Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you "turn back the clock" on feminism?
Female - Yes, would turn back the clock on feminism 19 8.64%
Female - No, would not turn back the clock on feminism 89 40.45%
Male - Yes, would turn back the clock on feminism 46 20.91%
Male - No, would not turn back the clock on feminism 66 30.00%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Well, for starters Trump has admitted on tape that he enjoys sexually assaulting women and Pence is part of a movement to deny women their own choices in health care, etc.
Well this is a free country and we have the right to free speech. Not so sure secretly recording personal conversations is legal though. If you think for one minute that both men and women have not said vulgar and sexually explicit or disgusting things in private discussions I have some swamp land to sell you.
And your sure he said "I enjoy sexually assaulting women". Even if this were true, which it is not, peoples personal sexcapades, fantasies, fetishist, etc. have no affect on law or peoples legal rights. So how again is some private boys locker room talk years ago turning back the clock on feminism?

And sorry but you will have to be more specific on how Pence is denying women health care choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 10:57 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Women are still not equal to men - not by a longshot.

And now we have an out and proud misogynist in the White House (and a the VP) who are already trying to turn back the clock on feminism.

The work of feminism is far from done so there can be no turning back.
hmm, maybe he should have a casting couch like Hollywood does <sarcasm>

Are you referring to the president that recognized and hired women for high positions based on qualifications not to satisfy a specific number. Hey, why don't you scream about "binders full of women". Do you liberals realize how pathetically ridiculous that was?

Surely you have the common sense to know that companies hire people because they need a job done... or do you? I as a woman don't want to be hired based on satisfying a number. If a company chooses to hire a man over me because he's "more qualified" I certainly would not scream sexism. Of course I am a business owner so I have to use common sense, hire people who are qualified and will get the job done and serve customers well, not base hiring decisions on some liberal demand ending up hiring people who don't serve customers well.

Last edited by petch751; 10-11-2017 at 11:10 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So do you know of instances where men were allowed in battered women's shelters (I assume what is meant by refuges) by claiming they identify as a woman, in order to what rape women?
I cant find evidence that male prisoners can go to women's prisons by just saying they identify as women and I dont see how this is a feminist issue. Women are already victims of sexual predation by other women and by male guards in women's' prisons. I think that is a bigger concern than transgender men being placed in a woman's prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
huh? So if someone who identifies as a woman but is biologically a male has to go to the restroom who do they tell before they go inside? Are you really suggesting that we have potty police outside every public restroom?

As far as sex offenders, whether trans, gay, bi or hetero in California they are all kept in special housing units called "SNY" right along side other inmates who are vulnerable to assault like cops and prison guards who are doing time. If an inmate has had sex reassignment surgery they are housed in a prison appropriate to their current gender but usually housed separately from other inmates until the administration determines that they won't be assaulted in general population. Here's an article about an inmate who received sex reassignment surgery while in prison. Given her experience I doubt if very many other inmates will be signing up for surgery California: Transsexual inmate says women's prison is 'torture'
Without self-ID laws women have the right to challenge men entering female-only spaces (for instance at a gym they can complain to staff) - once self-ID laws come into power it would be a hate crime to challenge them and nothing can be done until they commit a crime - no chance to prevent the crime.

Sex offenders are asking to transition at a much greater rate than non-sex offenders in UK prisons. Self-ID isn't law there yet but its introduction is being debated currently.

Things that affect women's rights are always feminist issues - the factsheet here will explain this much better than I can.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:17 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
hmm, maybe he should have a casting couch like Hollywood does <sarcasm>

Are you referring to the president that recognized and hired women for high positions based on qualifications not to satisfy a specific number. Hey, why don't you scream about "binders full of women". Do you liberals realize how pathetically ridiculous that was?

Surely you have the common sense to know that companies hire people because they need a job done... or do you? I as a woman don't want to be hired based on satisfying a number. If a company chooses to hire a man over me because he's "more qualified" I certainly would not scream sexism. Of course I am a business owner so I have to use common sense, hire people who are qualified and will get the job done and serve customers well, not base hiring decisions on some liberal demand ending up hiring people who don't serve customers well.

Defending Mr "Grab em by the *****" I see. And I agree, Trump is the Harvey Weinstein of Politics.

And if you think this is just about hiring decisions, you've been living in a nice cushy bubble for way too long.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Without self-ID laws women have the right to challenge men entering female-only spaces (for instance at a gym they can complain to staff) - once self-ID laws come into power it would be a hate crime to challenge them and nothing can be done until they commit a crime - no chance to prevent the crime.

Sex offenders are asking to transition at a much greater rate than non-sex offenders in UK prisons. Self-ID isn't law there yet but its introduction is being debated currently.

Things that affect women's rights are always feminist issues - the factsheet here will explain this much better than I can.
Do self ID law apply to women who identify as men, allowing them access to male prisons, dressing rooms, restrooms, sports and other male only spaces. Wait are there male only spaces? Are men allowed to have male only spaces?

Old 10-11-2017, 11:27 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,359 times
What I hate is that feminists often judge women by men's standards. Maybe women are inherently better at womanly roles than being a CEO. (It really would depend on the individual, but I'm talking about general genetic trends.) Why is that even bad?

Old 10-12-2017, 09:55 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,075 times
Quote:
What legal and civil rights for women has the current POTUS and VP revoked or in what way are they trying to turn back the clock?
I feel women have obtained equal rights but agree that there are still issues specific to women that continue to need the attention of feminism such as reproductive health and freedoms, childcare/maternity to name a few.
The childcare/maternity issue is simple, don't have a kid until you're married and can afford it. Stop trying to take men and fathers out of the equation and raising daughters to not like men.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:29 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The childcare/maternity issue is simple, don't have a kid until you're married and can afford it. Stop trying to take men and fathers out of the equation and raising daughters to not like men.
Is there free childcare now? Please tell me how to apply for it, my son is a single dad with sole custody of his son, when he works we watch his child but when we're not home he pays a ton for childcare, so this is great information as soon as you give us the details I will pass it along to him. Thanks!!!

Old 10-12-2017, 11:51 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Quote:
Do self ID law apply to women who identify as men, allowing them access to male prisons, dressing rooms, restrooms, sports and other male only spaces. Wait are there male only spaces? Are men allowed to have male only spaces?
Technically yes but in reality, not so much, maybe because transmen aren't as concerned about entering male only spaces. And yes there are male only spaces, as there should be. Did you read the fact sheet? It explains the issue quite well. I think its really important to address the issues affecting transpeople but women cannot be thrown under the bus in the process - add in gender-neutral spaces (extra to the sex-segregated spaces, not instead of), special wings in prisons, things like that.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:21 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Because of some 2005 quote from Access Hollywood?
And, for the rest of her life, Hillary is going to have to live with the fact that, even with that ^^^^^, she still didn't win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies