Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 04:56 PM

73,033 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The person making the decision is helped. When I moved 1,000 miles away in 1997 I viewed crime stats by neighborhood, avoided some awful hoods that way.

We all live in society, but just small subsets of it. We are in control of the crime sets of our neighborhood. We make them safe, more wish to move in, housing values rise.
Actually, I am only in control of me. You are only in control of you. For that reason, that is why I worry when I run into people who use crime statistics to justify hating Blacks. I can't control every Black person in America. Neither can Blacks fleeing from hood rat behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 05:09 PM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I am only in control of me. You are only in control of you. For that reason, that is why I worry when I run into people who use crime statistics to justify hating Blacks. I can't control every Black person in America. Neither can Blacks fleeing from hood rat behavior.
Communities control themselves al the time, in aggregate.

Thousands of safe ones. Pick one.

Communities are not black or white, they are regions, mapped by streets. Streets are color blind.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
So any other "statistics"...preferably with a link this time, that proves the white community is more violent than the black poor community other than a post claiming Chicago was the most violent city in the world 107 years ago despite it being mostly white?

Old 08-26-2017, 05:35 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Injecting values? Which values? German/Brit (anglo-saxon) values? As you know, these entailed having vast numbers of people as slaves (virtual or otherwise) upon whose shoulders those anglos sat.

American values? These were land grants, the gold rush, the oil boom and the vast resources which were given away or sold cheap...or, which required money from Wall Street and London to develop (those two places, for example, deforested WV and bought the mineral rights, etc.)....

Don't you think if the full employment (high wages, good benefits, etc.) of the war years had gone onward for the black community...that their values would have automatically been raised? I think it actually did happen - you will find the MANY of the black college grads of the last 40-50 years were the result of families that fronted them at least some money and values...which they then took advantage of.

The bigger problem today - among whites (opiates, suicide, drinking) and blacks is that of hopelessness, which is born out of lack of education and opportunity. IMHO, anyway.

I was born on 3rd base and probably made it to home plate. It wasn't that hard - even though I refused many (most?) of the advantages my parents wanted to provide to me (college, etc.)....

But without a "stake" one has nothing. Nothing.
Sorry, not buying all this whining, not from whites and not from blacks. There is nothing that blocks them from sitting online or in the library and learning math or basic coding.
I'm coming from maybe the most persecuted and oppressed minority in the world, and still we were able to be successful. In USSR, Jews were persecuted heavily, were not allowed to some universities, and needed to be way WAY better than the Russians to land on a good position. And still they made it. People came to USA with 2000 bucks in their pocket, without any connections, and after few years they were ok. And why? Because they made the opportunities for themselves.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:42 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Anyone else notice there are rarely threads started about pervasive problems in other "minority" neighborhoods. I mean, c'mon, no discussion about predominantly Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Russian, Jewish, or Asian communities? There is no perfect community, but it is obvious those other minority communities find a way to behave themselves. If they didn't, they would surely be a daily topic on CD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Oh please. Anytime there is a post about white people you guys spin it back on BLM or bring up Obama or Al Sharpton

The obsession with Black folk on here is amazing. It's pretty much a social experiment on racism. Every day this place has the same people bashing Black folk over and over again. No Matter how many post you make about us we are gaining on you and it's scaring the crap out of you guys.

So please, keep spreading these false allegations while the majority of Black folk go to work and keep getting larger slices of this American pie.
Wow, ease up tiger.... My post was not about blacks. It was asking why there are very few discussions about problems in OTHER minority communities on CD. The only one making a big deal about black obsession is you. Insecure much?

I wish the black community the best. It is not about "gaining" on anybody. It is about their own success in this country. We just had a black POTUS and black AG for eight years and you guys still wine about everything under the sun. When will you realize that the black community, and ONLY the black community, create their own successes and failures? Every other minority group is "gaining" on the black community. Pretty soon, white people will be the least of the worries of the black community.

What "false allegations" about the black community are white people spreading? Statistical facts don't lie, but the truth behind them likely hurts. But that can change with an effort from within.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:47 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Sorry, not buying all this whining, not from whites and not from blacks. There is nothing that blocks them from sitting online or in the library and learning math or basic coding.
I'm coming from maybe the most persecuted and oppressed minority in the world, and still we were able to be successful. In USSR, Jews were persecuted heavily, were not allowed to some universities, and needed to be way WAY better than the Russians to land on a good position. And still they made it. People came to USA with 2000 bucks in their pocket, without any connections, and after few years they were ok. And why? Because they made the opportunities for themselves.
That's the answer. You answered your own question. You are Jewish. You probably can locate the place your recent ancestors came from, the cities and towns, the villages, you probably know them by name, if they were Holocaust survivors, you know the camps they were in.

For other groups it's not so easy.

Jews were not told their culture is inferior, their Hebrew or Yiddish language is inferior, their culture somehow represents backwardness. They did not have their original names changed. Jews and other groups were welcomed into this country, while other groups even in the US much longer than them were denied basic opportunities.

It's not about who "made it," who struggled. It's about hierarchy. That is why we continue to have these conversations.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:18 PM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
FBI crime statistics must all be lies then I suppose.

Lie big and lie often sooner or later people will believe you.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:19 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
That's the answer. You answered your own question. You are Jewish. You probably can locate the place your recent ancestors came from, the cities and towns, the villages, you probably know them by name, if they were Holocaust survivors, you know the camps they were in.
I can locate them until the 19 century. I gues you too.

Quote:
Jews were not told their culture is inferior, their Hebrew or Yiddish language is inferior, their culture somehow represents backwardness. They did not have their original names changed. Jews and other groups were welcomed into this country, while other groups even in the US much longer than them were denied basic opportunities.
I'm not talking about USA. Jews in the USA (except of some episodes of discrimination in universities and housing) were given a fair chance. That why they came to here by millions.
I'm talking about Europe. In some countries they could not go to the university or to get a decent job unless they were become Christians. And yes, they were told that they are second best and that their culture is inferior and that they are the filth of the earth. And still they were able to succeed.
Quote:
It's not about who "made it," who struggled. It's about hierarchy. That is why we continue to have these conversations.
For me the hierarchy is about merit. I will prefer always an educated and law abiding AA over a criminal Jew.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:29 PM

73,033 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Communities control themselves al the time, in aggregate.

Thousands of safe ones. Pick one.

Communities are not black or white, they are regions, mapped by streets. Streets are color blind.
Well, I cannot control communities. People are responsible for themselves. I can only take care of me. I was talking about individuals. I can only go where it's best for me.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:32 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:

For other groups it's not so easy.

More significantly, Jews are Jews. African-Americans lost their traditional religions and cultures. African-Americans come from over 45 different ethnicities/cultures. That means over 45 different ethnic groups lost virtually all ties. Just the fact that AAs are labeled as "blacks" is evidence of what was endured.

Asking the majority of people, particularly in the U.S., to understand is pointless because they only know to label people of African descent as "blacks." They are largely brainwashed to ignore the various cultures of Africans/African-descended groups while acknowledging the diversity of Asians and Hispanics (a minority of whom are of African origin). So they fail to realize how many different cultures, languages and religions were lost...basically beaten out of people.

That people actually try to compare that experience with Jews is beyond ignorant and completely uninformed.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 08-26-2017 at 08:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies