Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 07:16 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Some try, to no avail. Others do nothing. Some people just cut their losses and get away from the ghetto. I know about Milwaukee because this is my father's hometown. Outside of that, I never grew up in the ghetto. I only know what I know from documentaries and reading books. And I only look this up because I basically have to debate (and in many cases try to disprove) people who only seek to complain about Black people. The subject of this thread isn't racist in itself. However, some people come here with the goal of venting their hatred. I speak of the ghetto in terms of "the ghetto". This is what goes on in rough, low-income areas. This is what happens when the parents don't do their jobs. This is what happens when people don't have work. Many people moved to Milwaukee for work. My grandparents did. Now Milwaukee has a high unemployment rate with alot of factories closing. And the schools, well, at this point, not much the schools can do because the schools have alot of kids who are violent, were raised to be violent, and often don't know what they'll do in their adult life. It does start at home. It also start with having work and/or having a mind to work.

Not much I can do because I don't live in the ghetto.
In the April 18, 1976 New York Times Magazine, before he degenerated into a rabble-rouser, Jesse Jackson wrote a beautiful four-page article entitled Give the People a Vision. Among other things he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Jackson
There is a definite welfare mentality in many black communities that derives perhaps from. slavery but that must now be overcome.

We are allowing a minuscule minority of criminals in our midst to create disorder, ruin our schools and sap
the energy we need to rebuild our neighborhoods and our cities. Many leaders who are black, and many white liberals, will object to my discussing these things in public. But the decadence in black communities--killings, destruction of our own businesses, violence in the schools--is already in the headlines....
If people like him understand the problem and have huge amounts of money raised through PUSH and other organizations, why can't the problems be addressed?

I will be happy to email you a PDF of the article, since I was unsuccessful in uploading it.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
You expel the student and make the parents pay the costs of an alternative education. If they can't pay, then you garnish their wages or welfare and take their yearly tax refund. I guarantee you the mental defectives parents will beat their kids into line if they realize that they'll end up paying for their misconduct.
In all likelihood, his parents probably beat him already. They're probably where he learned this type of behaviour.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of a teacher being punched and I attended a highly populated high school. It seems to occur quite often now a day's.
I don't either, and I'm in my late 20s, so it wasn't THAT long ago...

Old 01-13-2018, 08:42 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
In all likelihood, his parents probably beat him already. They're probably where he learned this type of behaviour.
And there are statistics to back this up. Alot of people in prison can recall getting beaten by their mothers.

Furthermore, you were responding to a post regarding wages and money. There are some kids in homes where no one is working.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
As a current teacher I can honestly say that this statement is pure junk. I teach at a high school where if you turn in a paper/take a test and get every answer wrong (not blank mind you, just wrong) you still get 50% of the grade. You are allowed to retake tests/quizzes after seeing what you did wrong the first time and the retake is the exact same test/quiz. You are allowed to turn in late work, as long as it gets to the teacher before the grading period ends.

Despite all of this being handed to them on a silver platter (I mean, anyone should be able earn that last 10% right?) I still fail 25 to 30 percent of my students and I am lucky to get 3 A's in a class of 36.
Sheesh. In my high school, deadlines were absolute, there were absolutely no retakes, no extra credit, random pop quizzes worth 30% of the grade (so staying home sick meant risking your grade entirely), and teachers bragged about never giving A's. Grades were always curved if the class did too well, so I remember getting a final grade of B- when I had a 92%.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:44 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sadly this is not actually something new.

No, it is not. About 30 years ago, when my sons were in HS, a huge kid punched my one son in the mouth in the lunch line for no reason. We took him to court, and he was ordered to pay restitution for the medical bills (we never got a dime)

A few years later, we were watching TV, and that same kid was featured on the news. He had shot a girl in the face and killed her. Punks and thugs have always been out there, they are just getting worse.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I don't either, and I'm in my late 20s, so it wasn't THAT long ago...
Neither do I, and I'm 31, going on 32. I got jumped a few times in school, but I never saw a student, Black or White, lay a hand on a teacher. It might have happened, but I never heard of it happening in my old high school. I've seen students curse out teachers (and get in trouble for it), but never assault a teacher.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
And there are statistics to back this up. Alot of people in prison can recall getting beaten by their mothers.

Furthermore, you were responding to a post regarding wages and money. There are some kids in homes where no one is working.
I also remember reading somewhere how almost all prisoners recall their parents saying they'd surely go to jail someday - from a very young age. Well, they've fulfilled their parents' expectations. As people tend to do.

I really think parenting classes would do some good for lower income prospective parents. Often, parents who hit their kids aren't intending to be abusive - they were just raised that way themselves and figured that it was just the logical way to correct their behaviour.

If they were shown studies that clearly suggest the opposite (and demonstrated the other long-term negative effects) and taught more positive and effective ways to influence their behaviour, that could cascade years down the road to a notable decrease in societal issues.

It's not THE solution, but it could only help. Unfortunately, I rarely see parenting classes suggested in discussions about issues like these.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I also remember reading somewhere how almost all prisoners recall their parents saying they'd surely go to jail someday - from a very young age. Well, they've fulfilled their parents' expectations. As people tend to do.

I really think parenting classes would do some good for lower income prospective parents. Often, parents who hit their kids aren't intending to be abusive - they were just raised that way themselves and figured that it was just the logical way to correct their behaviour.

If they were shown studies that clearly suggest the opposite (and demonstrated the other long-term negative effects) and taught more positive and effective ways to influence their behaviour, that could cascade years down the road to a notable decrease in societal issues.

It's not THE solution, but it could only help. Unfortunately, I rarely see parenting classes suggested in discussions about issues like these.
Yep. Basically, "parents" speaking ill towards their children, and it happens. Basically, alot of kids in the inner city go through child abuse.

I agree that many parents beat their kids because it is all they know how to do. We must also consider that some parents only view their children as a paycheck. One thing about these ghetto neighborhoods, there is a high rate of fatherless homes. It is mostly mothers beating their kids. Many of the mothers are immature when they give birth to children. Many have anger issues and take it out on their kids.

I agree that alot of violent kids are not growing up in positive environment. They likely have a violent parent "raising" them, they are likely used to solving disputes via violence.

I never thought of considering parenting classes. I think one reason it never comes up in these discussions is because there is a feeling of "some people shouldn't have kids".

Old 01-14-2018, 09:23 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
I agree that alot of violent kids are not growing up in positive environment. They likely have a violent parent "raising" them, they are likely used to solving disputes via violence.

I never thought of considering parenting classes. I think one reason it never comes up in these discussions is because there is a feeling of "some people shouldn't have kids".
That is an ingenious suggestion and I will rep this post. It is rare that I get an opportunity to rep you but I look for those. I think every person who is pregnant and under, say, 20, as well as, if possible, the impregnator should be required to take such classes. I haven't thought through what the penalties should be for those who fail to attend. Just a great idea.

On a separate note, I asked Management to reopen this thread. Please, no race baiting. While the topic is inevitably racially tinged. by no means is any but a minority of any group involved in violence against teachers, or for that matter violence of any kind. While certain communities have such a problem and it needs to be addressed, insults are not the way to address it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies