Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 09:42 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,071,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I wonder what the reaction would be if some boys wanted to join the Girl Scouts.
The Brady Bunch dealt with this situation when Peter became a Sunflower Girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djdr8utkagg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,803,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
The Brady Bunch dealt with this situation when Peter became a Sunflower Girl.
lmao omg I totally forgot about that episode.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Seems like allowing entire families to participate would be a good thing. I can easily see how a young outdoorsy minded teen girl could feel pretty left out when she finds out her brothers and dad are going on a whitewater rafting trip but she is not allowed to come.
It is a problem - I raised that "outdoorsy" and athletic girl who couldn't go to Philmont or to the Canadian Boundary waters or on 25 mile hikes and 25 mile bike rides. We camped as a family, but she missed out on a lot of activities (not to mention the mentoring and Leadership training) that her brother had.

A lot of families might like to go on camping trips, but have no experience - doing it in a group setting will be a great opportunity for learning and exploring new activities away from a TV or connected devise.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:55 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
LOL. I hate popcorn sales. Citrus sales for our boy scout troop isn't much better. But thanks for the reminder that our orders have to be in tomorrow.
My memory is that we finally settled on Organic Fertilizer for our funder - everyone can use a bag or 2 of fertilizer. The biggest issue was getting it delivered.

For those of you involved in Leadership of Packs now - I instituted a 3 person leadership team for all positions in the Pack to spread the volunteer force. It was based on age groups within the Pack - spread the work and the knowledge base. It worked great and we always had plenty of volunteers when people knew they would not be individually responsible.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
hahaha! don't worry you don't have to let her join.

also, it appears that where there is camping at the cubscout level, leadership will be required to be both male and female.

as a cub scout leader, we camp in a family setting. so there are moms and dads all over the place as well as little sisters.

now at the boy scout level, I am NOT going to take 12 to 14 or 15 year old co-ed groups into the woods. aint gonna happen. we will see what the program looks like (wont be out until next year)

but at the CS level, the direction is Packs will have the option to go co-ed, or set up separate Packs for girls. withing co-ed packs, the den level (where instruction mostly occurs) it will be single gender dens.

I'm hoping they'll have the same options at the Boy Scout level. As thrilled as I am about having my daughter involved, I'll be advocating for our troop (not necessarily pack) to remain all-boy if given the choice.

I've been hearing that some are worried about being able to recruit enough adult leaders for a second pack (or troop), but imho that will mean it's put-up or shut-up time. For all the parents out there who have wanted the same program for their daughters... step up. If you want it, make it happen. I'm on board, and I've already spoken to two other parents who are raring to go.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
is this Cubscout family camps or are these regular Boy Scout weekend campouts?
Cub Scouts now. Like I said, when scouts go on camp outs without direct adult supervision, they should segregate them.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 AM

20,464 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Cub Scouts now. Like I said, when scouts go on camp outs without direct adult supervision, they should segregate them.
we are on the same page. just wondering what age group you were taking about.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:13 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
the girls scouts are not happy campers..

Girl Scouts slam Boy Scouts' decision to accept girls: 'The Boy Scouts' house is on fire' - ABC News

Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 AM

20,464 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I'm hoping they'll have the same options at the Boy Scout level. As thrilled as I am about having my daughter involved, I'll be advocating for our troop (not necessarily pack) to remain all-boy if given the choice.

I've been hearing that some are worried about being able to recruit enough adult leaders for a second pack (or troop), but imho that will mean it's put-up or shut-up time. For all the parents out there who have wanted the same program for their daughters... step up. If you want it, make it happen. I'm on board, and I've already spoken to two other parents who are raring to go.
i only have boys but i am good with this. I know a good number of Scouters that have daughters just dying to get into venturing. this is going to help and honestly if we can keep BSA progams as they are (by that i mean the focus on leadership and the requirements that exist now) then this is a good thing. we just have to be sure they know it.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:15 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Boy scouts do cooler stuff than girl scouts.

Source: I was in boy scouts and my wife was in girl scouts.

I had trips with kayaking, rafting, hiking, camping, wilderness survival, archery, etc...
Her groups made bracelets at camp and sold cookies.
Then why don't the girls and their parents get involved and make the Girl Scouts a better organization that does those things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies