Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 01:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Let's face it, the 2nd amendment needs to be rewritten.

You have a right to defend yourself with a musket, maybe a handgun. But you don't have right to carry technology made specifically for the easy mass murder of other human beings. You just don't.

Human lives are more important than your hobby collection.

Who says I don't? War has been declared against you and you refuse to arm yourself.... Good Luck!
I'm glad you cannot think for me and make it stick.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:43 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
They never even had a chance because they were unarmed.

Americans are NOT unarmed. Yes an actual all-out war would be an absolute bloodbath and civilians would fare far worse... but that fact is why it will never happen as long as Americans are armed. The cost of trying to impose totalitarian rule on America would be more than either side could bear. It's Mutually Assured Destruction in action... the EXACT reason why the Second Amendment even exists.
You're kidding yourself, Chango. People would go meekly along after a few hundred were killed. We'd be like Norwegians in 1940.

Banning AR-15s is not citizen disarmament. Shotguns, .22s, handguns aren't "fine" but they're not the weapons of choice for child killers, either.

AR-15s are.

At least lets make it harder for them. Let's not be accomplices in their murder sprees.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Let's face it, the 2nd amendment needs to be rewritten.
Good luck. 2/3 of both houses and then 38 states ratifying...tall order, considering half the country vehemently opposes the concept in question.

And once it gets rewritten, are you also going to rewrite the 4th and 5th Amendments to legalize the door to door theft that will be required to make the now illegal weapons actually disappear?
Quote:
You have a right to defend yourself with a musket, maybe a handgun. But you don't have right to carry technology made specifically for the easy mass murder of other human beings. You just don't.
You might want to read the Federalist Papers, Anti-Federalist Papers and the writings of the Founding Fathers more closely. They make clear what their intent was on specifically protecting an armed populace, and the citizen possessing weapons equal to the those carried by an agent of an opposing force, foreign OR DOMESTIC was absolutely clear and a baked in feature. That's why they did not list a specific type of arm in the Amendment. It was assumed "arms" was whatever an enemy would be using against you.

And we already screwed that up with the automatic weapons ban, since the agents of our domestic tyrants are much better armed than the increasingly helpless citizenry.
Quote:
Human lives are more important than your hobby collection.
My hobby collection has never once harmed a single living soul. Who are you to take away my rights when they have never harmed another person?

Old 02-16-2018, 01:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Ok, here's one.

Fort Knox has all our gold protected with armed guards.

Yet we don't have or even allow that protection around our schools, which houses something even more precious than our gold. I propose a law that requires a certain percentage of the staff of schools be carrying a firearm and be trained on its safety and use.

That does not infringe on anyone's rights except those of the school shooter's.
Some private and public schools have one or more of the following:

Single Point of Entry

Penetration- Resistant Doors and Glass

Metal Detectors

Wand Scans

Facial Recognition Scans/ Cameras

Surveilience Cameras

Bomb and Drug- Sniffing Dogs

Not So " Random" Locker Searches

Armed Resource ( Police) Officers, inside and outside the school.

All depends on the percieved degree of risk or focus on prevention and the willingness of tax payers or in the case of a private school, parents willing to pay more.

The latest school shooting will likely have many states expecting Federal Givernment to kick in $.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:45 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Have you all noticed that when a liberal loses the argument against one of his cherished delusions, he starts examining the sexual organs of his opponents?

It's been going on for years, as they lose debate after debate.

Sick people.
First of all, I have no delusions. That comes from you guys, who think owning an AR-15 or an assault rifle is your God given right, but healthcare for the people killed/injured by them isn't. I am also not examining anyone's sexual organs. Have you never heard the phrase "swing your **** around" before? Really? It actually has nothing to do with ****. It is a phrase, often used here in the south.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:46 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
My emotions? My emotions have nothing to do with being smart enough to realize that certain weapons have no practical purpose. It takes no emotion whatsoever to realize that people who vehemently fight to keep their assault rifles don't do so for the purpose of protection, or anything of the sort. They do it so they can keep feeling like they are a bada** and so they can swing their **** around in front of their buddies. They have no other practical use, therefore there is no need for regular civilians to have them. I am a gun owner. So is my husband. We do not "fear" guns.
I appreciate that you, and your husband are gun owners. However, your characterization of people that own AR-15's for sport, and home defense is just plain wrong, insulting, and a bit disturbing. If you come to my gun club you will see men, and women target shooting AR-15's and other semi auto rifles in competition, and just for the satisfaction of firing an accurate rifle. Nobody is trying to be a bad***, and certainly nobody is swinging body parts around, especially the women. lol!

I don't understand the problem with owning, and using a semi auto rifle for target shooting, hunting, and home defense. I personally only use mine for sporting purposes, as I have other firearms I prefer for home defense. My go to HD pistol is a full size 9MM semi auto, but I also have an old WWII M1 Carbine which accepts 15, 20, and 30 round magazines, and operates similarly to an AR, or any other semi auto rifle. Being older, and having a wooden stock the M1 just may not look as scary to you. Is it OK for me to keep my M1? How about a Ruger Mini 14?

Old 02-16-2018, 01:47 PM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
No, I don't believe it would stop them completely. I have acknowledge above that I misspoke regarding that. Nothing will stop them altogether. However, there are a lot of things we could do that would lessen the damage, or make it less likely. You guys are against them all.
Maybe, might, could, perhaps... this is nothing measurable. It's crystal ball stuff. The previous AW ban proved it didn't work, as in, made no difference in crime.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:48 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Have you read the Brady bill? It found that the AR 15 was good for home defense.
I never read that,maybe you have the link?

Old 02-16-2018, 01:52 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
You're kidding yourself, Chango. People would go meekly along after a few hundred were killed. We'd be like Norwegians in 1940.

Banning AR-15s is not citizen disarmament. Shotguns, .22s, handguns aren't "fine" but they're not the weapons of choice for child killers, either.

AR-15s are.

At least lets make it harder for them. Let's not be accomplices in their murder sprees.
I won't go meekly. Nor will I give into to mass media terrorism and live in fear of a category of guns that is responsible for only a tiny minority of gun crime deaths.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/s...apon-myth.html

It still wouldn't work, but if anti-gun people were serious about trying to lower deaths by gun and making the world a safer place, they'd be trying to ban and round up handguns.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:52 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
People didn't get shot like this when you could buy a Tommy Gun at the hardware store.
Something has changed and it ain't guns.
I don't remember hardware stores carrying Tommy Guns but I'm sure you can find one. The fire power in the hands of many citizens is quite different today, sure people had guns but not like this.

What exactly changed in our country that hasn't occurred in others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies