Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Even being in the position to BE mugged? Why would you make that CHOICE for yourself?
How would you avoid that? Walk around with hired mercenaries? Stay at home 24/7/365?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 11:56 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Then they are never off-leash. Maybe this makes them too dependent. It's nice when a dog can have his own outdoor space sometimes and just be let out rather than walked on a leash. They shouldn't be out all day, that is mean.
The dogs I took care of were always off leash in the back yard. Keep in mind that this was pre-smart phone era so there was no excuse to not keeping your attention on the dog and what he was doing. I also would take them in the early morning to a huge fenced-in field in back of the high school (which was practically across the street from my house) and let them off-leash to run. Actually it was more walking the perimeter and doing their business than taking advantage of being off-leash. Sometimes we'd be out for 2 hours on a weekend morning, because after we did the field we'd hit the street and walk at least a half dozen blocks or more.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:03 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But when you harm and abuse your animals, it's OK?

You don't need to agree what I do to my property because it's none of your business. It goes the other way too.
I don't harm or abuse my animals; they all get the best of food and care. I got them all at the local shelter, where they would have been eventually have been killed had I or someone else not adopted them. In order to adopt them, I had to follow certain stipulations and regulations associated with that process, so I am legally OK as well. If you lived in my county and harmed or abused your animals, you would have charges leveled against you. It might not be MY business, but it certainly would be the county's.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Yes, it's discriminatory. Unfortunately, the rescue has no way of knowing what your background is with dogs and how responsible you have been. They won't take that chance, for the benefit of the dog. Too many bad things can happen.
They'd rather you be unhappy with them than have the dog run away and get lost, be tied up outside or be attacked.
Thankfully when I adopted my cat 3 years ago, fron one of the OLDEST, MOST REPUTABLE SHELTERS in the country, Mohawk-Hudson Humane Society, founded in 1887, I was not judged on the fact that I had no prior experience as a cat owner, or that I rent instead of own, or that I wasn't debt-free at that point, or by any other of the stupid criteria that rescues use to hoard animals instead of adopting them out. If MHHS were ever to check up on her (they don't do that sort of thing) they would find she is spoiled rotten and living the Life of Riley.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:22 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Thankfully when I adopted my cat 3 years ago, fron one of the OLDEST, MOST REPUTABLE SHELTERS in the country, Mohawk-Hudson Humane Society, founded in 1887, I was not judged on the fact that I had no prior experience as a cat owner, or that I rent instead of own, or that I wasn't debt-free at that point, or by any other of the stupid criteria that rescues use to hoard animals instead of adopting them out. If MHHS were ever to check up on her (they don't do that sort of thing) they would find she is spoiled rotten and living the Life of Riley.
You sound like a wonderful pet owner and I really mean that. All I can tell you is that the rescue has no way of knowing who you are and what your experience is other than what you tell them. People will lie through their teeth. Their priority is the happiness and well being of the dogs they place. The dogs are their responsibility and they put a lot of time, effort and money into the adoption of their dogs. In order to find them the best homes, yes they do have to judge you and the information you provide them. It's not something personal. Their clients in reality are the dogs, not the people who want to adopt them.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:25 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I fully understand the non-bold part - no argument there.

Animals are money making machines, which is why cattle ranches take care of their cows, horses, chickens, particularly their priced studs. Letting them sit in feces would spread disease and kill more animals; letting them breed too often, the animals die too.

The motivation to look after their animals is huge.

I don't understand how it is different in breeding dogs.
I didn't realize what "puppy mills" in the US exactly were, but by now I think I've got it and I think it's nuts.
Where I stand, big part of a quality of a purebred dog is its character - that is how it interacts with its owner, and in case of service/hunting dogs is how well they perform their duties/how obedient they are. Which can't be determined, unless they live side by side with their humans and constantly interact with them. Those qualities are inherited, so when purebred dogs are mated, the perspective owners of the new puppies should be usually aware of the possible flaws/advantages of their new pet. But that is when the strife for QUALITY dogs, not the PROFIT is behind the whole process.
From what I gather in this case, the idea of "puppy mills" works in reverse of raising quality purebreds.
If dogs are treated no different than cattle, the next logical step is to eat them as they do it in China, not to regard them as quality companion/service dog.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I didn't realize what "puppy mills" in the US exactly were, but by now I think I've got it and I think it's nuts.
Where I stand, big part of a quality of a purebred dog is its character - that is how it interacts with its owner, and in case of service/hunting dogs is how well they perform their duties/how obedient they are. Which can't be determined, unless they live side by side with their humans and constantly interact with them. Those qualities are inherited, so when purebred dogs are mated, the perspective owners of the new puppies should be usually aware of the possible flaws/advantages of their new pet. But that is when the strife for QUALITY dogs, not the PROFIT is behind the whole process.
From what I gather in this case, the idea of "puppy mills" works in reverse of raising quality purebreds.
If dogs are treated no different than cattle, the next logical step is to eat them as they do it in China, not to regard them as quality companion/service dog.
Yes, I do think you got it

Old 09-17-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You sound like a wonderful pet owner and I really mean that. All I can tell you is that the rescue has no way of knowing who you are and what your experience is other than what you tell them. People will lie through their teeth. Their priority is the happiness and well being of the dogs they place. The dogs are their responsibility and they put a lot of time, effort and money into the adoption of their dogs. In order to find them the best homes, yes they do have to judge you and the information you provide them. It's not something personal. Their clients in reality are the dogs, not the people who want to adopt them.
Than they should just admit that they think they are better, more pefect pet owners than anyone else could possibly be, and simply keep the dogs for the rest of their lives, rather than find homes for them.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Than they should just admit that they think they are better, more pefect pet owners than anyone else could possibly be, and simply keep dogs for the rest of their lives.
They aren't perfect but they do have a great track record in placing nearly all of their dogs in good homes. The dogs they can't adopt out because of medical issues, age, or other reasons are kept in foster homes for the rest of their lives. They are never euthanized, given to the pound or given away to homes that don't meet their criteria. They're actually very good at what they do.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:50 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
My "slaves":

Look at how they toil. The oppression is bleeding through the images.

Also, to point out how pets with black fur look fantastic, especially out in the sun where their fur can shine. Photographers don't like them because they say they can't get all the features. I say, then you're not a good photographer.

Some people don't like pets with black fur because of superstitions. I think if someone actually believes that an animal with black fur is something evil, they shouldn't have any pet at all.

By the way, these brother and sister dogs were rescued (by me) when someone in Miami threw them out like trash. Like is being suggested that people do. They were 3 months old. Their sibling got hit by a car and killed. They would never have made it "out in the wild".

And also, spaying and neutering is beneficial for the pet, health wise: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/gener...euter-your-pet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies