers a small fortune.

And we agree that Russia may just be talking big, but we should take the threat seriously. Though I still doubt that Russia will will start a conflict directly with the USA over a Syrian jet.

As to why the USA shot down the jet, we are being told it was attacking our allies in Syria. I will take that at face value until shown otherwise.
It wasn't actual oil. It's keeping oil traded in dollars. Wall Street is booming.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I'd agree with all this, except that Putin is a power-drunk crazy man. His continued dominance over a growing portion of the world, is all that he values. If he can't have that, he'd just as soon blow it all up. Juxtaposition him with the likes of Trump and there really isn't anything good that can come out of such confrontations. If the tinderbox is set off, we and the rest of the world, will probably never know what hit us.
Putin isn't the one that invaded Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Yemen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies