Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 08:40 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
We are all animal abusers without any exception.

We lock animals in our homes; we cut off their tails, ears, genitals; we selectively breed; we conduct experiments on them.

Nobody is better or worse than a puppy mill in this regard. There is no moral high ground here.
Wrong. Have a nice day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 08:48 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I'M sure that there will be a black market but it will put a dent in the deplorable puppy mills. Pet store purchases are enabling these mills and everyone things they need a pedigree. There are many dogs that never make it to the store and spend years in cages and treated terribly. Many small breeders will continue but they should be easy to find unless it's word of mouth.
I'm not sure why you think there would be a black market. Purebred dogs are still readily available from backyard breeders where most people already get their purebred dogs. About the only people left that were buying from pet stores were the people not informed where the puppies came from or people who just didn't care. There's no need for a black market. In fact, backyard breeders don't usually charge nearly as much as the pet stores did.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why is that? Because pet stores wont pay enough?
No it's because responsible breeders care where their puppies end up. They often go the extra mile to make sure the pups go to a good home with responsible owners who have a track record of taking care of their dogs.
Responsible breeders to not breed enough puppies to even come close to supplying pets stores with them, not that they would ever consider selling to a pet store.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:52 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Because they can't screen the buyers. They generally offer lifetime take-back and other guarantees with the sale of their pups.
I had a lady come out to my house. Not a breeder just took in a ton of dogs. The front fence, about 10-12 feet long on each side of the house was 4 feet tall. Everywhere else it was 7-8 feet tall. She said people in my neighborhood like to steal dogs and the fence was too short in front. lol
A few days later, I went to the city hound pound and got my dog there.

Quote:
They don't want them going to people like a relative of mine, who adores animals, but neglects them terribly.
But they sell mix breds to those same people. So okay for mix breeds to be at risk. Just another example of the man keeping the people down.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Because they can't screen the buyers. They generally offer lifetime take-back and other guarantees with the sale of their pups. They don't want them going to people like a relative of mine, who adores animals, but neglects them terribly.
How is it possible that people still don't know where pet store puppies come from? How can we educate people if they don't pay attention?

I knew 20 years ago not to buy from a pet store for these very reasons. PLUS, they usually charge a lot more than even a great breeder will charge.

Yet, I have a good friend that STILL buys dogs from pet stores. She's smart - but still doesn't get it.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Pet stores need to change their business models. They should work only in conjunction with responsible breeders. They charge breeder prices for these poor puppy mill victims as it is.

As far as only allowing rescue dogs? Noble in principle, but a bad idea in real life. May lead to unconscionable
theft of other people's pets by " rescue " groups looking to make a profit by acquiring expensive breeds. Also, it depends where you live, but the shelter here is generally full of adult pit bulls and chihuahuas. There's a huge liability selling an adult pit with no knowledge of its breeding, temperament, and history.

I can see the law of unintended consequences all over this well-meaning piece of legislation. It has black market written all over it.

Better off educating puppy buyers, imho. When the buyers vote with their wallets, responsibly bred dogs will be showing up for sale as pet stores begin changing their business practices.
You're incorrect in so many aspects here. There's no black market because pure bred dogs are still readily available, and responsible breeders would never, ever, ever sell their puppies for resale to a pet store. It doesn't happen by definition.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
How is it possible that people still don't know where pet store puppies come from? How can we educate people if they don't pay attention?

I knew 20 years ago not to buy from a pet store for these very reasons. PLUS, they usually charge a lot more than even a great breeder will charge.

Yet, I have a good friend that STILL buys dogs from pet stores. She's smart - but still doesn't get it.
People like your friend just don't care. They're not stupid nor misinformed. As long as they get what they want the easiest way possible, it's all good to them. She never personally saw the parents of the puppy she bought living in a little cage all their lives with matted hair and dog feces and urine all over them from the cage of another dog directly above.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:07 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No it's because responsible breeders care where their puppies end up. They often go the extra mile to make sure the pups go to a good home with responsible owners who have a track record of taking care of their dogs.
Responsible breeders to not breed enough puppies to even come close to supplying pets stores with them, not that they would ever consider selling to a pet store.
Doing things like this also drives up the price and shrinks the available customer base. They're in it for the money and the prestige. "Hey look at me I raise pure bred dogs aren't I special." Probably have a wine cellar and a pear tree.

If they were responsible people who truely cared about dogs they wouldn't be breeding them. We have too many homeless dogs as it is.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:09 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Doing things like this also drives up the price and shrinks the available customer base. They're in it for the money and the prestige. "Hey look at me I raise pure bred dogs aren't I special." Probably have a wine cellar and a pear tree.

If they were responsible people who truely cared about dogs they wouldn't be breeding them. We have too many homeless dogs as it is.
I guarantee you a dog at a pet store costs 3 x what a good breeder would charge.

So - there goes that argument.

Why do you support puppy millers?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:

I agree with some of that. "Responsible" breeders are most often than not, those that show their dogs in the show ring. That in itself is another story that may surprise people to the negative side of it. There are good responsible breeders and not so good ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies