Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 10:45 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,271,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Animal abuse is illegal, being a large-scale breeder of dogs is not.

Do you define any large for-profit breeder as a puppy mill or only those who keep 5 toy-breed dogs sitting in their own feces in a rabbit hutch?

What's your definition of a puppy mill?
Webster dictionary definition:
:a commercial farming operation in which purebred dogs are raised in large numbers

Wiki definition: an establishment that breeds puppies for sale, typically on an intensive basis and in conditions regarded as inhumane:

Different states have different laws regarding animal abuse and how it's defined. Large puppymills in some states are considered farms and dogs are no different than other livestock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 11:02 AM

88,988 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Which position? The person losing benefits mugging me, or me for being mugged?
Even being in the position to BE mugged? Why would you make that CHOICE for yourself?

Old 09-17-2017, 11:03 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
There's already a black market for some breeds. Another good argument for not leaving dogs tied up outside alone - theft.
That's why I SMH at rescues fussing about whether a house has a fenced yard or not. Properly cared for dogs get WALKED, not merely let out back when tbey need to relieve themselves, and they aren't left out by themselves so they can develop a habitual howling/barking habit because they are bored or missing their "people."

Old 09-17-2017, 11:22 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
That's why I SMH at rescues fussing about whether a house has a fenced yard or not. Properly cared for dogs get WALKED, not merely let out back when tbey need to relieve themselves, and they aren't left out by themselves so they can develop a habitual howling/barking habit because they are bored or missing their "people."
Oh, I can understand the desirability of a fenced yard, but I agree with you that it should not be a requirement. For one thing, it is not a guarantee of proper care, and for another, it eliminates a lot of potentially good owners who do not have one, for whatever reason (apartment dwellers come immediately to mind.)

Old 09-17-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Oh, I can understand the desirability of a fenced yard, but I agree with you that it should not be a requirement. For one thing, it is not a guarantee of proper care, and for another, it eliminates a lot of potentially good owners who do not have one, for whatever reason (apartment dwellers come immediately to mind.)
We dogsat several dogs when I was growing up, and we had no fence on our back yard. Those dogs all got walked at least 4 times per day, usually by me, to the point where they would be sleeping shortly after we got home. They were never outside without supervision and a watchful eye on where their attention was directed. We never had a problem with any of them running off or disturbing the neighbors. This was also before crating was a "thing," and they never would have needed that either. They knew where their "place" was.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Every rescue is different and they all have different rules. I've done a little bit of volunteering for a breed specific rescue. Generally, this rescue does not adopt out to people who do not have a fenced yard and there are legitimate reasons for that but there are exceptions like for people that live in condominiums. The dog's safety is #1 priority. I know there are wonderful dog owners that don't have fenced yards but there are also many that would keep a dog tied up outside, let the dog loose on it's own to roam the neighborhood. A dog living in a house without a fenced yard is also much more likely to be attacked by a roaming unfriendly dog if unsupervised. There are legitimate reasons.
The rescues priority is the wellness and safety of the dog. Not everyone is going to be happy about that, but the dogs are better for it overall.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:38 AM

19,617 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Then they are never off-leash. Maybe this makes them too dependent. It's nice when a dog can have his own outdoor space sometimes and just be let out rather than walked on a leash. They shouldn't be out all day, that is mean.

What kills me is these small kennels passing as fenced enclosures. My neighbor had three big dogs in one and they barked all the time. I guess its legal as long as there is shelter and water. That should have just been for a short time outside but they left them out there all the time.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Every rescue is different and they all have different rules. I've done a little bit of volunteering for a breed specific rescue. Generally, this rescue does not adopt out to people who do not have a fenced yard and there are legitimate reasons for that but there are exceptions like for people that live in condominiums. The dog's safety is #1 priority. I know there are wonderful dog owners that don't have fenced yards but there are also many that would keep a dog tied up outside, let the dog loose on it's own to roam the neighborhood. A dog living in a house without a fenced yard is also much more likely to be attacked by a roaming unfriendly dog if unsupervised. There are legitimate reasons.
The rescues priority is the wellness and safety of the dog. Not everyone is going to be happy about that, but the dogs are better for it overall.
So in my case I would be turned down if I had no back yard IN SPITE OF the fact that I have close to 20 years experience caring for dogs (1982-circa 2000) without a fenced in back yard, and that my own personal philosophy of dog care states that dogs should never be outside without constant supervision??

Very discriminatory.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:44 AM

My dog has a fenced yard and a doggy door. He spends 98 percent of his time inside but goes out into the yard by himself when he wants to and needs to. When he goes out into the back yard, I don't have to worry about him being attacked by another dog or wondering off. I also take him for walks on a leash, for car rides and other places and he really enjoys. I think it's about balance.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
So in my case I would be turned down if I had no back yard IN SPITE OF the fact that I have close to 20 years experience caring for dogs (1982-circa 2000) without a fenced in back yard, and that my own personal philosophy of dog care states that dogs should never be outside without constant supervision??

Very discriminatory.
Yes, it's discriminatory. Unfortunately, the rescue has no way of knowing what your background is with dogs and how responsible you have been. They won't take that chance, for the benefit of the dog. Too many bad things can happen.
They'd rather you be unhappy with them than have the dog run away and get lost, be tied up outside or be attacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies