Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:26 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No it's not. Shouldn't the president be talking about a historic disaster instead of what the NFL does. I think so.
I'm pretty sure Trump can multi-task.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I'm pretty sure Trump can multi-task.
I don't. He's gets on a tangent about one thing and won't let it go.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:31 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm not claiming it is a super cohesive argument or that he is making very clear and specific claims. But if you parse his words and understand the context in which they were made, it is not that hard to understand the motivation. It's really not that confusing. To me, at least.

Regarding the article, I'm not sure if you posted that to agree or disagree with me?
I believe there have been clear cut cases where police acted wrongly. One example that comes to
mind is the black guy at the gas station in SC who was shot dead.

At the same time, I think much of black culture is set up to promote a certain violent kind of lifestyle, and many of the cases that have been blown up by activists and the media, such as the Michael Brown case, show the police action was more than likely justifiable.

There are enormous problems in the inner cities, and in impoverished areas. But Kaepernick's general complaint that blacks are "oppressed" is hard to stomach for millions upon millions of white Americans who see black players collecting huge paychecks and who have never themselves done one thing to oppress a minority in their lives.

I also think it's troubling that Kaepernick chose the flag/anthem as his focus of protest, because that isn't normally associated primarily with the police. The fact that his Muslim BLM activist girlfriend politicized him also rubs me the wrong way. And a guy complaining about oppression who was adopted and raised by white people? When was he oppressed? And let's not forget about him wearing the Che Guevara shirt...talk about people being oppressed!

Hope that made sense.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:32 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
The second, recent, group are definitely doing so in support of the first group (Kap + the few others that did the same thing?). And there is certainly an anti-Trump feel to it.

I'm not necesarilly claiming they have the same motivations. I was, earlier, really only talking about the protests started by Kap.

To your last point - I certainly am not claiming this is a well-run protest or movement. But I don't think it is that unclear why he started doing it. Absent a website or the checklist you want to see, I don't know if I have anything else to add here.
I think the original protest by Kap was unclear beyond "police brutality" which is little more than a talking point.

Think about this long term. What's the end game here?

Everyone kneels and we all get used to it and then what? There's no cohesion. No substantive message. No mechanisms in place to measure anything.

Not to keep berating you on why group 1 did it or if group 2 did it for the same reason but it shouldn't take a miscellaneous guy on a message board to tell us what is going on. And you're speculating when it comes down to it because nobody has said anything.

Just from a competence standpoint this has been frustrating. If I believed in something and had that kind of money, organization, and media capital I'd sure as hell be able to do better than this. A box of rocks could do better than this.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:32 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
his teammates made themselves look bad by not joining him....................Ben his QB said he felt bad and couldn't sleep........too late Ben.......Steelers head coach is an a-hole.

Ben Roethlisberger Regrets Steelers Boycotting Anthem; Trump Supports Fan Boos | Hollywood Reporter
I'm not surprised he "regrets" his actions and couldn't sleep the night before.
Roethlisberger is the Quarterback, a LEADER on the team and he didn't have the guts to do what he knew was the right thing ...... but Villanuevo did. He did it quietly and to Ben's credit, Villanuevo asked permission from Ben and got it before going to the mouth of the tunnel. He stood quietly at attention with hand over heart.

It's who he is, what he is ..... A Patriot.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I believe there have been clear cut cases where police acted wrongly. One example that comes to

At the same time, I think much of black culture is set up to promote a certain violent kind of lifestyle, and many of the cases that have been blown up by activists and the media, such as the Michael Brown case, show the police action was more than likely justifiable.

There are enormous problems in the inner cities, and in impoverished areas. But Kaepernick's general complaint that blacks are "oppressed" is hard to stomach for millions upon millions of white Americans who see black players collecting huge paychecks and who have never themselves done one thing to oppress a minority in their lives.

Hope that made sense.
I too want to know the specific cases they are referencing.

You can speculate all you want but as long as these fools just kneel down and tell us little more we simply don't know.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I'm not surprised he "regrets" his actions and couldn't sleep the night before.
Roethlisberger is the Quarterback, a LEADER on the team and he didn't have the guts to do what he knew was the right thing ...... but Villanuevo did. He did it quietly and to Ben's credit, Villanuevo asked permission from Ben and got it before going to the mouth of the tunnel. He stood quietly at attention with hand over heart.

It's who he is, what he is ..... A Patriot.
Sad to say, he has since apologized for breaking with the team position.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:42 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

Hope that made sense.
Maybe you should read the stories of these black players. Most came from nothing but had strong moms who worked hard and pushed for their success. Why is it hard for you to stomach. Millions upon millions don't see race like you do. We are all americans...black, white, red, brown...we are all the same.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Maybe you should read the stories of these black players. Most came from nothing but had strong moms who worked hard and pushed for their success. Why is it hard for you to stomach. Millions upon millions don't see race like you do. We are all americans...black, white, red, brown...we are all the same.
A lot of people have come from nothing. I agree we are all Americans....and that's why the disrespect for the anthem and flag are so disturbing.

I don't really understand your comment.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Trump has been very successful at politicizing pretty much any issue. He thrives on this division.
One problem with this "Blame Trump for all perceived grievances - these Dis-Respectful 'protests' agains the American Flag and Anthem started over a year BEFORE he was even elected.

He just brought attention to the FACT that they were escalating ..... and said "ENOUGH".
Turns out that the Majority of the Citizens agree with him, and that is not really HIS fault at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies