Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 06:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I'm for ACA (with some fixes) but in this case, I think a complete repeal would be better than Graham-Cassidy. G-C is kind of like the worst of both pre-ACA (pre-existing condition discrimination) and ACA (taxpayers subsidizing other people's healthcare). What's the point?
That is what I'm starting to think.

I'm wondering why they just don't repeal it.

I'm for fixing the ACA because to me it would be easier than overhauling the system again -- or that's how I think....but seriously all these new proposals sound worse to me.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:09 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
The Graham/Cassidy Bill:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...921_story.html

Third time the charm?

Lies!! Trump said he had a plan before he became president. He never told anyone what it was just that he had one.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:18 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,447,190 times
Default Key Governors Come Out Against Bill

Governors from key states oppose bill:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...4c2_story.html

Old 09-19-2017, 06:20 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,447,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
THANK You for taking the time to explain it to me. I do appreciate it.

Like you -- the idea might work but yikes -- some states make such stupid decisions -- lol.....I know shouldn't be the federal govt.'s job to police them -- it is up to the voters in the state.
Would devolve to the States with the best tax base and the political will...States like Massachusetts would see little change..people in Kentucky or West Virginia...would be royally screwed.

Last edited by EvilEyeFleegle; 09-19-2017 at 07:09 PM..

Old 09-19-2017, 06:51 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You are right. Seniors pay 1/3 of their health care costs, including your parents and grandparents. Workers paid what they were mandated in their monthly check for decades as a promise for health care when old.
Well, since government health care is "bad", that should mean Medicare too. Time to get everyone off of government health care and make everyone pay their own cost.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I want it to pass. The GOP will be wiped out next year in the midterms by all those people without insurance or those over 50 paying massive premiums. Watch out for those pre-existing conditions cause they are back.

They are going to give money to states and let them spend it however they want. Seriously?
I'm of the same mind. Let people lose their health coverage. They didn't fight for it, they elected people that delighted in taking it away, let the GOP be the party that took away health coverage. Especially looking forward to seeing McConnell tell Kentucky that Kynect is gone. Next they need to take away disability from the South. Let's just take it all away and watch the fallout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Would devolve to the States with the best ta base and the political will...States like Massachusetts would see little change..people in Kentucky or West Virginia...would be royally screwed.
Exactly and I will laugh and laugh and laugh.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Well, since government health care is "bad", that should mean Medicare too. Time to get everyone off of government health care and make everyone pay their own cost.
Workers who paid into Medicare for 40 years from their take home paycheck were promised health care in their old age.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:58 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,004 times
Default Why are we even talking about health insurance?

Years ago, (admittedly at least a couple of decades), it wasn't even necessary. Suddenly it's gotten so bad (and I agree the insurance companies are a pain) that many cannot afford it due to the preexisting condition stuff, etc. However, considering that we've seen bad experiences with the VA HERE in America (never mind in Europe, forget that, we don't have Europe's government, we have ours, nor do we have Canada's, we have ours.), some doubt how single payer would work out. Insurance limits the doctors you can take. Things like Medicaid, etc, limit the doctors you can take. Wouldn't we want an option that increases the number of possible doctors you could take? (Which would be neither the insurance route or the Big Government route)

Let's put it this way: employers would probably FAVOR single payer or free market like it was before insurance was around. What they don't like is being stuck having to pay for this and pay for that for the employee because the government says they have to.

If they go the single payer route, the taxpayers pay the money and they are free of all of these burdens. (Though it comes with the negative side effect of the people being dependent on the government.) If healthcare was no longer tied to an employer and employers weren't stuck having to provide all of this stuff and people could afford it on their own, more hiring would happen and also more people could get healthcare at the same time. With this route, there would also be less taxes (like we had single payer) and more money for people to spend on other things.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
People who paid into Medicare for 40 years from their take home paycheck were promised health care in their old age.
Times are tough. They didn't pay for it, it's too expensive and after all, "government healthcare is BAD" according to the GOP and seniors tend to vote GOP. If these seniors are so eager for others to lose health coverage, let them lose it too. They can have what they contributed back. That won't even pay for a heart bypass but they won't have that evil government in their health care. They can shop for a policy like everyone else.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:06 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Times are tough. They didn't pay for it, it's too expensive and after all, "government healthcare is BAD" according to the GOP and seniors tend to vote GOP. If these seniors are so eager for others to lose health coverage, let them lose it too. They can have what they contributed back. That won't even pay for a heart bypass but they won't have that evil government in their health care. They can shop for a policy like everyone else.
Workers did "pay for [Medicare]", in every paycheck for their entire working lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies