Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 12:17 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Bring back corporal punishment.
Not necessary. What needs to be done is to have expectations spelled out from the get-go, before the kids are even in school. That is the job of the parents. Parents thoroughly vested in their children's future and education can make a teacher's job a breeze.

My nephews are scholar-athletes, competing in multiple varsity sports and both have school averages in the 90's. That doesn't come merely from natural ability, it also comes from having TWO parents actively focused and involved in both these kids' lives and making their expectations clear from early on.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
... any person under 18 who has more than two pregnancies should have welfare and SNAP benefits, if any, terminated, or, at their option, their tubes tied (in order to avoid deprivation of benefits) and parental rights over any born children either terminated or placed under tight supervision.
I am a firm believer that welfare and government assistance needs to be restricted to WIDOWS with children, same as it was when my mother, whose father died when she was 4, was raised on it in the 1940's and '50's. The county used to go into her high school and check her grades from time to time. If they ever dropped below a certain point, the county could have pulled her out of school and put her to work. My grandmother also wasn't allowed to own property.

And I am in no way religious, but I agree with the Fundies that childbearing belongs in a MARRIAGE, not a single-parent household unless one parent has died, like in my mother's case. Both parents need to be present, a united front, and on the same page as far as their expectations for their children.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You see it the other way around because you don't hold people accountable nearly enough. Since when is it the mothers fault concerning the actions of the father when it comes to sticking around and being in their childs life? I can think of few things that are more despicable than abandoning a child.

So they brought it on themselves? They should know that many inner city men are despicable human beings and there is a good chance those men are irresponsible.

What changed? What made those men not care? I wonder if its because they know the kids will get financial support from government so they leave? All the while forgetting that the kids need guidance.
Before allowing these men to impregnate them, maybe the mothers should have been sitting down and ASKING them if they wanted to be fathers before having unprotected sex with them. And also discussing what's going to happen should a pregnancy result even with protection. No, it's not a "sexy" conversation, but it is a necessary one. If the guy is an ass about it, that's when she walks away.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:27 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeys_00 View Post
Black. Of course.
So what if a Black kid did this? What is your point?

Old 01-20-2018, 06:08 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeys_00 View Post
Black. Of course.
What does this have to do with anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I am a firm believer that welfare and government assistance needs to be restricted to WIDOWS with children, same as it was when my mother, whose father died when she was 4, was raised on it in the 1940's and '50's. The county used to go into her high school and check her grades from time to time. If they ever dropped below a certain point, the county could have pulled her out of school and put her to work. My grandmother also wasn't allowed to own property.

And I am in no way religious, but I agree with the Fundies that childbearing belongs in a MARRIAGE, not a single-parent household unless one parent has died, like in my mother's case. Both parents need to be present, a united front, and on the same page as far as their expectations for their children.
I totally agree with this analysis. Sex, while fun, is not recreation without consequences. The government is giving out aid based on having children. I don't believe children have children to get welfare. But I do believe it makes having children much less of an emergency.

Also while I don't believe that the child's mother specifically raised her son(s) or in the case of one of the knifings daughter(s) to be violent, I believe the children witness violence as the way disputes are worked out.
Quote:
Before allowing these men to impregnate them, maybe the mothers should have been sitting down and ASKING them if they wanted to be fathers before having unprotected sex with them. And also discussing what's going to happen should a pregnancy result even with protection. No, it's not a "sexy" conversation, but it is a necessary one. If the guy is an ass about it, that's when she walks away.
Do you really think that kind of conversation occurs often in the ghetto between to 15 or 16 year olds who find an empty room for an hour or two?

Old 01-20-2018, 06:19 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't either, and I'm in my late 20s, so it wasn't THAT long ago...
Don't know whether you went to a good school or not, but I think it occurs more in schools that are in rougher communities. I'm also in my late 20s and remembered a student fighting a teacher, and he was expelled for it. This happened in the 6th grade back in the early 2000s.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Do you really think that kind of conversation occurs often in the ghetto between to 15 or 16 year olds who find an empty room for an hour or two?
It doesn't happen enough between ADULTS that are having sex without thinking good and hard about the possible consequences.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
It doesn't happen enough between ADULTS that are having sex without thinking good and hard about the possible consequences.
Adults in a stable marriage are better placed to deal with those consequences. Ghetto kids who have been raised by other violent ghetto kids are not.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:53 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Adults in a stable marriage are better placed to deal with those consequences. Ghetto kids who have been raised by other violent ghetto kids are not.
Pretty much. And this is the same for alot of kids I knew who grew up in the trailer park environments. Some came from broken families being raised by "adults" who weren't mature.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Pretty much. And this is the same for alot of kids I knew who grew up in the trailer park environments. Some came from broken families being raised by "adults" who weren't mature.
No kidding. Think the Turpins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies