Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 04:12 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,286,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
My my that's quite the projection you have there. But if we want to be honest...

In 2015, 10,265 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (29%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
Of the 1, 1,132 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2015, 209 (16%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
In 2015, nearly 1.1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.3 That’s one percent of the 111 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year.

That's just DWI not including regular fatalities from say, speeding, wreck less driving, inclement weather and loss of control, or a pile up on a highway/freeway.

For regular incidents
POLICE-REPORTED MOTOR VEHICLE TRAFFIC CRASHES
Fatal .................................................. ....... 32,166
Injury .................................................. ....... 1,715,000
Property Damage Only ........................................... 4,548,000
Total .................................................. ..... 6,296,000
TRAFFIC CRASH VICTIMS Killed/Injured
Occupants .................................................. .. 23,695/2,230,000
Drivers........................................... ........... 17,466/1,605,000
Passengers .................................................. 6,158/624,000
Unknown .................................................. .. 71/1,000
Motorcyclists .................................................. 4,976/88,000
Nonoccupants ................................................. 6,421/125,000
Pedestrians .................................................. 5,376/70,000
Pedalcyclists ................................................. 818/45,000
Other/Unknown ............................................... 227/10,000
Total .................................................. ....... 35,092/2,443,000

Leading causes of death per CDC

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
Heart disease: 633,842
Cancer: 595,930
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
Diabetes: 79,535
Influenza and Pneumonia: 57,062
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 49,959
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193

I don't see AR15s on that list.

Firearms per CDC

Number of deaths: 33,594
Of those deaths 2014 were suicide
(63.7%) and homicide (32.8%). .637x33,594= 21,400 deaths.

Homicide = 11,019. .328x33,594

Homicide, dying at the hands of another's actions.
Break those statistics down of deaths involving criminal enterprise. You know. Gang activity via turf war drugs, murders, and separate the columns of justified self defense shootings and actions by police.
Per bureau of justice report 2015
930 per year, or 1240 if assuming that nonreporting local agencies kill people at the same rate as reporting agencies.

So let's look at the numbers again
11,019 deaths minus 930= 10,089
11,019 deaths minus 1240= 9,779

Of the remaining 10,089 or of the 9,779 how many of these remaining deaths were committed by the hands of criminals, and how many were committed by the hands of a justified law abiding gun owner?

I'm not taking away or discrediting what happened. The statistics show you are more at risk of being killed in a car accident or at the hands of a drunk driver, that a homicidal maniac...
So when you push for AR15 bans in vain of tragedy or anything pertaining to them... it's usually hop on board the fear mongering train...

I don't know that anyone has ever stated that AR15 deaths top the list. I guess your argument is that since they don't, lets not worry about them. This is sort of like arguing we shouldn't have worried about a cure for rabies, since rabies was never a leading cause of death.

Your "logic" is always good for a laugh. "Hey, its not the worst thing in the world, so why worry about it?".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
There it is again, drawing a conclusive multiple AR = loon that snaps. How many ARS did the Sandy hook shooter have/use? Or the Aurora shooter?

You just ruined your whole argument.

* sigh*

Dealing with you is like talking to a slow child . When you can find that I say that it automatically equals a loon, please do so. Until then, you are becoming nothing but a desperate guy forced to invent lies to try and make a point.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:16 PM

109 posts, read 66,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
We can thank the power of the NRA who sponsor so many republican lawmakers.
Peruse OpenSecrets and you'll see just how little money and influence the NRA really has over the GOP. Pales in comparison to the hundreds of millions Hollywwod , Planned Parenthood, and various other special interest groups donate to the Democrats.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:19 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I don't know that anyone has ever stated that AR15 deaths top the list. I guess your argument is that since they don't, lets not worry about them. This is sort of like arguing we shouldn't have worried about a cure for rabies, since rabies was never a leading cause of death.

Your "logic" is always good for a laugh. "Hey, its not the worst thing in the world, so why worry about it?".
My logic is very basic to understand.

There are far more ways to wind up dead. Pandoras box gets opened to ban regulate legislate in vain of tragedy, we wind up with an intrusive way of life.

Could slip and fall and die in the shower. Does that mean I don't practice personal hygiene? Could drown in my swimming pool. Does that keep me from diving in and swimming?
Could get mowed down by a retiree in a Buick. Does that stop me from walking in a cross walk?
Could get T boned by a retiree in a Buick. Does that stop me from driving to where I want to go?
Could parachute out of an airplane and the chute fail to open. Would that stop me from doing it at least once?
Could be driving home and have a drunk hit me head on. Does that stop me from riding my Harley or driving my trucks?

Ban regulate and legislate. You're proposing a training wheel personal bubble and padded floors and walls...
No thanks. I'll take my chances and continue to live without fear...

Old 10-07-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
My logic is very basic to understand.

There are far more ways to wind up dead. Pandoras box gets opened to ban regulate legislate in vain of tragedy, we wind up with an intrusive way of life.

Could slip and fall and die in the shower. Does that mean I don't practice personal hygiene? Could drown in my swimming pool. Does that keep me from diving in and swimming?
Could get mowed down by a retiree in a Buick. Does that stop me from walking in a cross walk?
Could get T boned by a retiree in a Buick. Does that stop me from driving to where I want to go?
Could parachute out of an airplane and the chute fail to open. Would that stop me from doing it at least once?
Could be driving home and have a drunk hit me head on. Does that stop me from riding my Harley or driving my trucks?

Ban regulate and legislate. You're proposing a training wheel personal bubble and padded floors and walls...
No thanks. I'll take my chances and continue to live without fear...

LOL.

There are lots of ways to die, some of which involve people making decisions to put themselves in harms way, even if miniscule ( driving), some unavoidable (illness). Sending your kid to school to be shot by a crazy, or taking your girlfriend to a concert to have the same thing happen shouldn't be one of them.

Its a strange world that regards getting gunned down by a crazy as a normal part of life to be put up with so some weekend wannabee's can have fun on the range shooting cans and pretending they are warriors of some sort.

But its the new reality, courtesy of the NRA and the gun nutters.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:44 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
LOL. Hardly. There are lots of ways to die, some of which involve people making decisions to put themselves in harms way, even if miniscule, some unavoidable. Sending your kid to school to be shot by a crazy, or taking your girlfriend to a concert to have the same thing happen shouldn't be one of them.

Its a strange world that regards getting gunned down by a crazy as a normal part of life to be put up with so some weekend wannabee's can have fun on the range shooting cans and pretending they are warriors of some sort.

But its the new reality, courtesy of the NRA and the gun nutters.
Nobody said it was normal. Your petty attacks are amusing though.

Since I was in highschool following 9/11, we had lock down drills. They entailed, nearest to the windows, close the blinds, teacher sprints to lock the door, doors all had a huge pane of glass in them, and everyone lay on the floor face down.
Exceptions were for PE and shop class...
5-10 minutes later, wailing of police sirens were heard, then you'd hear boots out in the hall along with the occasional bark from a K9.

I asked my highschool teachers then, why not get a pistol permit and carry concealed to school and push for the state to allow it? What good are we laying on the floor like sitting ducks?! They bust the window out of the door... reach in unlock the door we're doomed! Your desk is adjacent to the door, see someone armed, yell to plug our ears and thwart the threat yourself. What good are you going to do unarmed? Chuck Norris spin kick them in the teeth?

My sophomore year of highschool they placed 2 state troopers in my highschool. They were armed. Guess they listened sort of... they called them Student Resource Officers SROs for short. They were quite the opportunists too. Wrote tickets in the student parking lot quite frequently...

Obviously a bank truck offers more incentive to a homicidal loon... so why aren't more of them knocked off? I wonder if having armed guards had anything to do with it

So if I had kids, knowing how scum of the earth seek out gun free zones and psychos seek out schools. I'd want my kids teachers to be able to be armed as they saw fit. Not of fear. Acknowledging the risk that exists, and being prepared for it. Would I home school and shelter them from reality? Heck no. Go out and live. Would I be sending them to school with a plate carrier and 3A plate and trauma pads? No. Be a kid! Not a bubble wrapped dork.

You really have quite the projection issue that I find amusing. Weekend warrior wanna be etc.

Again your use of projection and tirade is amusing

Old 10-07-2017, 05:31 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
The hysteria over gun violence is overblown and horribly misreported. Yes, every single time a senseless act of violence occurs, it's a bad thing. The USA is unique in two ways: Absolute freedom of speech and guaranteed right to bear arms. This changes the dynamics of things in the USA certainly, but matters are not nearly so dire as one might imagine.

Consider this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate
  • This presupposes that all of the nations listed are accurately reporting homicides. Do we believe the numbers North Korea and Cuba are reporting? Is it even possible to double-check their numbers?
  • This doesn't count government purges like China's mass arrest, massacre, organ harvesting, torture, etc of many millions of Falun Gong practitioners. (I guess it ain't murder if the government is the one doing it?)
  • This doesn't count things like honor killings or state sanctioned executions in the Muslim world for things like walking around without a veil or getting raped, etc.
  • Many nations are hopelessly incapable of reporting the actual numbers.
  • Countries with tiny populations and geographical size make for lousy comparisons to the USA.

With all of those caveats, there are still 93 nations with a higher homicide rate than the USA. The USA is one of the very few nations in the Western Hemisphere with a homicide rate under 10 per 100,000 annually. In fact we are well below that threshold, at 4.8. The numbers have been trending downwards consistently. There are countries like El Salvador with homicide rates more than 20 times higher than ours.

So sure it's true that the USA experiences more murders than we'd like to be seeing. But it is not nearly so dire as the gun control alarmists would have you believe. Our homicide rate is relatively low. We are most certainly not "the murder capital of the world" as they often like to claim. Many, many, many nations without legalized ownership of firearms out-murder the USA by a huge margin. Guns are not the root of the problem here in the USA.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:48 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The hysteria over gun violence is overblown and horribly misreported. Yes, every single time a senseless act of violence occurs, it's a bad thing. The USA is unique in two ways: Absolute freedom of speech and guaranteed right to bear arms. This changes the dynamics of things in the USA certainly, but matters are not nearly so dire as one might imagine.

Consider this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate
  • This presupposes that all of the nations listed are accurately reporting homicides. Do we believe the numbers North Korea and Cuba are reporting? Is it even possible to double-check their numbers?
  • This doesn't count government purges like China's mass arrest, massacre, organ harvesting, torture, etc of many millions of Falun Gong practitioners. (I guess it ain't murder if the government is the one doing it?)
  • This doesn't count things like honor killings or state sanctioned executions in the Muslim world for things like walking around without a veil or getting raped, etc.
  • Many nations are hopelessly incapable of reporting the actual numbers.
  • Countries with tiny populations and geographical size make for lousy comparisons to the USA.

With all of those caveats, there are still 93 nations with a higher homicide rate than the USA. The USA is one of the very few nations in the Western Hemisphere with a homicide rate under 10 per 100,000 annually. In fact we are well below that threshold, at 4.8. The numbers have been trending downwards consistently. There are countries like El Salvador with homicide rates more than 20 times higher than ours.

So sure it's true that the USA experiences more murders than we'd like to be seeing. But it is not nearly so dire as the gun control alarmists would have you believe. Our homicide rate is relatively low. We are most certainly not "the murder capital of the world" as they often like to claim. Many, many, many nations without legalized ownership of firearms out-murder the USA by a huge margin. Guns are not the root of the problem here in the USA.
If you wish to compare the USA the proper standard would be the OECD. You will not like the answer.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:33 PM

30,174 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Default Gun Control Solution: Ban All Guns from Movies - Video Games - TV Shows

I was watching the baseball playoffs and they were playing over and over a commercial promoting a new show with characters they called the new Bonnie and Clyde. Handguns were shown and shots fired a few times in the promo. It got me thinking.

For the whole liberal Hollywood group who wants massive gun control they have no problem making money off of movies that have gratuitous amounts of guns and shootings.

And people with firearms in movies are usually the bad guys or the good guys killing the bad guys. Always connected to violence.

In fact in 2015 the NY post determined that 93% of movies released that year had at least one shootout. 93%!

I think Hollywood and the video game industry bares some blame for some of the violence that occurs with firearms. Numerous studies have shown some correlation and I would assume impressionable persons like teenagers and people with mental health issues would be most susceptible. There is a psychological study called the weapons effect that addresses this.

I think if we are going to ban anything regarding guns lets ban the use of guns in movies, tv shows and video games. And ban showing any previously released media containing them. They can edit those scenes out and show the edited versions.

Lets have Hollywood put their money where their mouth is!

Old 10-07-2017, 07:20 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I was watching the baseball playoffs and they were playing over and over a commercial promoting a new show with characters they called the new Bonnie and Clyde. Handguns were shown and shots fired a few times in the promo. It got me thinking.

For the whole liberal Hollywood group who wants massive gun control they have no problem making money off of movies that have gratuitous amounts of guns and shootings.

And people with firearms in movies are usually the bad guys or the good guys killing the bad guys. Always connected to violence.

In fact in 2015 the NY post determined that 93% of movies released that year had at least one shootout. 93%!

I think Hollywood and the video game industry bares some blame for some of the violence that occurs with firearms. Numerous studies have shown some correlation and I would assume impressionable persons like teenagers and people with mental health issues would be most susceptible. There is a psychological study called the weapons effect that addresses this.

I think if we are going to ban anything regarding guns lets ban the use of guns in movies, tv shows and video games. And ban showing any previously released media containing them. They can edit those scenes out and show the edited versions.

Lets have Hollywood put their money where their mouth is!

I could agree with most of this. Only problem is I do love a good action movie.

I am reminded every day of a mistake that I made with a gun when I was in my early 20's; I got careless and wound up shooting part of two of my fingers off. I still shoot guns, but I have a much healthier respect for them.

I had people ask me afterwards, why I did not sue the gun manufacture; it was not their fault, I was the one that was careless.

I was also asked how I could still enjoy target shooting, after shooting off two of my fingers, and I responded, you can't hate a hammer, if you smash your thumb with one. And I can't hate a gun, because I got careless with it.

I was very lucky at that time, no one but me got hurt, and I was not hurt in a crippling way, and I did not die. I was young and dumb at the time.

Years later it is kind of cute to see the innocence of young children, when they would see my left hand and try and figure out why not all of my fingers are there. They would tell me to open up my hand all of the way, and I would indicate I am, the other parts are missing. They did not quite comprehend that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies