Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 05:12 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,561,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
more ridiculous nanny state liberalism in California! Some people may not want a rescue as some of them have been abandoned and have psychological issues and may not make for the best pets. Also its never right to just abandon a pet but sometimes its because the pet just cannot be discplined or is dangerous. This is also going to put a lot of breeders out of business too. California seems to have gone off the deep end a long time ago.

Looking closer at what "puppy mills" are all about, that would be awesome.
Find another job, other than making money on animal's misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 05:18 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

Looking closer at what "puppy mills" are all about, that would be awesome.
Find another job, other than making money on animal's misery.
What about the people who want a pug or a French bulldog (like myself) but don't have $25k to pay a breeder for one, since this would greatly cut down on the supply of them, what just tough $#/+?

Old 09-17-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
What about the people who want a pug or a French bulldog (like myself) but don't have $25k to pay a breeder for one, since this would greatly cut down on the supply of them, what just tough $#/+?
What's about it?
If you like animals and care about them, you'll understand the source of a problem.
After all, having a specific purebred is not a "life or death" situation.
It's a fine example of "wants" vs "needs."

Old 09-17-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
What's about it?
If you like animals and care about them, you'll understand the source of a problem.
After all, having a specific purebred is not a "life or death" situation.
It's a fine example of "wants" vs "needs."
I bought my pug and Frenchie both at pet stores, and wouldn't know what to do without them. You'd rather me have never had them in the first place....

Old 09-17-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. I know some dog breeders, and I once knew a couple who ran a puppy mill. The legitimate breeders never breed their dogs more than they have buyers lined up for the pups.

Of course, no one knows just how many puppies they will get in a litter, but the kennel owners who really want their favorite dog breed to improve never are in it just for the money. They breed for the love of the dogs. If that means neutering a less worthy puppy and selling it, or giving it away, so be it.

Sadly, the people I know who ended up with a puppy mill started out that way. But they ran into hard times just when they type of dogs they bred went through a popularity fad, and they became greedy once the money started flowing in from pet stores; they only made half on every pup that they once made selling them straight out of the kennel, but the numbers more than made up for the price.

In the end, they were living in a world of dog excrement and mutual misery. You could smell their place out in the country before you could see it through the trees, and you could hear the yapping of the dogs as soon as you could smell it. Where once they had 8 dogs at the most, they had 30, with a lot of the pups unfit for AKA registry because they were line-breeding (animal incest).

Far too many animals for them to care for, and with declining sales because the quality of their dogs had fallen so far. Once their sales to the pet stores stopped, they were caught in a mess they made for themselves.

The county eventually stepped in, prosecuted them for animal cruelty, and stopped it all. Most of the dogs were euthanized by the county shelter because they were so sick or crazy that they were un-adoptable.

Euthanization is a part of the dog breeding business folks never think about, but it happens all the time. Limiting the numbers of puppies to be sold is part and parcel of the business, so too many puppies at once can be worse than not enough pups.

Ironically, it's the dog breeders who can't stand the thought of putting a litter of pups down who are often the ones who end up running a puppy mill. The best pups are always the quickest to sell, but the mill owners can't stand the thought of giving a puppy they have money invested in away if it can't sell, and they don't want the added expense of neutering them.

So the number multiply real fast, and the dogs are, by and large, essentially more feral than domesticated. They never get any attention or training, are more starved than fed, and end up living in their own filth because the owners can't keep up with keeping the facilities clean.

It only takes a year for the situation to get out of hand if there's no discipline in the people; the dogs do what dogs do naturally, and a female dog can have 2 litters a year. In many breeds, a female pup can breed before she is a year old.

One dog can easily multiply into 5 or 6 more with conditions like this, so it can happen really fast, especially when dog breeding is a part-time business.

And there are always a lot of buyers who like their dog so much they want to have some puppies from it. These folks begin breeding dogs with no real idea of how expensive it is, what it takes to sell puppies, or how difficult it can be once they begin.
1 dog multiplies to 3. 3 dogs multiply to 12. 12 dogs multiply to 30 very fast when there's no discipline or control.
These "puppy mills" finally explain to me a mystery why I see so many poor looking "purebreds" in the US, not to mention that what you write about is a good example of why this approach shouldn't be practiced at all. This "love for specific breed" starts slipping into abuse pretty fast.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I bought my pug and Frenchie both at pet stores, and wouldn't know what to do without them. You'd rather me have never had them in the first place....
Correct.
That's what I am talking about.
You'd probably have ended up with some cute mutt instead, whom you'd love all the same, and wouldn't imagine your life without him/her.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:38 PM

19,846 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure they are not $25,000. One can get a pet Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy from a show breeder for $2,500 or less.

My rescue just had a bonded pair of French bulldogs that we adopted out together. We have had gorgeous standard poodles, labradoodles, an occasional pug and a few papillons. Every breed has at least one, if not multiple, breed specific rescues. Anyone who knowingly chooses to buy a puppymill puppy from a pet store is a fool or a gambler.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Correct.
That's what I am talking about.
You'd probably have ended up with some cute mutt instead, whom you'd love all the same, and wouldn't imagine your life without him/her.
I didn't want a stupid mutt, I specifically wanted a French Bulldog and a Pug. If that makes me a animal abuser to you, then so be it.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I'm pretty sure they are not $25,000. One can get a pet Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy from a show breeder for $2,500 or less.

My rescue just had a bonded pair of French bulldogs that we adopted out together. We have had gorgeous standard poodles, labradoodles, an occasional pug and a few papillons. Every breed has at least one, if not multiple, breed specific rescues. Anyone who knowingly chooses to buy a puppymill puppy from a pet store is a fool or a gambler.
They aren't now, but that could very well happen if most breeders/"puppy mills" get shut down. My pet store Frenchie cost $5,500

Old 09-17-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I didn't want a stupid mutt, I specifically wanted a French Bulldog and a Pug. If that makes me a animal abuser to you, then so be it.
As I've said - it's about "wants" vs "needs" and if people like you are not a part of the solution, then they are a part of a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies