Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 09:58 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

After that there was an avalanche of accusations levelled at other TV and radio presenters and comedians and the like from women who said they had been sexually abused by these people. There were some surprises and some people the public wouldn't have been the least bit surprised about.
An enquiry was opened to investigate all the allegations named 'operation Yewtree'.
Many men were investigated and tried and sent to jail, many others were declared not guilty.

You can read about it the whole thing here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Yewtree
Operation Yewtree was discussed in David Blaine Accused of Rape. The length of time makes many of these accusations hard to defend. If the abuser is dead he can't defend himself. And after 30 years it may be almost as hard to locate witnesses or other physical evidence. How do you for example get a hold of exonerating evidence such as semen-less clothes or hotel linens?

Or do we have to assume the charges are true because of the gender of the accuser?

Old 11-11-2017, 10:01 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Despite the fact that you hate Trump not all threads are about him.

What do you mean? You always have the option of having a meeting in a public place, not alone in someone's room. It all starts with your mother telling you "don't talk to strangers."

When they were "molested" they may have been starstruck. They may have "decided" they were abused after listening to the drumbeat of news.

Don't you ever, ever blame the victim. This is why they don't come forward because of people like you.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
It's never been much of a secret that Hollywood (and their entertainment industry) is a dirty, filthy cesspool of shame and hypocrisy.

It's about time that place collapsed in on itself, and the best thing about it is that since Hollywood has also lost it's monopoly on entertainment, we don't loose anything in the process.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:04 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's never been much of a secret that Hollywood (and their entertainment industry) is a dirty, filthy cesspool of shame and hypocrisy.

It's about time that place collapsed in on itself, and the best thing about it is that since Hollywood has also lost it's monopoly on entertainment, we don't loose anything in the process.
What do you have to say about corporations and every other business who does this. You know it's not only Hollywood don't you.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:07 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I just read the accusers description of her conversation with Moore. Much too detailed. Tell me, do you remember a conversation word for word to anyone forty years ago.? This girl gives word for word the conversation. Too detailed. Not credible. Do you remember details so complex from 40 years ago? I don't.
I do, in many cases. I remember an argument I had with my best friend somewhere in the mid-70's as to whether Boston or New York was a better city. In fact, I've often thought if I sat down and thought hard enough, I could remember some pretty detailed stuff from many many years ago. If you asked to me to write down everything I can remember from, say, the 5th grade (which for me would have been 1974-75), I could probably fill 10 pages or so of recollections.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:11 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What do you have to say about corporations and every other business who does this. You know it's not only Hollywood don't you.
One busness arena at a time, we can't have it all I guess.

Hollywood is just interesting because it's a relatively small and insular "club" that was so full of itself that it's members actually believed they were the authors of American culture, not to mention entitled to do whatever the hell they wanted. It's a hard bunch to feel sorry for.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:16 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Wapo isn't gonna publish this without going through stringent steps of confirmation. This report is credible.

Just how do you propose that they were able to confirm something that happened close to 40 years ago? When so far all there is is he said, she said.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:18 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
You can't forget George Takei (Oh My!)

Old 11-11-2017, 10:19 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I just read the accusers description of her conversation with Moore. Much too detailed. Tell me, do you remember a conversation word for word to anyone forty years ago.? This girl gives word for word the conversation. Too detailed. Not credible. Do you remember details so complex from 40 years ago? I don't.
Complete BS. No one ever forgets a serious childhood sexual encounter, especially one that's as bad as this.

Ask any adult about their first innocent teen kiss, and you'll get the story, as clear as if it just happened. And there was nothing complex in the woman's account at all. Ask about a sexual event that was a fundamental shock to the system, and the answers well be even more specific and clearer.

The events were very linear, very simple, and very disturbing.

She didn't have to remember the conversations word for word. But if needed, she could probably still recall most of what was said. It wasn't the talk that has Moore in poo up to his eyeballs, anyway. It was his actions.

Try harder next time. This was a pathetic attempt at deflection.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:19 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Harvey Weinstein, Louis C.K., Roy Moore, Steven Seagal, Brett Ratner, Kevin Spacey (link to article), the beat goes on. Before that there was Bill Cosby and Rolf Harris. See also David Blaine Accused of Rape. My take on these allegations is a little different. Everyone knew that these people in Hollywood or for that matter on Capitol Hill were no saints. Back in 1974 we thrilled to Wilbur Mills and Fanne Fox | The Big Picture | Arkansas news.

Any adult with an ounce of sense knows never to be alone with strangers. Meetings should be in public places and/or with other people present. Suddenly we're hearing all kinds of allegations of "abuse," some dating back to the year of Reagan's inauguration. One wonders whether people suddenly feel a sense of grievance about ancient events. Or perhaps some of it is greed; or to get their "five minutes of fame."

I do not condone pedophilia. Thus Hastert and the Penn State coach, whose name escapes me, are different. All that I am asking is how real this abuse really was. Did people at the time relish their moment in the sun with very wealthy and famous people and come to regret it? I don't think these kinds of events are new.

Since we treat women as children in this country (the west for that matter), I'm not sure why you draw such a distinct line between pedophilia and sexual harassment of adult women.

If it didn't bother these women to be felt-up by a pervert movie director when they were cheating other women (men) out of the break of a lifetime, then they aren't coming forward in an attempt to deal with the trauma decades later.

That's bull ****!

Sure, they'll write a book, go in Oprah, deposit a little teary mascara on the couch and collect their huge settlement because there has always been a huge portion of the adult population that can't get their heads around the concept of a someone lying for money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies