Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2017, 01:57 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The title of this thread is WRONG. No one ever claimed RAPE. She says he groped her.

I remember a girl in 8th grade who smoked, wore a face full of makeup, had bleached 'trashy' hair, dressed in short skirts and tight sweaters. She had a grown woman's figure. Certainly didn't act or speak like a kid. She dated young soldiers at the local army post. I doubt any of those guys would have guessed she was only 14.

Kids back then were more mature than today's coddled ones with extended childhoods. Forty years ago most girls just wanted to get married to leave home.
Forty years ago girls wanted to go to college, they wanted careers. They didn't just want to get married to leave home.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:57 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
My great-great Aunt was 16 when she married a 36 year old widower. They were by all accounts happily married until his death.

Time frame matters.

If a 14 year old accuses a 30 something man of rape a few decades ago that is a different kettle of fish, especially if she told others of her rape and other girls had similar stories about this man. I would believe her.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:58 PM

934 posts, read 403,305 times
And btw. these fundamentalists defending each others should be voted out of their offices. Or given a sack, whatever works for their positions. But I'm afraid it may be too much to hope for, now when the people are so divided. Some may defend them only bcs they are the same party. (Which is also inexcusable in my book. Unfortunately, I have seen similar situations - fundamentalists coming out of woodwork and assuming influential positions. Then coming out public with their abysmal views. You may say they knew about them in Alabama before. But now they are getting "famous" nationwide. This is a bad sign too, I'm sorry to say. )

Old 11-10-2017, 02:03 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,227,705 times
When people finish their trudge through the cycle of drama spins and turn, the fact is... this guy should not ascend to a higher position, and the censure that shall serve as prohibiting him taking any higher national office is to be the result.

Then the subject needs to address the broader aspect of sex and youth, and gender and sex and the many matters within that scenario.. which needs to become public concerns to address.
We are a society that has much which needs update and clarity to address reality.

Especially when it comes to reality within and of sex and personal responsibility and how to deal with youth and sex and accountability elements as in "penalty".

There is NO "generic innocence" and we need to stop playing fiction games trying to pretend there is.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:05 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Forty years ago girls wanted to go to college, they wanted careers. They didn't just want to get married to leave home.
Truth. Forty years ago I was 13 going on 14. I was definitely on a track for college and a career. I think the poster really means something like 80 years ago.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My great-great Aunt was 16 when she married a 36 year old widower. They were by all accounts happily married until his death.

Time frame matters.

If a 14 year old accuses a 30 something man of rape a few decades ago that is a different kettle of fish, especially if she told others of her rape and other girls had similar stories about this man. I would believe her.
I agree, texan, the time frame is the issue here.

Back in the early 1900s in rural Alabama, nobody would've batted an eye over this sort of thing. It would've been encouraged, even if the girl didn't want to be married off to an older man, because people needed to ensure that their daughters had a means of support (especially if the family was not wealthy). It was pretty common to take a very young wife if your first wife (who was usually closer to your age) had died and you had kids that needed a mother and you might want more kids.

But, the world changed a lot between the early 1900s and the 1980s/1990s. That sort of thing just wasn't okay.

Especially not for a district attorney to be propositioning a 14yo girl.

I'd have slapped the teeth out of his mouth if he'd gotten anywhere near my daughter.

Pervert.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
And btw. these fundamentalists defending each others should be voted out of their offices. Or given a sack, whatever works for their positions. But I'm afraid it may be too much to hope for, now when the people are so divided. Some may defend them only bcs they are the same party. (Which is also inexcusable in my book. Unfortunately, I have seen similar situations - fundamentalists coming out of woodwork and assuming influential positions. Then coming out public with their abysmal views. You may say they knew about them in Alabama before. But now they are getting "famous" nationwide. This is a bad sign too, I'm sorry to say. )
Yeah... I wouldn't pee on Mitch McConnell if he was on fire, but he's becoming one of the moral pillars of the Republican party. That's not good.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:09 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Everyone's maturity level is different. Kids today generally have extended childhoods. So some men who still live at home are probably less emotionally mature than an 18 yr. old who works and has her own apartment.

You know Mrs Fields Cookies? Debbi Fields was a gorgeous teenager who liked to bake when she married a businessman in his thirties. His friends thought he was having a midlife crisis and that she was a bimbo. They went on to have five kids while she built a baking empire. Over twenty years later they divorced.

I'm a strong believer in Fate.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:11 PM

5,112 posts, read 2,054,389 times
Styxhexenhammer666 talk of Roy Moore along with Louis CK, Steven Segal and Charlie Sheen in his recent vlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F19s7qIbjZQ

Meanwhile, Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski win 4rd term despite charges but that'll be a subject for another thread. Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski wins fourth term despite charges - The Morning Call

Old 11-10-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I believe in innocence until proven guilty. I also believe there should be at least a charge or indictment before you start placing any sanctions.

Destroying lives over just allegations isn't very American.
What's so destructive about sitting out some lacrosse games if you're accused of gang rape?

If they were guilty, would you want them in class or on campus with your daughter? I mean, assuming you have any.

I know I wouldn't.

They were young guys. Taking a break from school to get a trial out of the way wasn't going to RUIN their lives if they were exonerated. Hell, even if they were not exonerated. I feel like they had plenty of time to turn their lives around if they were guilty.

As it is, the thing I hate most about the Duke case is that that woman made it even harder for other women on Duke's campus who WERE raped to speak out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies