Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 02:06 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
SImply because a liberal denies it, doesn't make it true.

I don't believe they tweeted out quotes from the DOI in July 2009 , Obama's first year, about tyrants. If you can demonstrate that they did, people will change their minds on it.
That's a good point. Can some of you liberals in here find us some NPR quotes from Obama's initial year in office?

If so, that still doesn't change the basic argument that this was just a knee jerk reaction from some people due to the incendiary nature of the mainstream media constantly painting Trump as a tyrant.

I am admitting the people were just assuming wrongly but that it was somewhat understandable considering no one trusts what the media is up to anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 02:08 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,412,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Oh that Caesar thing again. You are aware that a 2013 production of Caesar used Obama, are you not? You are aware that costuming Caesar as a current leader is practically as old as the play itself, are you not? And most importantly, you are aware that the whole point of the play is that the assassination doesn't solve a thing but ruins the lives of the assassins?

No I don't. From here you look way over-sensitive.

This is exactly what you said - "Everybody understands NPR is a leftwing outfit and those tweets were anti-Trump."

Those tweets were the DoI, and you said they were anti-trump. It's simple logic - if A=C and B=C, then A=B.

Walk it back or own it, but stop trying to duck it.
Sensitive is now defined as disagreeing with a liberal on anything.

Nobody has said the DOI is anti-Trump. You trying to spin it that way, and you obviously just cutting and pasting that spin from the liberal sources that pop up when you do a Google search. They are all using that exact spin to mock conservatives.

The play Caesar was not telling people not to assasinate a tyrant. I see you got the CNN, MSBNC spin memorized.

Brutus was portrayed as a tragic hero, it was about his inner conflict , he chose to betray a friend for the good of Rome as he saw it. The mesage of making Trump the tyrant is a person who kills Trump is a hero.

Shakespeare would have to think people are dumb if he did the play to let people know killing a king is risky business.

Keep in mind John Booth acted in Caesar and he was inspired by the play to kill Lincoln who he saw as a tyrant.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:09 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, so can you find on NPR's twitter the same quotes about tyrants from the DOI on twitter during the Obama years on July 4th?
No, this is the first year they have tweeted it as well as reading it. Here it is from 2015. The Annual Reading Of The Declaration Of Independence : NPR

And they do THE WHOLE THING, so it includes a lot of sentences that don't include the word 'tyrant'. Just in case you are unfamiliar with the DoI.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Oh that Caesar thing again. You are aware that a 2013 production of Caesar used Obama, are you not? You are aware that costuming Caesar as a current leader is practically as old as the play itself, are you not? And most importantly, you are aware that the whole point of the play is that the assassination doesn't solve a thing but ruins the lives of the assassins?

No I don't. From here you look way over-sensitive.

This is exactly what you said - "Everybody understands NPR is a leftwing outfit and those tweets were anti-Trump."

Those tweets were the DoI, and you said they were anti-trump. It's simple logic - if A=C and B=C, then A=B.

Walk it back or own it, but stop trying to duck it.
Maybe you just suck at understanding the basics here, did you ever think about that?

On the production of JC featuring an Obama look alike:

https://townhall.com/columnists/jack...aesar-n2343164

Quote:
I had two questions:

(1) That “Obama-Caesar†was depicted by a tall black man does not mean that he was a genuine likeness of Obama (unless you believe that all tall black men look alike). Was the character really a spitting image of the 44th POTUS?

(2) Was “Obama-Caesar†mocked, ridiculed, humiliated, and then stabbed bloody as was his Trump counterpart?

Unless both of these questions are answered in the affirmative, the analogy that leftists are trying to draw between these two Caesar productions is a false analogy and their argument fallacious.

Surely enough, Rob Melrose, the director of the 2012 “Obama-esque†Julius Caesar play, confirmed my suspicions—even though, given his praise of the 2017 production and his condescension toward the play’s Trump-supporting critics, this was certainly not his intention.

To my first question, Melrose writes:

“Our Obama-inspired production…didn’t have any gestures that tipped our hand to say ‘this is definitely Obama.’†In glaring contrast, “the Trump connections are more overt†in the 2017 Public Theater’s production (emphasis added). Trump-Caesar “wears an overly long red tie†and “Calpurnia [Caesar’s thirdand final wife] speaks with a Slovenian accent [.]â€

Melrose notes that there is significantly more comic relief in Trump-Caesar than was present in his own version. “There is also much more humor and satire in the Public Theater production.†He commends the director, Oskar Eustis, “for finding so many genuinely funny moments†in a play from which it is difficult to mine humor, for “Caesar usually is not a very funny play [.]â€

Old 07-05-2017, 02:13 PM

So this is the first year they have tweeted the DOI , which just happens to be Trump's first year in office.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
No, this is the first year they have tweeted it as well as reading it. Here it is from 2015. The Annual Reading Of The Declaration Of Independence : NPR

And they do THE WHOLE THING, so it includes a lot of sentences that don't include the word 'tyrant'. Just in case you are unfamiliar with the DoI.
Wait....this is the first year it was tweeted?

Again, it doesn't matter. I'll repost something I already posted earlier to help you get it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99
No I said that it could be taken as incendiary by some people because they think either A.) NPR is purposefully quoting the Dec of Ind in order to insinuate that Trump is a tyrant OR B.) people don't know it's the Dec of Ind and just assume NPR is spouting off resistance stuff. Either way it's because of the climate of hyper partisanship and the media creating a riff.

How hard was it to get? That's why I wonder if some of you liberals are being obtuse?
It wasn't NPRs fault I believe, but that it was all a knee jerk reaction to the current political climate.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:18 PM

I'm not sure what the issue is if some conservatives think NPR's motivation for the DOI tweets are anti-Trump. What difference does it make to a liberal what conservatives think about NPR's motivation.

We know NPR is in fact anti-Trump. We don't need to use these tweets for evidence that NPR is leftwing.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:19 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's a good point. Can some of you liberals in here find us some NPR quotes from Obama's initial year in office?
Reading Of The Declaration Of Independence : NPR

Quote:
If so, that still doesn't change the basic argument that this was just a knee jerk reaction from some people due to the incendiary nature of the mainstream media constantly painting Trump as a tyrant.

I am admitting the people were just assuming wrongly but that it was somewhat understandable considering no one trusts what the media is up to anyways.
It's the freaking DoI, for heaven's sake. You know, the thing that July 4th celebrates?????

And no, it's not understandable at all. The DoI is what UNITES us, and it doesn't belong to either the left OR the right. It isn't a weapon.

And to answer the obvious question, if Bill O'Reilly had ever made an annual tradition of reading the DoI, I doubt you would seen a mass reaction from the left. Anymore than we were outraged that in 2013, a Shakespeare production staged Caesar as Obama.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:21 PM

yeah because the left is never outraged over anything. They only been outraged by the CNN wrestling meme for the past 4 days and still have not accepted their party lost the election. Trying to blame Russia and anything else but their candidate, and their party's message.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:25 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Dude, don't be so coy. It's not a hard core liberal news outlet. I get it. I actually listen to some NPR like This American Life with Ira Glass, but some of the editorial and opinions I've heard and some of the content they produce online leans left. It's not anywhere near the bias of MSNBC but it does lean left rather than right.
Leaning left doesn't mean they are a "part of the resistance" or have an anti-Trump agenda (as being argued by others here). There is a difference between the beliefs of some individuals who work at NPR (who I'm sure are liberal) and the aim of the entire organization to remain as unbiased/non-partisan as possible. If you listen to their content, it's obvious that they aim to be as fair as possible to the news content of the day. Find me a news organization that is less biased than NPR - you will struggle to do so.

If you think this rehashing of the events is anti-Trump, then maybe you need to step back and ask "why". Trump's track record with the truth might have something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies