Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 03:15 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,402,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think the reason is that Not only is Guam a US territory, but it houses several American military installations (USMC, USN, and USAF).
However as pointed out earlier....if they announce flight paths, etc.....its a legal thing to do. Which makes it a surprisingly well thought out thing from north koreas point of view. They could get China to defend them, and pull the US into a very complex and dangerous situation.

Or...make the US look even weaker. So its a dangerous gamble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 03:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
Quote:
I think the reason is that Not only is Guam a US territory, but it houses several American military installations (USMC, USN, and USAF).
never pi$$ off a marine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
However as pointed out earlier....if they announce flight paths, etc.....its a legal thing to do. Which makes it a surprisingly well thought out thing from north koreas point of view. They could get China to defend them, and pull the US into a very complex and dangerous situation.

annoucing that you are firing a missile towards guam might create a legal issue, but announcing that you are going to fire a missile AT guam, there is no legal grey area there, that is an direct threat and an act of war.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:28 PM

39,257 posts, read 27,655,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Yes, it is.

China and Russia will not help the US and China will not allow the US to take over North Korea, nor allow North Koreans to escape thru the Chinese borders. It will be a very hard time for China. So we will have to see how China plays the game.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
never pi$$ off a marine.

You got that right.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:47 PM

1,743 posts, read 993,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Me too. Two tubby guys with huge egos, neither of which are fit to run a country.

The lives and safety of millions of people are at stake, and these two clown are going back and forth in a battle of words.

"Fire and fury, the likes of which the world has never seen." Are you serious?!

If Hillary had said Trump’s speech verbatim, you and the media would be wetting yourselves at what a strong fearless woman she is.

Libs are so transparent!

Old 08-11-2017, 03:53 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,235,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Chinese paper says China should stay neutral if North Korea attacks first | Article [AMP] | Reuters

If North Korea launches an attack that threatens the United States then China should stay neutral, but if the United States attacks first and tries to overthrow North Korea's government China will stop them, a Chinese state-run newspaper said on Friday.

President Donald Trump ratcheted up his rhetoric toward North Korea and its leader on Thursday, warning Pyongyang against attacking Guam or U.S. allies after it disclosed plans to fire missiles over Japan to land near the U.S. Pacific territory.

China, North Korea's most important ally and trading partner, has reiterated calls for calm during the current crisis. It has expressed frustration with both Pyongyang's repeated nuclear and missile tests and with behavior from South Korea and the United States that it sees as escalating tensions.

The widely read state-run Global Times, published by the ruling Communist Party's official People's Daily, wrote in an editorial that Beijing is not able to persuade either Washington or Pyongyang to back down.

"It needs to make clear its stance to all sides and make them understand that when their actions jeopardize China's interests, China will respond with a firm hand," said the paper, which does not represent government policy.

"China should also make clear that if North Korea launches missiles that threaten U.S. soil first and the U.S. retaliates, China will stay neutral," it added.

"If the U.S. and South Korea carry out strikes and try to overthrow the North Korean regime and change the political pattern of the Korean Peninsula, China will prevent them from doing so."

Editorial, but it's a state-run paper, so..
Well, like fools we never consider the first strike for this reason. That's okay so long as you can defeat the strike and in return respond 3X fold or more immediately....you won't likely get a second chance so.....I can't believe we would strike first unless we spotted missiles fueling on the launch pad or lighting up...at that point, it's an eminent threat and a full retaliatory response is required....enter the Ohio Class Subs....

Old 08-11-2017, 04:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,513,617 times
Quote:
North Korea is a powder keg waiting to blow. China props it up because it fears millions of North Koreans fleeing a collapsing government. It also needs a regional ally as a buffer between it and South Korea.

South Korea wants to avoid conflict at seemingly any price. Japan cannot do anything due to its war guilt and tarnish from its occupation of Korea from 1910 to 1945.

Will China help NK if NK is attacked? Yes, they have to. Why?

Sino-North Korean Mutual Aid and Cooperation Friendship Treaty

So status quo would be the best for SKorea, Japan, and the US.

Think about it for a second.
Well, while I'm not American you've got me thinking about it; for more than a second too.

I appreciate any knowledge based on factual experience regardless of where it emanates from.

Question: Were Kim stupid enough to perform the first strike regardless if nuclear or just an artillery shelling into Seoul and South Korea/ U.S. responded in kind but with far more impact; do you see China getting involved in a shooting war if N.Korea started it but the S.Koreans and U.S. look to be winning and taking territory? I do. I think they'd fear an internal coup to depose stupid Kim by his upper echelon military who would in all likelihood put the freeze to China's influence over their future.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, while I'm not American you've got me thinking about it; for more than a second too.

I appreciate any knowledge based on factual experience regardless of where it emanates from.

Question: Were Kim stupid enough to perform the first strike regardless if nuclear or just an artillery shelling into Seoul and South Korea/ U.S. responded in kind but with far more impact; do you see China getting involved in a shooting war if N.Korea started it but the S.Koreans and U.S. look to be winning and taking territory? I do. I think they'd fear an internal coup to depose stupid Kim by his upper echelon military who would in all likelihood put the freeze to China's influence over their future.
I am going to give my honest opinion.

The bold depends on Kim's mental state. I would start to worry if Kim suffered from some kind of terminal illness. Kim doesn't have a son, only a daughter. You and I both know (I assume you know) he can care less about his fellow North Koreans. So if he suffered from terminal mental illness, he would do something radical and crazy.

I've been reading Chinese political blogs in the past several weeks. It looks like most Chinese understand the fact that China would have to defend N.K if N.K is attacked because of the peace treaty.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:22 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,604,163 times
China is fully responsible for North Korea being what it is. From the beginning of China's current government in 1948, they propped-up the illegitimate separation of Korea. They sent money, food and supplies and even soldiers to kill Americans. They have made this mini-monster and now, they should resolve and neutralize the problem, for their own best interests, if not for those of any other country.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:28 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,655,265 times
WW 3. Very little of us will win. Most of us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies