Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times

Advertisements

Who would be "forcing" you to own a mutt in this puppy mill-less future you are envisioning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 08:31 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
My pug didn't cost $5,500, my Frenchie did. Reading comprehension is important. My pug was $800.

And I wouldn't even own a dog if I couldn't own the breed I want. So fine, I guess I'm a bad person because I don't value some lab/shepherd mutt or whatever.....
No, it doesn't make you a bad person because you prefer a specific breed of dog. I know a little bit about French bulldogs as I owned one for many years. I acquired mine from someone I knew at work who showed Frenchies at national dog shows and was considered a good breeder. This was in the early 90s before the craze of owning Frenchies began. The general public at that time, overall had no idea what a French bulldog was. They were one of the most unpopular breeds. Then one showed up in a popular movie, and some commercials were made with French bulldogs and the breed gained popularity very quickly, too quickly.

I paid $300 for my Frenchie who was barely one year old. He was a fawn colored very nice looking dog but not show quality, so he was sold to me knowing he would have a good home. He lived to be 15 years old which is virtually unheard of today. Most people are lucky now if their Frenchies live to be 10-12 years old because they have been very poorly bred with no concern about health and genetics because of their popularity.
Puppymills began to mass produce them and inbreeding them to get as many puppies out there as possible and as quickly as possible. They even imported them from Russia to use as breeding stock. The Russian Frenchies had major health issues especially with their spines. They were inferior to American French bulldogs in health and breed standards. Today, you are almost guaranteed that your Frenchie is a decedent of an inferior Russian French bulldog, and it's very likely your dog will suffer the consequences of that. I hope not, but it's a high probability as pet store French bulldogs especially are well known for their health problems.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:35 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
No, it doesn't make you a bad person because you prefer a specific breed of dog. I know a little bit about French bulldogs as I owned one for many years. I acquired mine from someone I knew at work who showed Frenchies at national dog shows and was considered a good breeder. This was in the early 90s before the craze of owning Frenchies began. The general public at that time, overall had no idea what a French bulldog was. They were one of the most unpopular breeds. Then one showed up in a popular movie, and some commercials were made with French bulldogs and the breed gained popularity very quickly, too quickly.

I paid $300 for my Frenchie who was barely one year old. He was a fawn colored very nice looking dog but not show quality, so he was sold to me knowing he would have a good home. He lived to be 15 years old which is virtually unheard of today. Most people are lucky now if their Frenchies live to be 10-12 years old because they have been very poorly bred with no concern about health and genetics because of their popularity.
Puppymills began to mass produce them and inbreeding them to get as many puppies out there as possible and as quickly as possible. They even imported them from Russia to use as breeding stock. The Russian Frenchies had major health issues especially with their spines. They were inferior to American French bulldogs in health and breed standards. Today, you are almost guaranteed that your Frenchie is a decedent of an inferior Russian French bulldog, and it's very likely your dog will suffer the consequences of that. I hope not, but it's a high probability as pet store French bulldogs especially are well known for their health problems.
My parents and I owned a pug and a Frenchie when I was growing up (different dogs than the pug and Frenchie I own now), and the pug lived to 17 and the Frenchie lived to 15

Old 09-18-2017, 08:35 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I hope you realize the cruelty in your statement.

But you are wrong. Both dogs and cats survive just fine in the wild.
My little dogs would not do well in the wild. My little/youngest one is such a diva she would probably be killed in an off the leash dog park LOL. It's hard to believe they are 99% grey wolf.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Who would be "forcing" you to own a mutt in this puppy mill-less future you are envisioning?
If enough puppy mills got shut down, I could picture $10k pugs and $25k Frenchies and Englishes, and my budget can't afford that, so it would be either be dogless, or own a mutt or breed I don't want

Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
I recently saw a video about how we have dumbed our dogs down like we have our children. They put some tests together for dogs and wolves to figure out how to get food, simple little mechanisms that would open doors to food. The wolves were much quicker. In some cases the dogs just laid down and looked at their owners like "please deal with this for me"

It was embarrassing for them LOL.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
If enough puppy mills got shut down, I could picture $10k pugs and $25k Frenchies and Englishes, and my budget can't afford that, so it would be either be dogless, or own a mutt or breed I don't want
Boo hoo.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Boo hoo.
You seem real happy to take choice away from people 😒

At the end of the day, they are not people, so I don't understand the hypocrisy

Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
You seem real happy to take choice away from people 😒

At the end of the day, they are not people, so I don't understand the hypocrisy
I heard French bulldogs will cost $2M in the future! I guess you are screwed.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:47 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
You've already been proven wrong on that. The largest cities in CA had banned selling puppies at pet stores several years ago. Millions of people still acquire French bulldogs and pugs here. They are very popular breeds. The prices have not gone up. There are ample backyard breeders, hobby breeders and breeders that occasionally breed to make extra money to fill the need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies