Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 12:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It seems like every major holiday, the headline is X amount of people shot in Chicago.
102 shot, 15 fatally, in Chicago over July 4 holiday weekend | abc7chicago.com

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017-chicago-murders
coincidence?
Look I get that it is only certain parts, I do. However, I have no desire to find out which parts or to become a statistic. I travel and travel a lot by American standards. I also avoid cities and or countries that have a problem with high crime.
If you don't mind the shootings then live there. The question begs. How long before the shootings begin to spill over into the normally crime free areas?
So major holiday shootings = weekend violence is the norm. Got it.

The shootings have been contained to certain areas since I was a kid.

It's probably best you not visit Chicago. Maneuvering large cities require a modicum of common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Disagree. There are murders every singe weekend, not simply say 10 every weekend.

NYC is down for about a decade to a rate of around 1 murder or slightly less daily. Chicago then, using per capita basis, should be down to about .3 per day, or 1 per weekend. Chicago is close to 2 day, 6x NYC's per capita rate.

I agree it happens in certain sections most, but Chicago experiences murders in almost every district (few exceptions). NYC does not at this point. NYC's safest neighborhoods go years between murders.

You can't have Chicago's gigantic murder rate w/o a spillover to all hoods. NYC had the same thing occur when 35 years ago, 6 a day were murdered in NYC.

Simply put, there is a giant swath of Chicago only criminals should wander freely in.

Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com

There are shootings every day, but that's not the point. The point is a poster is disparaging an entire city based on five districts. FIVE.

And again, crime in those areas existed even when I was young and so far they're not spilling over into other neighborhoods. Why? Because gangs don't go wandering through other neighborhoods.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:58 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
I am a part of the Black community and don't live in fear of my life. My chosen neighborhood and lifestyle is far from violent and no I don't live in an all White community.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:45 PM

423 posts, read 186,436 times
One of my friends from Croatia had a summer job as a university student in a popular US beach town, working as a lifeguard. It was also his job to manage the benches on the shoreline that were offered for rental. There were labels on every bench with the daily rental rates written on them. He told me that he had a hard time because black people frequently tore off these labels and occupied the benches. Each time he questioned them, they claimed that there were no label on their benches. In the whole summer, each week went down like that. He said that there was never such a problem with other groups, only blacks. This was a simple young Croatian guy who tried to do his summer job and this was his honest experience.

What could be the explanation that a foreign student guy had such experiences?

Old 08-27-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post

It's not ignorant. You don't like it because it's the truth.

I don't like it because in an attempt to debate someone who compared the struggle of African Americans with the struggle of Jews - the poster did the same in a far more disrespectful manner - and proved ignorance about the Jewish struggle in the process.

It's possible to state the two cannot be compared without being ignorant and disparaging. That's what I took issue with.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:18 PM

34,019 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
There are shootings every day, but that's not the point. The point is a poster is disparaging an entire city based on five districts. FIVE.

And again, crime in those areas existed even when I was young and so far they're not spilling over into other neighborhoods. Why? Because gangs don't go wandering through other neighborhoods.
>5

I posted the map of the districts. Roughly 6 dark blue worst areas, but about a dozen just one shade lighter (2nd worst shade). All but 2 districts had murders in the last year, and Big Picture Chicago murder rate 6x per capita NYC. 2 murders a day in a city whose population is just about the same as Brooklyn.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I am a part of the Black community and don't live in fear of my life. My chosen neighborhood and lifestyle is far from violent and no I don't live in an all White community.
If your location of downtown St. Louis is correct you currently live in a neighborhood that has a crime rate just over 5X the national average.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:27 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,877,477 times
Quote:
So major holiday shootings = weekend violence is the norm. Got it.

The shootings have been contained to certain areas since I was a kid.

It's probably best you not visit Chicago. Maneuvering large cities require a modicum of common sense.
Paaalease. I travel a lot. It isn't my fault Chicago has been tagged with a reputation for senseless shootings and gang violence. You get what you accept and Chicago absolutely accepts that parts of it are as dangerous as war zones.
Ok for the sake of argument. Only holiday shootings are the norm. LOL as if that makes it all good, right?
Why doesn't NYC have the same problem? They once did, then they decided that enough was enough.
By the way I do like Chicago style deep dish pizza.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:29 PM

34,019 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Paaalease. I travel a lot. It isn't my fault Chicago has been tagged with a reputation for senseless shootings and gang violence. You get what you accept and Chicago absolutely accepts that parts of it are as dangerous as war zones.
Ok for the sake of argument. Only holiday shootings are the norm. LOL as if that makes it all good, right?
Why doesn't NYC have the same problem? They once did, then they decided that enough was enough.
By the way I do like Chicago style deep dish pizza.
I also like Wrigley, but only for a day game.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:35 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Quote:
I don't like it because in an attempt to debate someone who compared the struggle of African Americans with the struggle of Jews - the poster did the same in a far more disrespectful manner - and proved ignorance about the Jewish struggle in the process.

It's possible to state the two cannot be compared without being ignorant and disparaging. That's what I took issue with.
Utter nonsense.

My posts made ZERO statements about Jews and only clarifled the African-American experience and you're mad. No disparaging statements were made about Jews.

But it was fine when Mash123 was comparing African-Americans and Jews and not being accurate about the experiences.of the former.

What you want is for ignorant and disparaging statements about African-Americans. You took issue with the truth being told about African-Americans. You took issue with hearing that 45 different ethnicities were brought to the Americas and in the U.S., any discernable cultures, languages, religions etc were beaten and stripped from them. You took issue with the truth.

Your post is completely disengenuous. Not fooling me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies