Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 07:50 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times

Advertisements

Hubbie has several firearms, I am not at all interested in them. He does some hunting and since we live in a rural area, they are also there for self defense. He uses them responsibility and is a good shot. So I don't mind or care about him exercising his 2nd ammendment rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 07:56 AM

32,952 posts, read 36,412,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
These posts are a tad sexist.

Not only men have or enjoy guns. I have more than I can count on one hand and my dear husband has his own. They are for protection, recreation, and hunting.

Oh and I can carry in all 50 states
It's the nature of the language.

Your job? If you can carry in Hawai'i, California, and New Jersey, you're not the average citizen.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:57 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,996 times
I'm curious as to why I've seen people mention needing more protection in rural areas ?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:59 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,643,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I'm curious as to why I've seen people mention needing more protection in rural areas ?
My guess, they might feel it has to do with longer police response time.

Personally, I feel the greater threat comes in more densely populated areas.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:00 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My guess, they might feel it has to do with longer police response time.
That's my assumption as well.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:06 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,813,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's the nature of the language.

Your job? If you can carry in Hawai'i, California, and New Jersey, you're not the average citizen.
I was teasing them - hence the smiley.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:06 AM

25,968 posts, read 22,154,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Nobody's business, especially the government's.
That is what I always thought. When I took my son to see a new doctor when we relocated here 5 years ago, one of the questions asked by the person filling out the paperwork was "Do you have a gun in the house?" I was so shocked by the question, I just sat there saying nothing. Probably wrinkling my nose, looking confused, and after 2 or 3 minutes, I said "No?" I would say she probably got the feeling we had an arsenal! It made me so angry that they asked, I called the admin to inquire, and they said this was a new requirement. I called my congress people and voiced an opinion there. Luckily, we practice mostly homeopathic medicine. I don't like anyone in my business that doesn't belong there.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:10 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,659,064 times
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
So the answer is yes.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:17 AM

5,071 posts, read 2,282,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
While it's nobody's business what I have, I think it's readily apparent to those who've read my posts that I'm a gun owner. Our place in PA is very rural. I have guns out here for two 'protection' reasons. The first is wildlife. We had a bear come through a screen one night. (We don't have air conditioning, so we leave our big casement windows open at night.) It's funny now, but it wasn't very funny at 5 am. Fortunately, as soon as the dogs barked, he ran off. Should it happen again, and he can't get out or sees my kids or dogs as a food source, I'll be able to protect them.

Second reason is because our place was broken into twice while it was under construction. We haven't had any problems since, but there is a problem with some meth addicts a few towns over. We're too far out of town to get service from the town, so we'd have to wait for state police to show up. Could take a while.

I do keep a single handgun in NJ, but I guess I don't feel as exposed there, if that makes sense. Plus, in a lot of less rural areas it's too much of a pain to own guns. I refused to get one in NYC due to the outrageous costs. Costs not only for the application, but you can't buy ammo online, so to shoot you have to pay membership fees to a range, buy their over-priced ammo, and pay your re-registration to the city every three to five years.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:20 AM

2,555 posts, read 2,742,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Technically yes. We have a shotgun that lives in a closet that my husband brought to the marriage for sentimental reasons. However, we don't believe it actually works (although it might).

Having guns in the house makes me uncomfortable but I am OK with those those who want them at home for protection provided they are properly secured. Around here it unfortunately seems that there are a lot of accidents from guns kept for protection (e.g. a kid shooting another kid).

Of course it works if you have the shells for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies