Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 05:18 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You don't have to.

LOL! Good luck? For what? It's just a thread.
No it's not and you know it. We've covered this topic numerous times and we both know it will turn into a antisemitism thread before it makes it to post #20.

NJ is attempting to not let Lakewood get to level of criminal activity that NY has turned a blind eye to for decades for political block voting gain. If they don't get control of Lakewood, then they will have a Kiryas Joel on their hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 05:35 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Trump/Kushner policies in practice.

<<In all of New Jersey, Lakewood had the highest concentration of Donald Trump voters in last year’s presidential election – 74.4%. With their children all in private religious schools, they are strong supporters of Betsy DeVos, the education secretary who has called for school vouchers. Charles and Seryl Kushner, the parents of Trump aide and son-in-law Jared Kushner, are benefactors of the Beth Medrash Govoha yeshiva, and the rotunda of the school’s 2-year-old main building is named for them.

Ultra-Orthodox votes are even more important in local political races. They have installed candidates who favor their interests on the Lakewood school board, township committee and zoning board.
Lakewood’s 30,000 ultra-Orthodox children are ferried to 130 private religious schools on public school buses — boys and girls separately, since they attend single-sex schools — while public schools with only 6,000 children, mostly Latino and African American, have been gutted by a lack of funding. (This is in part due to a quirk in New Jersey’s school financing formula that requires busing for private school students but reimburses the districts based on public school enrollment.)>>

Raids in New Jersey town target ultra-Orthodox Jews accused of welfare fraud. 'What is going on here?' - LA Times

Vouchers used to destroy the public schools. Public funds are effectively being used to support a religious movement. This is the result of the blurring of the Constitutional mandate in the last half century to separate church and state.
Welfare fraud has been rampant for years, especially under obama and includes medicare fraud and every other program involving free stuff mis managed by the government and accepted as business as usual. This incompetence has plagued every administration but has exponentially expanded under obama.

Trump, deVoss, etc have nothing to do with Lakewood and the orthodox community. If anything they are the showcase for the fruits of the obama admoinistration as the fraud has been going on for years under the obama/jarrett administration.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:40 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Public schools have destroyed public schools. I have no issues with this as long as the students they are producing are actually learning something. Also, one could easily argue singling out a school because it's religious is a violation of separation of church and state.
This is an interesting point. How do we determine if they are actually learning?

The most important learning happens at home. Schools just reinforce societal expectations.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Welfare fraud has been rampant for years, especially under obama and includes medicare fraud and every other program involving free stuff mis managed by the government and accepted as business as usual. This incompetence has plagued every administration but has exponentially expanded under obama.

Trump, deVoss, etc have nothing to do with Lakewood and the orthodox community. If anything they are the showcase for the fruits of the obama admoinistration as the fraud has been going on for years under the obama/jarrett administration.
In addition:

It has nothing to do with Federal level politics no matter which POTUS is in charge. It has to do with State (and under) level politics.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
This is an interesting point. How do we determine if they are actually learning?

The most important learning happens at home. Schools just reinforce societal expectations.
They are not. They are getting the bare minimum of secular education (minimum to pass GED) in which very little time per day is used towards secular education. And before you ask how do I know this, I was part of their system until my early teens when I got emancipated from them.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:53 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
They are not. They are getting the bare minimum of secular education (minimum to pass GED) in which very little time per day is used towards secular education. And before you ask how do I know this, I was part of their system until my early teens when I got emancipated from them.
Private schools for the most part have never impressed me so I believe you.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:56 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What's going on here is extensive welfare fraud. These people should be prosecuted to the full extent of the Law. Religion is no excuse for criminal acts.
Exactly. People have known about this situation for years. It's no secret.

Glad something is being done about it.

5,111 posts, read 2,052,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Such groups meaning conservative and strict.
I wonder if they're "CINOs" (Conservative in name only)?

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
Interesting. There was an amnesty program offered (no real participation) and the idea and process of that program was run by the main Orthodox Jewish group. No other group was involved. Other minority groups are now questioning any charges against minorities for welfare fraud. Why no amnesty for their people?

Old 09-24-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Private schools for the most part have never impressed me so I believe you.
Don't confuse them with general private schools which are mostly trustable and reputable. UO schools do not give secular life lessons. Males are taught to be 100% religious and females are taught to be servants of males (to have a job, take care of everything related to the home, to have and raise all children). There are some sects that are better, but they are much smaller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hasidic_dynasties

Last edited by Pruzhany; 09-24-2017 at 06:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies