Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 01:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yup. Because despite all the fulminating, it seems that most Americans actually like knowing that their insurance won't be jerked out from underneath them just when they need it most.

They also like knowing that they can't be held in virtual bondage to a particular employer just because they have diabetes. Or arthritis. Or had a c-section once.

And they also like knowing that less well-off people are at least paying something for their health care.

Go figure.
Nope, they're happy with it being useless and expensive unless of course you're not paying or paying very little for it then you're happy as a clam...
Given how Congress has not been able to agree on squat odds are that it'll crash before anything happens. Just wait until the new premiums come out...

Old 09-27-2017, 03:26 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,960,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Nope, they're happy with it being useless and expensive unless of course you're not paying or paying very little for it then you're happy as a clam...
Given how Congress has not been able to agree on squat odds are that it'll crash before anything happens. Just wait until the new premiums come out...
Yup, the liberals think the ACA is perfect. Unfortunately for the Democrats, millions of Americans know otherwise because they are paying exorbitant premiums for policies that have gigantic deductibles. Basically, ACA forces people to buy unusable health insurance so the government can subsidize uninsured people. In exchange for this wealth transfer, the people on the receiving end of course vote Democrat and populate message boards to vociferously defend this debacle.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Yup, the liberals think the ACA is perfect. Unfortunately for the Democrats, millions of Americans know otherwise because they are paying exorbitant premiums for policies that have gigantic deductibles. Basically, ACA forces people to buy unusable health insurance so the government can subsidize uninsured people. In exchange for this wealth transfer, the people on the receiving end of course vote Democrat and populate message boards to vociferously defend this debacle.
Absolutely no one I have come across thinks ACA is very good. But a lot better than the alternatives so far proposed. It may however be survivable with major fixes.

It may well be that the time is on us for single payer. When you realize we pay far more for health care with a worse outcome than most of the developed nations it is rather obvious we are not doing something right.

I am in that class of retiree who had a promise of forever health care at no cost from a long term employer. Did not happen though and now I spend the most money of my entire life for health insurance.

Basically health care is an area where free market capitalism does not function. And we need to fix that. And it may well be time for single payer - Medicare for all.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:28 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
It will fail

Old 09-27-2017, 04:40 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Yup, the liberals think the ACA is perfect.
You should consider arguing against what people actually say, not what you imagine they say.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You should consider arguing against what people actually say, not what you imagine they say.
Show me the Democrat plan to fix the ACA.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:38 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Show me the Democrat plan to fix the ACA.
You might have noticed, the Ds can't do it by themselves. It will have to be a bipartisan effort, and that means horse trading.

Here's a summary of the ideas that have been bandied about as a basis for common ground.
5 Ideas That Could Be Part of a Bipartisan ACA Repair Plan

Apparently, Alexander is reviving his effort to put together a bipartisan bill. I don't think they had gotten so far as to have a draft ready for review.

http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2017/09/...urn=1506555016

At a minimum, congress/Trump should assure the insurance companies that the cost-sharing payments will be made, since uncertainty about this is driving premiums up.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You might have noticed, the Ds can't do it by themselves. It will have to be a bipartisan effort, and that means horse trading.

Here's a summary of the ideas that have been bandied about as a basis for common ground.
5 Ideas That Could Be Part of a Bipartisan ACA Repair Plan

Apparently, Alexander is reviving his effort to put together a bipartisan bill. I don't think they had gotten so far as to have a draft ready for review.

http://www.thinkadvisor.com/2017/09/...urn=1506555016

At a minimum, congress/Trump should assure the insurance companies that the cost-sharing payments will be made, since uncertainty about this is driving premiums up.
So their plan is a bailout of the insurance companies. Hopefully there are enough actual conservatives in the Senate to filibuster such a "fix" until reinforcements arrive in 2018.

All 49 GOP Senators who kept their word and voted to repeal ACA should be just as bipartisan as the Democrats were when passing it and over the 7 years since. I.e. Do not compromise on ANYTHING.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:44 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,917,076 times
Quote:
Yup, the liberals think the ACA is perfect.
I don't know anyone that thinks this.

It was, and is, certainly not perfect. In fact, I think it had some great failings, most notably its lack of cost controls.

That doesn't mean we should support these alternative plans which are worse. Why hasn't anyone been trying to pass something that is better? Why have these plans being put together by the Republicans been so secretive? Where is the open debate on these plans?

Old 09-27-2017, 05:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
So their plan is a bailout of the insurance companies. Hopefully there are enough actual conservatives in the Senate to filibuster such a "fix" until reinforcements arrive in 2018.

All 49 GOP Senators who kept their word and voted to repeal ACA should be just as bipartisan as the Democrats were when passing it and over the 7 years since. I.e. Do not compromise on ANYTHING.
When was this vote you speak of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies