Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Antifa is a terrorist group and should be forbidden or not?
Antifa should not be allowed as it should be labeled a terrorist/hate group 83 65.35%
Antifa should be allowed 44 34.65%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:35 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I was at a local street fair yesterday and saw a bunch of old guys wearing Bernie shirts and selling Anti-Fascist books and merchandise...reminded me of the older guy Tim Pool interviewed in his Berkeley/Ben Shapiro video last weekend. I would have been curious to talk to them if I wasn't with anyone else.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are Vietnam vets who are antifa. I was a Vietnam era vet, but never served there.

I know (or once knew) guys who did, though, and a lot of them came back radicalized from the war.
They might have been young Republicans in crew cuts when they went in, but after they came back, they grew their hair long and looked more hippie than the hippies did. And smoked a hell of a lot of pot, too.

it wouldn't surprise me if some became antifa at all. They came back permanently pissed off at the establishment, and while I don't see any of them very often now, and some not at all, I'm sure that attitude has not mellowed with age and time in some.

All the antifa stuff is very easy to find on the net. Bernie would be the guy who attracted some, for sure, but I'm sure he doesn't like the movement all that much.

Since the war finally ended in 1975, an 18-year old kid who was in the Army at that time would be around 60 now. Old, but still young enough to raise hell. Most of the guys are older, though; I think 1968 was the year when the number of troops was the highest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 02:43 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Your list is exactly why antifa formed!

If you stop them while they're still small and weak, they never grow big and strong. That's antifa's view. Antifa is just shorthand for Anti-Fascist.

Violence met with violence. Intimidation with intimidation. They don't care if anyone agrees with them or not.

I can't say how they act when it comes to election results.

They have such loose organization that I expect anyone could show up in black and try to start a fight just for the fun of it, but at the same time, it would be up to the other antifa as to whether they decided to join that guy or not. They could also jump him, too.

Like I mentioned, I just did some time learning about them. I don't support them, care about them, or sympathize with them. I share the same indifference to all the Nazis and the KKK. But I do read a lot, and read a lot of history.
If you want to take a shot at the messenger, it's OK with me. I don't mind if you find them hilarious.

The way I see it, all of them have been around for a long time now. Some longer than others, but none are new, except that antifa is the newest here in the U.S. The movement didn't exist during the Occupy movement, and it probably has old occupiers in it now. I would think some are geezers, who threw smoke bombs back in the Vietnam war demonstrations of the 1970s and earlier.

But several posters to this topic seem to think they are like the groups they oppose. They are not all all like those groups. The fact is they are the flip side of those other groups.
Your mistake is assuming that all of them wear black and are not organized. They ARE organized. Not all of them wear black. Pay attention when you see them in photos or on the news. There are different colors, not just black. Those colors represent what the person does. They definitely have leaders who tell others what to do. Those in black clad are not all necessarily informed of that, most of them are just meat. The real organization is in the colors.

Honestly, this information is out there, you just have to look for it. People have infiltrated antifa, and people have been able to identify the different colors, what they mean, who they are (in a lot of cases, not all), and what those different colors are doing/how they are directing actions.

To assume that this is nothing more than dumb college kids is to be ignorant on the subject. A lot of the ones you see swarming any rally, the ones the news shows, are those dumb college kids. Look closer next time, there's definitely organization, and there's definitely people who are older adults, professionals even, who are doing a lot of directing.

Most people, however, do not want to spend the time looking that closely. Can't say that I entirely blame them, but you can't talk about something when you don't take the time to do that because you spread misinformation, and aren't getting how very dedicated those leaders are at causing disruption and violence to push their agenda.

And yes, they have been around longer than the Occupy Movement:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ant/593867001/

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...the-world.html

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 09-18-2017 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 02:50 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The real organization is in the colors.

Honestly, this information is out there, you just have to look for it. People have infiltrated antifa, and people have been able to identify the different colors, what they mean, who they are (in a lot of cases, not all), and what those different colors are doing/how they are directing actions.

To assume that this is nothing more than dumb college kids is to be ignorant on the subject. A lot of the ones you see swarming any rally, the ones the news shows, are those dumb college kids. Look closer next time, there's definitely organization, and there's definitely people who are older adults, professionals even, who are doing a lot of directing.
Most of them are not college kids at all.

Please - turn them into the FBI...and while you are at it, turn in a couple hundred organized militias who are practicing bayoneting American citizens.

Heck, Trump made it clear he liked "toughs" who "took care" of people that the majority of any crowd didn't like. I'd say these folks are doing Trumps bidding....

In a country of 320 million there are lots of things happening that people may not agree with. Anyone who says "Violence is not the answer" usually changes their mind if their family member is raped or killed. They change their minds if they join LE or the Military. They even change their minds if they are in the Martial Arts.

It might be more useful to discuss self-defense and even community standards. If, in the end, a couple antifa vigilantes scare away the Nazis and the KKK the end result may be worth the scofflaw. If, on the other hand, they end up ginning up the violence (the KKK fights back), then it may have been a bad idea.

I always Made Love Not War. Then again, the KKK and Nazis weren't screaming about killing Jews when I was "of age".

Old 09-18-2017, 02:58 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Please - turn them into the FBI...and while you are at it, turn in a couple hundred organized militias who are practicing bayoneting American citizens.

Heck, Trump made it clear he liked "toughs" who "took care" of people that the majority of any crowd didn't like. I'd say these folks are doing Trumps bidding....

In a country of 320 million there are lots of things happening that people may not agree with. Anyone who says "Violence is not the answer" usually changes their mind if their family member is raped or killed. They change their minds if they join LE or the Military. They even change their minds if they are in the Martial Arts.

It might be more useful to discuss self-defense and even community standards. If, in the end, a couple antifa vigilantes scare away the Nazis and the KKK the end result may be worth the scofflaw. If, on the other hand, they end up ginning up the violence (the KKK fights back), then it may have been a bad idea.

I always Made Love Not War. Then again, the KKK and Nazis weren't screaming about killing Jews when I was "of age".
No, they do not. I am a veteran. I did not change my mind that "violence is not the answer". Stop painting all military as violent hungry people, that is not even close to reality.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:12 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

The alt right is a inconsequential group of losers. The people that make up ANTIFA is pretty much the same.

I don't understand why the alt right do not just buy an island somewhere, move there and live out there whites only fantasy world. Be easier than trying to change a country with more than 300 million+ people which will never happen.

That should put an end to ANTIFA although they seem to have hate towards anyone who is not like them so who knows. The Feds could then squash ANTIFA with not too much effort.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
The violence they commit is already forbidden. Why do you feel we need more laws?

Old 09-19-2017, 01:37 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Antifa is a hate group and in my opinion should be labeled a terrorist group. What is your opinion?
BLM got a million dollar check ... antifa? is there money in it?

Old 09-19-2017, 04:10 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
I believe in the first amendment therefore I voted they should be "allowed". I do not agree with ANYTHING they do or stand for however they have a right to express themselves.

If any member of Antifa commits a crime they should go to jail.

Yes it is somewhat ironic that I say this about "Antifa" or as I like to call them "Anti First amendment".

Old 09-19-2017, 07:23 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I believe in the first amendment therefore I voted they should be "allowed". I do not agree with ANYTHING they do or stand for however they have a right to express themselves.

If any member of Antifa commits a crime they should go to jail.

Yes it is somewhat ironic that I say this about "Antifa" or as I like to call them "Anti First amendment".
You got that right.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:10 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Antifa is a hate group and in my opinion should be labeled a terrorist group. What is your opinion?
I voted "yes" but I am assuming they go beyond opinion and advocacy into action and/or incitement. If they simply espouse odious opinions they must be allowed to operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies