Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:29 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I would argue that there are already reparations in the form of government assistance and college grants. There are programs to help black people get good education and jobs. It is up to people to take advantage of those things, not squander it away. Millions of black people do take advantage. I honestly don't know what else will work.
The government provides small business grants for minorities who want to start their own business, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 07:37 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,053,602 times
This point is very delicate to handle, I saw that article from Vice about slavery. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ppzevg/hey-v12n5

Even the controversial website Snopes said then parts of it is partially true. 9 Facts About Slavery They Don't Want You to Know

Old 08-15-2017, 07:39 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
But whose tired and huddled masses yearned to be free? Europeans FLED from Europe seeking a better life in these lands. These lands were brought into fruition in the agrarian era off the blood, sweat and tears of enslaved Africans. Slavery financed the industrial revolution.
That is like saying farmers should give credit to their horses for planting and harvesting their crops and making the farmer rich.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:41 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
This point is very delicate to handle, I saw that article from Vice about slavery. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ppzevg/hey-v12n5

Even the controversial website Snopes said then parts of it is partially true. 9 Facts About Slavery They Don't Want You to Know
ah, back when vice was worth reading. i remember those days.
now they'd tar and feather jim goad if he showed up at the door.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:46 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Thank you!

A major reason to dump arguments like this one, and chest-thumping patriotism about Founding Fathers and the like into the same garbage pail, and get on with life together in the present.
What's wrong with admiring the brilliance of the Founding Fathers? I take no credit for their achievements, just like I cannot be held responsible for their faults. I just admire them, as many people do.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:48 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Responsible how?
Inheritance laws. When you inherit an estate or business...or NATION...you inherit the assets, liabilities and owners equity. I mean....you don't have to be responsible...ergo...no one is forcing you to be a citizen of this country.

Quote:
fiancial, if moral then fine we'll file the guilt away and get on.
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Quote:
Two world wars, torture, mass murder and we drive the cars of Japan and Germany. Appears someone has moved on in all countries involved.
You do know that the US helped to rebuild these countries....right? It seems like the US has got it backwards. It help rebuild the entities that attacked it, but not the entities that it has attacked.

Quote:
Only ones that don't and still hold grudges that reach back in time before Christ, are the middle east countries and Africa.
Not germane.

Quote:
If all americans have inherited the sins of the father that means EVERY CITIZEN is responsible. Black white spanish, whatever.
Uh......yep. That is how taxes are collected.

Quote:
OP is a great argument for personal responsibility
Deflection.

Quote:
Should be a question on citizenship questionaiire... you owe money to some people for what happened 150 years ago...still want to be a citizen?
Everyone should have to renew their citizenship then. It should only be renewed if one pledges responsibility to all liabilities in order to have full access to all assets of this nation.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I don't see the term 'supremacists' anywhere in this paragraph
I don't see that paragraph being the entire article.

Carry on.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:56 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Its much simpler than the article reasons. Here it is. As a citizen of the United States you INHERIT all assets and liabilities of this nation without regards to personal involvement in the creation of the asset or liabilities. For example, as citizens we enjoy many freedoms that are the results of peoples sacrifices of the past. Rarely, if ever, do you hear people arguing that they do not deserve these freedoms because they had nothing to do with it or because the sacrifices that gave birth to those freedoms happened 150 years ago. Yet, when it comes to the nations liabilities, like slavery and Jim Crow, and the cost and burden of reconciling the impact this legacy has on the present....then you get people, hypocritically, arguing how long ago it took place and how they personally had nothing to do with it.

As citizens....YOU are responsible for all past debts created by the state/nation. The only way out of such responsibilities....and benefits....is to stop being a citizen of this nation.
If you want to leave, feel free to go. Don't let us stop you. Because you will never get reparations, no matter what any democrat politician promises (lies) to you.

Even if you did get reparations, in huge amounts, it will change nothing. Until you grow up and give up your resentments and hatred. What amount of money could get you to suddenly love white people? It's sad to see people hung up on remaining a voluntary victim all of their lives.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:06 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Yeah, 10000 grand covers a lot of animosity in my book. Not sure I would knowing move in next door to Jack the Ripper, but a mail man?
Used to live in a neighborhood roughly half black. "I Survived it" The idiots going 45 MPH in our neighborhood using it as a cut through were the actually dangerous people.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:13 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
or they could be thankful to be citizens of this country which beats the hell out of being Africans.
Exactly, they don't think they benefited from it? They could still be running around with bare feet living in huts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies