Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:14 AM

23,970 posts, read 15,069,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
CHING!
What a dumb....
Thumbs up crone.
Yeah, 10000 grand covers a lot of animosity in my book. Not sure I would knowing move in next door to Jack the Ripper, but a mail man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 07:14 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Its much simpler than the article reasons. Here it is. As a citizen of the United States you INHERIT all assets and liabilities of this nation without regards to personal involvement in the creation of the asset or liabilities. For example, as citizens we enjoy many freedoms that are the results of peoples sacrifices of the past. Rarely, if ever, do you hear people arguing that they do not deserve these freedoms because they had nothing to do with it or because the sacrifices that gave birth to those freedoms happened 150 years ago. Yet, when it comes to the nations liabilities, like slavery and Jim Crow, and the cost and burden of reconciling the impact this legacy has on the present....then you get people, hypocritically, arguing how long ago it took place and how they personally had nothing to do with it.
I would argue that there are already reparations in the form of government assistance and college grants. There are programs to help black people get good education and jobs. It is up to people to take advantage of those things, not squander it away. Millions of black people do take advantage. I honestly don't know what else will work.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:16 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I would argue that there are already reparations in the form of government assistance and college grants. There are programs to help black people get good education and jobs. It is up to people to take advantage of those things, not squander it away. Millions of black people do take advantage. I honestly don't know what else will work.
Well....that is like me going to work for a month, working 8 hour days.....then getting a check for 50 dollars. I then argue that I need to be paid for my work and then you come and say.....".you were paid. You got 50 dollars".

Old 08-15-2017, 07:22 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
or they could be thankful to be citizens of this country which beats the hell out of being Africans.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:23 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The article says that white supremacists now have responsibility for the slavery hangover.

I don't see the term 'supremacists' anywhere in this paragraph

Quote:
The problem with whites denying responsibility for the sins of their fathers is if they use the same tools their ancestors used (hatred, superiority, racism, and racial discrimination) including the symbolism (historical statues and flags) to antagonize black people, then they are perpetuating the same evil their ancestors did. And because they do this they cannot absolve themselves from not been responsible.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:26 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Democrats still have responsibility, not whites.

It was Democrats fighting tooth and nails against other whites, particularly, white Republicans, to preserve the slavery. KKK and Jim Crow, all belonged to Democrats.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:26 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
or they could be thankful to be citizens of this country which beats the hell out of being Africans.
But whose tired and huddled masses yearned to be free? Europeans FLED from Europe seeking a better life in these lands. These lands were brought into fruition in the agrarian era off the blood, sweat and tears of enslaved Africans. Slavery financed the industrial revolution.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:27 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if we dont learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it. but we cannot live in the past either, if we are to move forward as a people, we have to leave the past behind us.

but lets examine the past here a bit shall we? too many people are just looking at what has happened in this country only, and they forget the world history on slavery. for instance, every race has been subjugated to slavery to every other race at some point in history. the jews for instance were slaves for 2500 years of their 5000 year history.

and how about the fact that african tribes bought and sold slaves long before the white man came to their shores? and how about those same african tribes sold their own people to the white man for slaves? and how about after the civil war in this country, the freed slaves were offered the chances to go back to africa, and when they did, they gathered together and started their own country called liberia, and with in ONE generation, they went back to the buying and selling of slaves.

come on people, slavery has been illegal in this country for more than 150 years now, its time to leave it in the past, and look towards the future.

all articles like that written in the daily kos does is promote hate and discontent in this country for no good reason.
They have a "good reason" - The Presumptive Queen didn't get her Crown.
Anyone who didn't vote for the Leftist was a Bitter Clinger, then they became the Irredeemables & Deplorables.
Now they are the White Supremacists.

They only real question is what will they call these Non-Leftist Voters next week?

Old 08-15-2017, 07:28 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,890 times
Quote:
Well....that is like me going to work for a month, working 8 hour days.....then getting a check for 50 dollars. I then argue that I need to be paid for my work and then you come and say.....".you were paid. You got 50 dollars".

No, it is not..........

Old 08-15-2017, 07:28 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Quote:
Its much simpler than the article reasons. Here it is. As a citizen of the United States you INHERIT all assets and liabilities of this nation without regards to personal involvement in the creation of the asset or liabilities. For example, as citizens we enjoy many freedoms that are the results of peoples sacrifices of the past. Rarely, if ever, do you hear people arguing that they do not deserve these freedoms because they had nothing to do with it or because the sacrifices that gave birth to those freedoms happened 150 years ago. Yet, when it comes to the nations liabilities, like slavery and Jim Crow, and the cost and burden of reconciling the impact this legacy has on the present....then you get people, hypocritically, arguing how long ago it took place and how they personally had nothing to do with it.

As citizens....YOU are responsible for all past debts created by the state/nation. The only way out of such responsibilities....and benefits....is to stop being a citizen of this nation.

Responsible how?

fiancial, if moral then fine we'll file the guilt away and get on.

Two world wars, torture, mass murder and we drive the cars of Japan and Germany. Appears someone has moved on in all countries involved.

Only ones that don't and still hold grudges that reach back in time before Christ, are the middle east countries and Africa.

If all americans have inherited the sins of the father that means EVERY CITIZEN is responsible. Black white spanish, whatever.

OP is a great argument for personal responsibility

Should be a question on citizenship questionaiire... you owe money to some people for what happened 150 years ago...still want to be a citizen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies