Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 08:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times

Advertisements

It's a good idea and you can still buy from breeders if you want a certain breed of dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 08:17 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I guarantee you a dog at a pet store costs 3 x what a good breeder would charge.

So - there goes that argument.
lol Your posts are such a laugh. Because you say so. You're wrong way to often. To even think that is laughable. Of course a pet store is cheaper.
Here's your silly thought process on this. The breeder has healthier dogs, less chance of a mix bred, return guarantee, and you know the lineage. They take extra care placing the dog. Yet you say they cost less than what one gets at a pet store.
That's what people do right? Go for a lower quality dog and pay a higher price.

Let’s do the math. A $900 dog from a puppy mill costs 21 cents a day over the puppy’s 12-year life span. A $2,000 dog from a quality breeder costs 45 cents a day. The difference is less than a quarter a day. And what does that 24 cents buy for your dog? A small handful of supermarket kibble.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/allenst.../#41d661ac5e2d

If you decide on pet store purchase, the cost will be lower.
https://www.creditloan.com/blog/how-...in-a-lifetime/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Why do you support puppy millers?
lol you make such silly statements. The puppy mills arent the only other way to get a snob dog. Keep trying though.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:27 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol Your posts are such a laugh. Because you say so. You're wrong way to often. To even think that is laughable. Of course a pet store is cheaper.
Here's your silly thought process on this. The breeder has healthier dogs, less chance of a mix bred, return guarantee, and you know the lineage. They take extra care placing the dog. Yet you say they cost less than what one gets at a pet store.
That's what people do right? Go for a lower quality dog and pay a higher price.

Let’s do the math. A $900 dog from a puppy mill costs 21 cents a day over the puppy’s 12-year life span. A $2,000 dog from a quality breeder costs 45 cents a day. The difference is less than a quarter a day. And what does that 24 cents buy for your dog? A small handful of supermarket kibble.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/allenst.../#41d661ac5e2d

If you decide on pet store purchase, the cost will be lower.
https://www.creditloan.com/blog/how-...in-a-lifetime/

lol you make such silly statements. The puppy mills arent the only other way to get a snob dog. Keep trying though.
People make the mistake of only looking at the upfront cost without realizing that often buying a puppy from a pet store results in increased veterinary bills long term due to poor breeding.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:28 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I didn't want a stupid mutt, I specifically wanted a French Bulldog and a Pug. If that makes me a animal abuser to you, then so be it.
If you are so set on a specific breed that you are willing to see dogs abused in order to keep the supply "affordable," then you are part of the problem, yes.

Quote:
My pug didn't cost $5,500, my Frenchie did. Reading comprehension is important. My pug was $800.

And I wouldn't even own a dog if I couldn't own the breed I want. So fine, I guess I'm a bad person because I don't value some lab/shepherd mutt or whatever.....
You probably paid too much. Don't forget that not only does the cost of a pet store dog cover the price the store paid to the breeder, it also includes a markup that is usually around 100%. So, not only did you unwittingly support an unscrupulous breeder, you paid about close to $3,000 for the privilege of doing so.

Also, yeah, your clear contempt for dogs other than those of your preferred breed is making you sound, to put it charitably (and unbannably) a bit...insensitive. You don't have to want "some mutt" yourself in order to care about the welfare of all dogs.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:35 PM

1,261 posts, read 951,530 times
Quote:
They aren't now, but that could very well happen if most breeders/"puppy mills" get shut down. My pet store Frenchie cost $5,500
I'm...speechless. I've been researching Frenchie breeders because my husband loves them. Reputable breeders in my area (who health feat, keep the parents in their home, raise the puppies in the house, etc) are charging $3500. I have a hard time believing that breeders in your area are charging $25K per pup. Perhaps you were misinformed? Regardless, next time you could take a vacation to the Midwest and get a reputable breeder pup for less!

Old 09-17-2017, 10:35 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
If you are so set on a specific breed that you are willing to see dogs abused in order to keep the supply "affordable," then you are part of the problem, yes.

You probably paid too much. Don't forget that not only does the cost of a pet store dog cover the price the store paid to the breeder, it also includes a markup that is usually around 100%. So, not only did you unwittingly support an unscrupulous breeder, you paid about close to $3,000 for the privilege of doing so.

Also, yeah, your clear contempt for dogs other than those of your preferred breed is making you sound, to put it charitably (and unbannably) a bit...insensitive. You don't have to want "some mutt" yourself in order to care about the welfare of all dogs.
Honestly, anyone who isn't a vegan and doesn't own any fabrics made from animal hide like leather has no room to chastise me on this subject

Old 09-17-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I'm...speechless. I've been researching Frenchie breeders because my husband loves them. Reputable breeders in my area (who health feat, keep the parents in their home, raise the puppies in the house, etc) are charging $3500. I have a hard time believing that breeders in your area are charging $25K per pup. Perhaps you were misinformed? Regardless, next time you could take a vacation to the Midwest and get a reputable breeder pup for less!
My point was, reduce the supply, like this will do, and watch prices shoot through the stratosphere for already desirable breeds

Old 09-17-2017, 10:38 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Story time:

When I lived in the Everglades, it became apparent to me that a lot of people had the stupid idea that putting a pet "back out in to the wild" was a better choice than finding a rescue or even going to the shelter. I'll never forget one of the cats dumped off out there. We saw the people dump the cat off, but before we realized what had happened, they were down the road.

I was unable to capture the cat in time. The cat was terrorized by being dumped in the middle of nowhere, a place he/she did not know. The cat was running around, wildly, in fear. Unfortunately, it ran right towards a gator. To this day, it still upsets me greatly to even think about it...worst fricken sight I've ever seen. And some people think that's "better" than taking the cat to the local shelter or a rescue.

I said in another post that I rescued a LOT of animals while I lived there because of stupid people like that. I rescued well over 30. I worked with a rescue organization to get the majority adopted to good homes. I worked closely with the lady who volunteered, (not even paid at all), and we had a lot of discussions.

To edit what we talked about, she made it clear to me that while there are very good rescues out there, there were some rescues who used their non profit rescue status as a way to pay their own bills and not have to work.

Being a rescue organization, or part of one, typically doesn't pay well at all. They are non profit, so every dime that goes in to the rescue is used on the rescues. Well, some rescues stretch the meaning of "for the rescue".

They will state that their home is sheltering the animals, so part of that donated money actually goes towards their own rent. They also use it to pay for their electricity, their phone bill, their internet, their car payments, their insurance (since they may transport), gas, maintenance, etc, all under the guise of "it's for the rescued animals".

Yes, you could say that it is for the rescued animals, they do need a place, there does need to be electricity, they do need a phone and internet to contact potential adopters and to inform the public about the rescues. Yes, they do need a car to transport, and insurance to cover the journey, and the gas to get there and back, as well as use the car to go get the strays or abandoned pets they have been made aware of...sure. You could use that argument.

But most people don't donate that money to pay for someone's household expenses. They donate it to buy food for the pet, or toys, blankets, beds, leashes, collars, vaccinations, vet visits, etc.

And yes, those rescues do use some of the money for that, but that's secondary. The more pets they have, the more money they get in donations, and they set up everywhere to get that money from the public. The only thing they would end up paying for is their own entertainment and food to eat. Every other expense that they have can be covered by "it's needed for the rescue".

That is why some rescues hoard animals. They'll adopt some out here and there, to keep 'legit', but they will be militant and absurdly picky because in the end, it doesn't actually end up costing them anything, and, in fact, they have turned it in to a full time job of taking another animal home with them.

This is not all rescues. There are plenty of good rescues out there who do it because they actually care about the animals. Unfortunately, the militant lunatics who use 'non profit rescue' as their income, and hoard animals on their property make the legit, good rescues look bad.
It is just as important to look into the credentials of a rescue as it is with any other source of dogs and cats. Most are outstanding, but yes, some are, indeed, little more than hoarders. A key question should always be, "how many animals have you actually placed?" And any rescue that will not let you visit its facilities (provided they do not foster out most of their animals, as many do), should be written off just as quickly as a breeder that won't let you see the parent dogs, or at least the mom.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:43 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
You want to take away people's choice, that I am against
That's all well and good but your choice should end when it involves the unnecessary suffering of millions of dogs for the sole pleasure of you being able to buy your dog from a pet store. You can buy your dogs elsewhere and it won't hurt you one bit. In fact there's a good chance, not buying from a pet store will give you a healthier dog at a lower cost and no one needs to suffer.
Dogs are property but they are not inanimate objects like your sofa that can be mass produced without dire consequences.
You don't have a lot of choices when what you want brings suffering and pain to someone else and dogs suffer and feel pain no less than you do. It shouldn't be a difficult thing to do and to understand. If you just don't care, then that's another matter entirely.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's all well and good but your choice should end when it involves the unnecessary suffering of millions of dogs for the sole pleasure of you being able to buy your dog from a pet store. You can buy your dogs elsewhere and it won't hurt you one bit. In fact there's a good chance, not buying from a pet store will give you a healthier dog at a lower cost and no one needs to suffer.
Dogs are property but they are not inanimate objects like your sofa that can be mass produced without dire consequences.
You don't have a lot of choices when what you want brings suffering and pain to someone else and dogs suffer and feel pain no less than you do. It shouldn't be a difficult thing to do and to understand. If you just don't care, then that's another matter entirely.
Do you people whine this much when a cow is punched in the skull with a captive bolt stunner and has it's throat slit all while still alive to start the butchering process for our steaks and hamburgers?

I sense a lot of hypocrisy here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies