Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 02:31 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Most people spoutin off in these various thread are completely clueless about what they are saying.

Only inside people can speak with any authority, people here are just running their mouth off and are clueless about the larger geopolitical relevance.

Can't go around playing who's got the bigger penis in real life. Every move needs to be thought out 5 steps down the road.

There is no one easy answer.

The nuke'm crowd aren't really thinking through the larger picture and the let's play kowtow to Kim Jung aren't as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 02:31 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Oops, apologies! But I've noted your comments on many of the topics related to Asia. I think I associate lily with China!
I spent years in Japan and China. So if you have a question for me, just ask. I am happy to answer if I have the answer.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:34 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,807,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I spent years in Japan and China. So if you have a question for me, just ask. I am happy to answer if I have the answer.
Thank you - I have a feeling we'll all be seeking your expertise for a while. I heard today there have been some ongoing diplomatic negotiations between us and NK, so I am holding out hope for a peaceful resolution.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:36 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
My current boss is from South Korea and has been in the US since 2003, with one child born in Korea and another born here in the US. He definitely has an interesting perspective on the Korean peninsula, while he would love there to be one Korea one day, even though it would probably cost South Korea hundreds of billions to get the North out of their communist stone age, he believes that China actually likes it the way it is now and never wants the two Koreas to unify. So I'm not surprised that China wants to stay neutral, heck they secretly are probably supporting and rooting for North Korea!

Old 08-11-2017, 02:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Let me get this right. If North Korea bombs the US, the Chinese won't object if the US defends itself? How gracious of them! It's time to cut off the sweet trade deals with this criminal dictatorship.
as long as china is not threatened, then yes the US can defend itself. and yes that is gracious of china. remember that technically there still exists a state of war between NK and their allies, and the US and our allies, since only a cease fire agreement was signed, and not a peace treaty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
China is irrelevant.

If the USA decides that a strike is needed on NK, it will happen regardless of China.

If China decides to get involved, it becomes a target as well. This isn't the 1950s. China's military is a paper tiger. It is no match for the USA.
do not underestimate the chinese military. they have enough people to make any effort against NK tough. they also have a good air force, along with other good equipment.

and dont forget that the terrain of NK will cause problems for us as well. if china does get involved in another korean war, it will be just as nasty as it was in the early 50s.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:37 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Most people spoutin off in these various thread are completely clueless about what they are saying.

Only inside people can speak with any authority, people here are just running their mouth off and are clueless about the larger geopolitical relevance.

Can't go around playing who's got the bigger penis in real life. Every move needs to be thought out 5 steps down the road.

There is no one easy answer.

The nuke'm crowd aren't really thinking through the larger picture and the let's play kowtow to Kim Jung aren't as well.
I don't think we should either nuke or kowtow. I do think it's foolish for Trump to shoot off his mouth so much. This isn't a good time to bluff, if that's what he's doing, and it's not a good time to escalate things, either. Calm heads need to prevail. Hopefully, there is strategizing behind the scenes that we don't know about.

I hope that doesn't make me "clueless," but if it does, may I respectfully point out that you are posting here, too?

Old 08-11-2017, 02:39 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Thank you - I have a feeling we'll all be seeking your expertise for a while. I heard today there have been some ongoing diplomatic negotiations between us and NK, so I am holding out hope for a peaceful resolution.
Ha! Passive aggressive for no reasons. I thought you just wanted me to translate or something. sheesh!

Old 08-11-2017, 02:42 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Chinas military is weaker then ours....BUT..the length of the supply chain is a force multiplier. We can't prosecute a war against Korea without much larger then expected losses if they defend them.

Does North Korea firing missiles towards guam, that we then shoot down before seeing the EXACT target qualify as them attacking first for example?

Old 08-11-2017, 02:45 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't think we should either nuke or kowtow. I do think it's foolish for Trump to shoot off his mouth so much. This isn't a good time to bluff, if that's what he's doing, and it's not a good time to escalate things, either. Calm heads need to prevail. Hopefully, there is strategizing behind the scenes that we don't know about.

I hope that doesn't make me "clueless," but if it does, may I respectfully point out that you are posting here, too?
The minute someone admits that there is no one easy answer and all things need to be examined that takes you out of the "clueless" camp.

These guys playing who's got the bigger Johnson are the ones I'm talking about. There are tons and tons of logistical details and factors that need to be examined and frankly most people don't have extensive military strategy backgrounds or training and understanding of such things.

Of course people can speculate about things but blanket statements like we could snuff out NK without a problem is just plain ignorant.

Lots and lots of unintended consequences and various other factors all roll into these issues.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:47 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,551,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

do not underestimate the chinese military. they have enough people to make any effort against NK tough. they also have a good air force, along with other good equipment.
We probably shouldn't underestimate Chinese cyber-ops as well, even with Baron in our corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies