Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 01:25 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
The focus on US history is something that annoys me the most. There are people with college degrees and professional jobs that act as if white people are the biggest bad guys of history, and those are the ones you'd expect to actually know basic world history.

I mean honestly, the white westerners were the first to abolish slavery and are the societies people run to for a better life or to take advantage of the programs set up for them. Then they complain about how evil white people are...

It's either a complete disconnect from reality and ignorance of the big picture, or they know they can play on that generosity and open-mindedness to guilt free stuff out of them. Depends on the person I guess.
People with means, motivation and opportunity get that first hit of power and they become addicted.

It's been proven over and over again by peoples all across the globe since the beginning of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 01:37 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
People living in the 21st century are not responsible for slavery or victims of slavery.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:39 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I think you deliberately left out the white supremacist part in your inaccurate thread title.

So now, go ahead and refute the author's point, which I highlighted above.

Carry on.

a wee bit of selective copying and pasting by the OP counting on most of the crowd not to read but to automatically respond.

Typical.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:40 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
The focus on US history is something that annoys me the most. There are people with college degrees and professional jobs that act as if white people are the biggest bad guys of history, and those are the ones you'd expect to actually know basic world history.

I mean honestly, the white westerners were the first to abolish slavery and are the societies people run to for a better life or to take advantage of the programs set up for them. Then they complain about how evil white people are...

It's either a complete disconnect from reality and ignorance of the big picture, or they know they can play on that generosity and open-mindedness to guilt free stuff out of them. Depends on the person I guess.
Seems to be a complete lack of knowledge of basic world history, a total disconnect from reality, and ignorance of the big picture.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:40 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
"...Some white Americans like to dismiss slavery and past injustices against blacks as something of the distant past and therefore they should move on. Contrary to this, white supremacists don't seem like they want to move on from the Confederacy era. They also use the excuse that because slavery happened before they were born they are not responsible for the problems that blacks experience today.

The problem with whites denying responsibility for the sins of their fathers is if they use the same tools their ancestors used (hatred, superiority, racism, and racial discrimination) including the symbolism (historical statues and flags) to antagonize black people, then they are perpetuating the same evil their ancestors did. And because they do this they cannot absolve themselves from not been responsible."

www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/8/14/1689382/-The-Historic-City-of-Charlottesville-Erupts-in-Violence-Because-of-a-Historical-Relic

The "Dailykos"? That's a far left site. No whites today are responsible for what other whites did in the past. Of course there are "some" whites today who are racists, etc. but that's true of any race. If I were you I would stop stereotyping the entire white race and claiming that they are responsible for what dead people did simply by skin color/race. That's racism in itself. It's ridiculous and just causes division in this country.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:41 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Hilarious that so many people responded to a purposely edited article without reading it.

Now it explains why so many people have a distorted perspective on what is actually being written by all genres of media.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:52 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
"...Some white Americans like to dismiss slavery and past injustices against blacks as something of the distant past and therefore they should move on. Contrary to this, white supremacists don't seem like they want to move on from the Confederacy era. They also use the excuse that because slavery happened before they were born they are not responsible for the problems that blacks experience today.

The problem with whites denying responsibility for the sins of their fathers is if they use the same tools their ancestors used (hatred, superiority, racism, and racial discrimination) including the symbolism (historical statues and flags) to antagonize black people, then they are perpetuating the same evil their ancestors did. And because they do this they cannot absolve themselves from not been responsible."

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017...storical-Relic
Did it ever occur to people that believe this garbage that people are making money keeping them angry? When you carry a chip it gets real heavy (makes you miserable and angrier, a vicious circle) If you want better, stop expecting because you'll be disappointed. The only one that can change your situation is you.

By the way, I'm a woman. I'm sure you're aware that there was a time when women couldn't vote, work, get a mortgage, expected to stay barefoot and pregnant. If you had an SOB for a husband who beat "the little woman" to keep her in her place, the law did nothing. Still today, some men don't pull their weight at home even though their wives work FT. We could cary a chip too. Instead we became educated, work, learned never depend on anyone but yourself. Get my drift?

Old 08-14-2017, 01:56 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Did it ever occur to people that believe this garbage that people are making money keeping them angry? When you carry a chip it gets real heavy (makes you miserable and angrier, a vicious circle) If you want better, stop expecting because you'll be disappointed. The only one that can change your situation is you.

By the way, I'm a woman. I'm sure you're aware that there was a time when women couldn't vote, work, get a mortgage, expected to stay barefoot and pregnant. If you had an SOB for a husband who beat "the little woman" to keep her in her place, the law did nothing. Still today many men don't pull their weight at home even though their wives work full time. We could cary a chip too but instead we became educated, went to work, learned never depend on anyone but yourself and changed societal expectations. Get my drift?
Excellent points! And, in fact, Black men got the right to vote before White women did.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Excellent points! And, in fact, Black men got the right to vote before White women did.
Yep they did. Since there is no mention of things women tolerated I feel discriminated against and think women should demand reparations <sarcasm>.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:05 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I read the article and not just the snippet posted in the OP and its main point was not that whites are responsible for slavery.

It's main point was that racist symbols should be in museums and that their display in public parks and grounds antagonizes minority groups and causes divisions within our society same as they did in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies