Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 11:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,766,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So you are ok with my Kentucky windage flintlock.
i had to google it, but yes, sure.

i like guns, what i don't like are civilians owning weapons capable of "mass destruction," whether from the factory or via modifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 11:20 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,367,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Yes, put them in jail for possession of these weapons

government has a monopoly on force, that's how it works.
So did the Nazi's. Is that how it works?

Old 10-03-2017, 11:20 AM

34,257 posts, read 18,628,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Typical liberal response. Let's abide by the parts of the Constitution we modern day thinkers believe to be good, but get rid of the parts we don't like.

Needless to say, if an enemy from within (good examples would be Black Bloc/Antifa types) ever tried to overthrow the government or came to power, without regular citizens ability to own firearms, there would be no way to protect our constitutional republic.
The 2nd amendment is #2 for a reason, because without it, #1 and all the rest are just words on paper. Only our God given right to self determination and freedom can be protected from tyranny, by an armed citizenry.

These are basic tenants, but lost on emotion based thinking, and subversive efforts to undermine our founding principles.

`
Well said sir. Very well said.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:21 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why would anybody need a swimming pool? It kills more children than all the guns combined.

Why would anybody need a car? It kills more people than guns.

Let's legislate by need, but who the hell are you to tell me what I need? How much more condescending can you be?
The difference is those two things, if used as created and designed, will for the most part not harm anyone.

All guns are not created and designed to be used against people. Obviously, assault rifles/weapons of war which are designed exclusively to kill people, quickly and efficiently.

So, to compare swimming pools and cars to guns is not only absurd but patronizing.

In answer to your third question, I'm an American and I have the right to free speech, as guaranteed by the First Amendment.

As to your last question, I am speaking common sense and telling the simple truth.

26,694 posts, read 14,594,176 times
Default Common sense gun control laws everybody should be on board

Let's talk about real solutions:

1. Stop releasing anybody who is ineligible to own a firearm. They need to stay in prison or hospital until their situations change.

2. Impose a mandatory 10 years minimum sentence without parole for anybody committing any felony with any arm, not just guns. The second time, the person gets life without parole.

3. Abolish background check entirely (see #1) - employment or gun purchase. Either people have paid the debt to the society or they should stay in prison until such time.

4. Prohibit all media from glorifying mass murderers. For example, a murderer should only not be named or he should be given ridiculous nickname. Language such as "most deadly mass shooting in history" should not be used.

5. All accomplices including the straw purchaser should be charged with the same crime as the primary.

6. Parents should be held liable for their children (<18) using their guns to commit crime.

7. Change the prison system so that inmates must work, learn or both.

21,991 posts, read 15,742,226 times
After seeing how completely unmoved Republicans were following Sandy Hook, I lost all hope that anything will ever be done. It won't.

One of the worst aspects from the proliferation of guns we have now is the unintended deaths due to children coming across them or death as a result of an escalated conflict where death would not have occurred if a gun hadn't been in such easy reach. IMO we should start charging the gun owner for the result since they were the ones that didn't lock them up.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:22 AM

35,205 posts, read 17,114,091 times
Quote:
Repeal the second amendment, ban all guns except revolvers, double-barrel shotguns, and single-shot rifles. Start the process of taking them out of circulation, stop pretending it is impossible when most countries have successfully accomplished the same.
Quote:
I didn't claim it would be easy, I said it was possible.
Sounds more utopian than possible to me. Even Canada's long-gun registry law passed in or about 1996 accomplished nothing and was repealed. I personally would favor registry if it weren't virtually guaranteed to be a useless, wasteful boondoggle.
Quote:
No, does the government pay market value for illegal cannabis it confiscates? No.
The difference is that many guns are not contraband now. We pay market value for legal property, not contraband.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
So did the Nazi's. Is that how it works?
congrats on invoking godwin's law

Nazis also ate broccoli, did you eat broccoli? Are you a Nazi?

Old 10-03-2017, 11:24 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,340,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Actually I am quite happy living in this country that citizens have rights given to us by our founding fathers who knew what they were doing because of experience. I feel that people like yourself that are so willing to take away the rights of the American people should go where you have no rights.
The First Amendment didn't give us those rights. The First Amendment and the Bill of Rights was written to establish that Government must not infringe upon those rights.

Our inalienable rights come from God.

At the time of the writing of the Constitution, there was much argument and discussion about whether our rights should be enumerated at all, because some believed that if they were, people would claim, as we see happening today, that those rights were granted by government, and therefore government could take them away.

You'll find it all in The Federalist Papers.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Sounds more utopian than possible to me. Even Canada's long-gun registry law passed in or about 1996 accomplished nothing and was repealed. I personally would favor registry if it weren't virtually guaranteed to be a useless, wasteful boondoggle.

The difference is that many guns are not contraband now. We pay market value for legal property, not contraband.
I'm not interested in a registry of any kind.

I don't care that much who owns guns (for the most part), I just want certain types of guns to be taken out of circulation, even if it takes 50 years to accomplish that goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies