Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you "turn back the clock" on feminism?
Female - Yes, would turn back the clock on feminism 19 8.64%
Female - No, would not turn back the clock on feminism 89 40.45%
Male - Yes, would turn back the clock on feminism 46 20.91%
Male - No, would not turn back the clock on feminism 66 30.00%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:26 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
When the feminist movement was going on there was a commercial on TV and it goes like this.... A woman dancing in front of the camera singing....

I can bring home the bacon <baboom>,
Fry it up in the pan <baboom>,
and never, never, never, let you forget you're a man..
Because I'm a wooommmaan. Ajali

In other words, feminist lied to convince men that women can work full time, be mom, be Betty Crocker and Molly Maid, and still have the energy to be hot in bed ... worse, women who try to do it all are typically very unhappy, there are some men who "think" they do their fair share or think they'll lose their manhood if they do anything like clean .. some men may think it may fall off if they even think about cleaning. And then they are perplexed as to why women are exhausted.

Yes, these neanderthals still exist. Surprising they are dragging their woman around by the hair with a club in hand. And if you read that and think, nah this doesn't describe me... I dare you to ask your wife what she thinks lol
If she wants to work 60 hours a week while I'm a stay at home dad, by all means, go for it. Lots of professional men are still working their arse off to support a stay at home mom and kids. The wage gap is no more, half of Ph.D.'s are going to women now. What seems to be the problem? Cut the bs and live in reality. If you can't handle reversed gender roles, just admit it. This is where the hypocrisy comes in at. Picking and choosing gender roles and working the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 09:42 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,576 times
Feminism should have ended a hundred years ago when women got their rights.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:42 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
If she wants to work 60 hours a week while I'm a stay at home dad, by all means, go for it. Lots of professional men are still working their arse off to support a stay at home mom and kids. The wage gap is no more, half of Ph.D.'s are going to women now. Cut the bs and live in reality. If you can't handle reversed gender roles, just admit it.
Who said anything about reversed gender rolls? I was talking about when both work but some men (neanderthals) live still in the dark ages expecting their working wife to do everything at home too. Housework . If a full time working woman has to b*tch to get the man to contribute his fair share at home he also qualifies as one of these dark age men. If you want your wife to contribute financially, you have to be willing to contribute at home. But since you mention reverse gender rolls, you're right, if one is a stay at home, it works both ways.

I know a couple (happy man, unhappy wife) with 3 kids, 2 still at home but one just turned 18. Her hubby is a stay at home while she works full time. Their house is a disaster and she also has to do the cooking. Dishes will stay in the sink for days until she gets to them. Laundry, same thing, kids are lazy. He thinks he a man's man and it might fall off if he did anything "as lowly as housework". As you can tell I don't have an ounce of respect for him as if he cares since he's got it really good. Two more kids to go and I wouldn't be surprised if that situation changes. I know a couple that divorced over it too.

You seem awful defensive?

Last edited by petch751; 10-10-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 10:02 PM

Bill and Melinda Gates Time Poverty
Melinda Gates explains the gender gap in unpaid labor and how it hurts the global economy.

We all have 24 hours a day,” Gates says. “It’s kind of funny to me that we’re in 2016, and who decided that women should be the ones to do all this unpaid work? We don’t even call what’s happening at home ‘work.’ Unpaid work is work.”

And when women are too busy cleaning and cooking, they have less time for paid work. Girls in many countries fall behind in school because they're swamped with tedious chores. If women participated in the economy at the same levels as men, she writes, global GDP could increase by 12 percent.

Couples should start having conversations about how they can redistribute unpaid chores more fairly, Gates says. That means more American dads pushing vacuum cleaners, and more husbands like one Gates met in Tanzania, who volunteered to help his wife fetch water.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...crunch/470379/

Old 10-10-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The emancipation of women, as opposed to radical feminism, is the largest single societal force since the Enlightenment, and I don't have a problem with it. What I do have a problem with is the attachment of all "women's issues" to a broad-spectrum Leftist ideology. That and, at the other end of the economic spectrum, the continued hijacking of real progress by Madison Avenue, Hollywood, and a culture of trending, spending, and gender-bending. It's the young, our boys in particular, with a diminished sense of a heritage and the responsibility that goes with it, who will pay the cost over the long run.
Yesterday's feminist are the same as today's feminist.

Back then, if a woman didn't marry they were considered old maids. If a woman's husband beat her, she had to stay with the pathetic "man" for several reasons, divorce was taboo, before the No Fault Divorce law in 1969, spouses had to show the faults of the other party, such as adultery, and could easily be overturned by recrimination, women could not have a checking account or get a mortgage, they were uneducated so they couldn't get a decent job. If she worked and was harassed, she couldn't sue for sexual harassment.

My aunt was married to an abuser and there was not much a woman could do against an abusive husband other than to leave, but the law and the social beliefs didn't make it easy. She divorced him (back in the 60's), obviously one black eye too many, so I know a lot about what women tolerated and had to go through to get out of the marriage back in those days and why I always believed no-one should ever depend on no one, not a man, not a women, not the government. When you depend on another you give them power over you and they could abuse that power.

So OP, to answer your question is no. Who would want that or even risk being in that position?

Last edited by petch751; 10-10-2017 at 10:35 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 10:21 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have never in my life seen a woman give someone a dirty look because a man held a door open for them.
fwiw this has happened to me more than once and I know of numerous other guys that have said the same thing. This is a third wave feminism and hating men, men are evil issue. It's women that don't like men and they always proclaim themselves to be feminists. Quite often, they have blue hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgMFWje38nU&t=208s

Old 10-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
fwiw this has happened to me more than once and I know of numerous other guys that have said the same thing. This is a third wave feminism and hating men, men are evil issue. It's women that don't like men and they always proclaim themselves to be feminists. Quite often, they have blue hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgMFWje38nU&t=208s
I appreciate it when a man holds a door open for me. It's a nice gesture. Today feminism is taken too far.

Being shown around on my 1st day on a job by a girl, she said, "listen, around here if you don't have something hanging between you're legs, don't ask". I was surprised by her comment. I worked there about 5 ys and never saw or experience anything that justified her comment. It was 30 years ago though and she was older, so that puts her in the feminist movement era, maybe she had bad experiences. I hear of more disrespect of wives on the home front because of the inequality of work at home than I've seen at work.

Last edited by petch751; 10-10-2017 at 10:51 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 10:54 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
I think this whole thread is useless without a shared understanding of what defines "feminism.". Most everyone gets some butch dyke stereotype in their minds, but the term can encompass some very different things over the spectrum of time periods.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I think this whole thread is useless without a shared understanding of what defines "feminism.". Most everyone gets some butch dyke stereotype in their minds, but the term can encompass some very different things over the spectrum of time periods.
As I said, feminism of yesterday is not the same as today. The same as liberalism of yesterday is not the same as liberalism today.

Last edited by petch751; 10-10-2017 at 11:52 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 11:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,610 times
i can't even with this post. men holding doors open? WTF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies