Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that conversion therapy can make a gay person straight?
Yes, the power of prayer combined with Christian counseling can make a gay person straight 16 10.81%
No, sexual orientation is unchangeable and conversion therapy is ineffective at best and dangerous at worst 132 89.19%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 01:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Just like your rear end was not made for unseemly things.
But we were talking about what's possible/impossible, not what's seemly.

Anal sex is obviously completely possible. Humans using their forelimbs to fly as birds and bats do is, simply, impossible. Seemliness has nothing to do with it in either case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 01:47 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
You do realize that not all gay people do anal sex and there are some straight people who do? Seriously, fundamentalist homophobes talk about gay sex acts and the gritty details in public far more than actual gay people do.
You're deflecting. Rock Hudson acted like a real man, not a flaming sissy. . but he engaged in homosexuality. Choice plays a part.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:49 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'm curious where you're hearing this. What I most often hear is the pragmatic advice. Yes, out and proud is great but don't compromise your access to food and shelter just to come out.
Universities "safe spaces", various lgbt conventions, and most gay people I talk to. When I tell them I stayed in the closet at work before this year, they almost scold at me. To me, survival trumps everything else, especially when most of the corporate world is still controlled by religious zealots.

Here's another one for ya. Self righteous liberals always tell me to be out and proud as a positive example example. I don't exist to be an example of anything. Why can't people understand this?

Old 11-08-2017, 01:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
You're deflecting. Rock Hudson acted like a real man, not a flaming sissy. . but he engaged in homosexuality. Choice plays a part.
So you think all male homosexuals are "flaming sissies"? And that a homosexual man who doesn't seem like a "flaming sissy" is actually not a homosexual, but making a choice? Oh my. No wonder you seem so out-of-touch on this topic.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:54 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
So you think all male homosexuals are "flaming sissies"? And that a homosexual man who doesn't seem like a "flaming sissy" is actually not a homosexual, but making a choice? Oh my. No wonder you seem so out-of-touch on this topic.
Pretty good example of "glass under tension" i mentioned earlier.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:56 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Ultimately, no you cannot pray the gay away.
If only the fundamentalists, many of which have never known or attempted to understand anybody who is gay, could be convinced of this. Fundies act like they are the experts on homosexuality and they have the cure, yet they don't know a thing about it and have never gotten to know a gay person. They have never attempted to see things through their eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Universities "safe spaces", various lgbt conventions, and most gay people I talk to. When I tell them I stayed in the closet at work before this year, they almost scold at me. To me, survival trumps everything else, especially when most of the corporate world is still controlled by religious zealots.

Here's another one for ya. Self righteous liberals always tell me to be out and proud as a positive example example. I don't exist to be an example of anything. Why can't people understand this?
I fully get where you are coming from. I am only out to a few close friends and online. In most aspects of my life I am still in the closet. I live in Oklahoma, the buckle of the fundamentalist Bible Belt. Being "out and proud" here carries far more risks than it does benefits.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:28 PM

9,726 posts, read 14,271,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You didn't ask me, but.......Me, too! I love being out-of-touch vs. the alternative. No wonder the psychiatrists are making so much money!

Old 11-08-2017, 02:38 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

I don't know. I almost always vote for liberal candidates but as a straight religious woman (not Christian), I don't feel that gay people owe society anything. There's no requirement with me to fulfill gay stereotypes. I really don't care whether someone is gay or not. And you certainly don't have to be an example of anything for anyone. You don't owe anyone anything. Do you, and do it in a way that makes you feel safe, secure, happy, and fulfilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Good to hear she was able to recover. That gives me hope as I seriously wonder about my ability to actually have a relationship (I want one someday). I would say that I lost a decade of my life when you consider not just the conversion therapy but the years in which I was an emotional and mental train wreck because of it.
I hope you are able to move on from it. I think gay conversion therapy should be illegal.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:46 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
I think a person can learn to hide practically any trait. But, at the end of the day, there is absolutely no evidence that a person's sexuality can be changed and even when it is "changed" (as in the outward appearance and the inward fear of being true to him/herself), it's usually done with great harm to the person's mental state.

I have to say no. I am a heterosexual woman, I don't think I can ever find a woman sexually attractive. If I have to, I can have sex with a woman, but I have to close my eyes and fantasize a man.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:51 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think a person can learn to hide practically any trait. But, at the end of the day, there is absolutely no evidence that a person's sexuality can be changed and even when it is "changed" (as in the outward appearance and the inward fear of being true to him/herself), it's usually done with great harm to the person's mental state.
I agree with this. Gay conversion therapy "success stories" typically involve men who have suppressed their same-sex attraction and might even get involved in a heterosexual relationship. They might go as far as to get married and have children as that is something that is really pushed in ex-gay circles. At the end of the day though, they are still gay and this fact almost always comes roaring back later in life. Typically, even ex-gay "success stories" have to have accountability partners and have to confess and work through their same-sex struggle and all the shame and condemnation surrounding it their entire lives and it's miserable. Gosh, it's miserable. I know. This has been my life for the past seven years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies