Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
There are five districts within the Chicago limits where the crime exists.

You don't have to be rich to live in a safe part of Chicago or young people who grew up in the suburbs wouldn't head there to live after getting out of college.

It's a beautiful city and people who visit say it's nothing like they expected and can't wait to return.

There's a big misconception about it. Don't believe everything you read, because it's based on falsehoods. People reading your post, for example, would think only the rich parts of the city were safe, which isn't correct.
I actually have a friend who lives there. He loves it. I simply don't want to live in any city, especially one where weekend violence is a norm. I visit him on occasion. We served together. Military friends tend to remain friends for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
More significantly, Jews are Jews. African-Americans lost their traditional religions and cultures. African-Americans come from over 45 different ethnicities/cultures. That means over 45 different ethnic groups lost virtually all ties. Just the fact that AAs are labeled as "blacks" is evidence of what was endured.

Asking the majority of people, particularly in the U.S., to understand is pointless because they only know to label people of African descent as "blacks." They are largely brainwashed to ignore the various cultures of Africans/African-descended groups while acknowledging the diversity of Asians and Hispanics (a minority of whom are of African origin). So they fail to realize how many different cultures, languages and religions were lost...basically beaten out of people.

That people actually try to compare that experience with Jews is beyond ignorant and completely uninformed.

This has got to be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read on c-d and that's saying something.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:42 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I actually have a friend who lives there. He loves it. I simply don't want to live in any city, especially one where weekend violence is a norm. I visit him on occasion. We served together. Military friends tend to remain friends for life.

Weekend violence isn't the norm.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:51 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
It seems like every major holiday, the headline is X amount of people shot in Chicago.
102 shot, 15 fatally, in Chicago over July 4 holiday weekend | abc7chicago.com

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017-chicago-murders
coincidence?
Look I get that it is only certain parts, I do. However, I have no desire to find out which parts or to become a statistic. I travel and travel a lot by American standards. I also avoid cities and or countries that have a problem with high crime.
If you don't mind the shootings then live there. The question begs. How long before the shootings begin to spill over into the normally crime free areas?

Old 08-27-2017, 09:54 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Disagree. There are murders every singe weekend, not simply say 10 every weekend.

NYC is down for about a decade to a rate of around 1 murder or slightly less daily. Chicago then, using per capita basis, should be down to about .3 per day, or 1 per weekend. Chicago is close to 2 day, 6x NYC's per capita rate.

I agree it happens in certain sections most, but Chicago experiences murders in almost every district (few exceptions). NYC does not at this point. NYC's safest neighborhoods go years between murders.

You can't have Chicago's gigantic murder rate w/o a spillover to all hoods. NYC had the same thing occur when 35 years ago, 6 a day were murdered in NYC.

Simply put, there is a giant swath of Chicago only criminals should wander freely in.

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/homicides

Old 08-27-2017, 10:29 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Is it an excuse to be responsible for more than 50% of the violent crimes in the nation while being 13% of it? The fact that some primitive African "culture", without even an alphabet, was taken from you? Really?
Hahaha! Really? You're not very educated on this subject, are you? A significant number of the slaves were, in fact, literate. Just because Europeans/White Americans couldn't understand doesn't invalidate that. Numerous Muslim Yoruba and other ethnicities were definitely literate and wrote in every place they were taken. In fact, in Brazil, they planned the largest slave revolt by writing in Arabic.

In the U.S., African slaves like Omar ibn Sayyid, Bilali Mohammad, Salih Bilali, Lamine Kebe and Ayuba Suleiman Diallo were writing in Arabic to each other and others. Don't you know that is why they would often beat slaves for writing?

Just like how many Europeans and their descendants perpetuated the idea that West Africa had no written history. Then families in Timbuktu uncovered their libraries with hundreds of thousands of books in Arabic, Songhai and other languages...writhen in Saharan, Susan and Suki script.

OK look, Arabic writing by an African slave...

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/storie...-early-america

Your conjured up stories about primitive Africans are old, inaccurate and pathetic...

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 08-27-2017 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 10:40 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
This has got to be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read on c-d and that's saying something.
That you would actually dispute that post is most ignorant. I'm so glad to be a recent American and not tied to warped thought. It's only ignorant to you because you're angry to know that African-Americans weren't simply what they were labeled in the U.S. Yes, they came from over 45 different ethnicities/cultures, which were beaten out of them and they were labeled by the one way by which they could identify all slaves - color. That's why the masses of Africans were labeled "back."

Yes, prevailing U.S. culture does not acknowledge African-originated diversity but does so for Asians and Hispanics. Ever fill out a census?

You only call it ignorant because you're angry that it is accurate.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:17 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,890 times
Quote:
Hahaha! Really? You're not very educated on this subject, are you? A significant number of the slaves were, in fact, literate. Just because Europeans/White Americans couldn't understand doesn't invalidate that. Numerous Muslim Yoruba and other ethnicities were definitely literate and wrote in every place they were taken. In fact, in Brazil, they planned the largest slave revolt by writing in Arabic.

In the U.S., African slaves like Omar ibn Sayyid, Bilali Mohammad, Salih Bilali, Lamine Kebe and Ayuba Suleiman Diallo were writing in Arabic to each other and others. Don't you know that is why they would often beat slaves for writing?

Just like how many Europeans and their descendants perpetuated the idea that West Africa had no written history. Then families in Timbuktu uncovered their libraries with hundreds of thousands of books in Arabic, Songhai and other languages...writhen in Saharan, Susan and Suki script.

OK look, Arabic writing by an African slave...

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/storie...-early-america

Your conjured up stories about primitive Africans are old, inaccurate and pathetic...
Yes. Almost 700,000 books were published in Timbuktu before it's collapse. So it's stupid to say Africans had no writing or didn't value information. Not only are they racist, they're stupid. But it makes sense.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:23 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,890 times
Quote:
Exactly. All they have to do is tell their base feel black people are getting something that they are not. Far from the truth but it gets them riled up very easily.
Thank you. It explains much of the polarization.

Quote:
It's not ignorant. You don't like it because it's the truth.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
I hadn't considered the psychological aspect. I know better, too. I'm from the South and we learned in that same Sociology class that a lot of poor blacks in the South live with a condition called 'Learned Helplessness' that has been passed down to them over the generations from when their ancestors were slaves.

The issues must be related.
To be fair: it ain't just a "Black" thing; many PWT level of anglo whites ain't any better cause their kind like to blame "Yankees" and so on. The problem is the Civil War ended 150 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies