Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:40 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I read the article and not just the snippet posted in the OP and its main point was not that whites are responsible for slavery.

It's main point was that racist symbols should be in museums and that their display in public parks and grounds antagonizes minority groups and causes divisions within our society same as they did in the past.
What if Martin Luther King's statues, road signs, monuments "antagonizes and causes divisions" with some groups? Would you advocate for removing them, too, residinghere? How about Mosques, or Temples, Satanic houses of worship, or Churches? How about the Constitution document in Washington? Or the Bill or Rights document? Should all symbols in our history that offend some people be removed? Who gets to decide what "antagonizes"?

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-14-2017 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Hilarious that so many people responded to a purposely edited article without reading it.

Now it explains why so many people have a distorted perspective on what is actually being written by all genres of media.
If that article didn't make the connection between white supremacists and all white people explicitly enough for you, read this one that I just saw near the top of my Google News feed:

Quote:
One of feminism's greatest contributions to society was convincing the American public that rapists are not ominous figures hiding in the bushes, but men we know—our friends, sons, teachers, and pastors. That shift in our mainstream understanding of sexual assault was necessary to end the social cover given to perpetrators of sexual violence. We needed to know that people do horrible things, even the people we love.

So as the country reels from the attack in Charlottesville, Virginia, let's not forget that lesson and claim that racists are anomalies or outliers. Despite well-meaning reactions and hashtags to the contrary, this is who the United States is. Of course this is us.
Goodthinkers know that all men are rapists and all white Americans are racists.

Charlottesville UVA White Nationalist Rally Proves America Is Racist

Last edited by The Dark Enlightenment; 08-14-2017 at 09:05 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 08:39 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
I love this statement that my husband told me. I don't know whether it is his original thought or not but it is priceless.

"Insanity is expecting someone who has never owned a slave to apologize to someone who has never been a slave."

Old 08-14-2017, 09:00 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
"I can not be held responsible for the actions of my ancestors any more than I can take credit for their achievements".

Paraphrase of a quote of Thomas Sowell

Old 08-14-2017, 09:05 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I love this statement that my husband told me. I don't know whether it is his original thought or not but it is priceless.

"Insanity is expecting someone who has never owned a slave to apologize to someone who has never been a slave."
Hey, knew it would happen sooner or later, we agree on something.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:13 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
My family actually picked their own Cotton. Recall stories from my Grandmother about cotton pickin out in the hot sun.

My family owes no one and we already pay more than our share of taxes.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:19 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
More anti-white racism from the left. Slavery hurt the labor value and prospects of over 90% of the white populace at the time and they were victimized by it.

If all whites are to blame for what some whites supposedly did at some time, then I guess by that logic everything one black person does can be blamed on all black people.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:16 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I don't disagree that some things shouldn't be displayed in public anymore and would support reasonable ways of addressing that. I also realize that those things can change with the wind, whenever someone get's a bug up their butt that "X" now stands as a reminder of "Y" and hurts "Z's" feelings. There needs to be a national consensus on what constitutes a thing so bad it needs to be removed, and even then it shouldn't happen often. It's always a balancing act when you try to use the current social justice ideas to filter and cleans the past.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:29 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
I'm waiting for the next thread in this series which will be that Christians still have responsibility for anti-Semitism.

It will be doozie compared to this lovefest.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:32 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm visiting Denmark next year. I'll let them know they're also responsible for the oppression of brown people across the ocean 150 years ago.
Awfully sensitive to have pulled that rabbit out of this hat, aren't you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies