Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 01:25 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
30 million Jews died for the lack of a Second Amendment.

3 million Cambodians died for lack of a Second Amendment.

As many as 50 million people died under Stalin for lack of a 2nd Amendment.

Millions and millions more have and continue to be killed in China, North Korea, various Latin American and African countries because they have no Second Amendment.

And don't tell me it can't happen here. Remember the big to do about "The Memo"? Right now our government has a functioning Secret Court and it has been revealed that our Government has been using it for nefarious ends. Name an "alphabet soup" federal agency that hasn't been guilty of a scandal or three in the past 40 years. The price is high but the price of not having a Second Amendment is far higher.
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Chango again."

Old 02-16-2018, 01:29 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Guns have always been around...... before a decade ago.. nobody ever gave a 2nd thought to school shootings as there weren't any..

What changed in the last decade.....? Answer that question and fix the problem.

Guns and their availability were around before school shootings were prevalent and it was even easier to get a gun as compared to now......

What changed...... fix THAT... not the gun.. its not the problem

They didn't have this fake made up thing called ADHD or ADD to put kids on high powered narcotics, then take good and god out of their lives and tell them everyone is bad, especially them.
SSRI's

Old 02-16-2018, 01:29 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
30 million Jews died for the lack of a Second Amendment.

3 million Cambodians died for lack of a Second Amendment.

As many as 50 million people died under Stalin for lack of a 2nd Amendment.

Millions and millions more have and continue to be killed in China, North Korea, various Latin American and African countries because they have no Second Amendment.

And don't tell me it can't happen here. Remember the big to do about "The Memo"? Right now our government has a functioning Secret Court and it has been revealed that our Government has been using it for nefarious ends. Name an "alphabet soup" federal agency that hasn't been guilty of a scandal or three in the past 40 years. The price is high but the price of not having a Second Amendment is far higher.
Really? Shopkeepers, musicians defeating the SS? Peasants beating the Khmer Rouge? Warsaw not withstanding, this is the stuff of fantasy.

Even big-talking, red-blooded Americans would run for the hills at the first sight of an Abrams tank.

Government power is a nightmare. We accepted this for the 16th amendment. It has nothing whatever to do with gun control in any imaginable situation. In fact it's one of the NRA favorite diversions.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:33 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,829 times
Let's face it, the 2nd amendment needs to be rewritten.

You have a right to defend yourself with a musket, maybe a handgun. But you don't have right to carry technology made specifically for the easy mass murder of other human beings. You just don't.

Human lives are more important than your hobby collection.

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Your emotions are effecting your rationality.

I have the right to own a nuke. Now, do I have what it takes and the desire to make it, or buy it already made. That is my only restrictions if I want it bad enough.
My emotions? My emotions have nothing to do with being smart enough to realize that certain weapons have no practical purpose. It takes no emotion whatsoever to realize that people who vehemently fight to keep their assault rifles don't do so for the purpose of protection, or anything of the sort. They do it so they can keep feeling like they are a bada** and so they can swing their **** around in front of their buddies. They have no other practical use, therefore there is no need for regular civilians to have them. I am a gun owner. So is my husband. We do not "fear" guns.

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Really? Shopkeepers, musicians defeating the SS? Peasants beating the Khmer Rouge? Warsaw not withstanding, this is the stuff of fantasy.

Even big-talking, red-blooded Americans would run for the hills at the first sight of an Abrams tank.

Government power is a nightmare. We accepted this for the 16th amendment. It has nothing whatever to do with gun control in any imaginable situation. In fact it's one of the NRA favorite diversions.
They never even had a chance because they were unarmed.

Americans are NOT unarmed. Yes an actual all-out war would be an absolute bloodbath and civilians would fare far worse... but that fact is why it will never happen as long as Americans are armed. The cost of trying to impose totalitarian rule on America would be more than either side could bear. It's Mutually Assured Destruction in action... the EXACT reason why the Second Amendment even exists.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Giving up semiautomatic rifles wouldn't stop school shootings though, that's the point.

Background checks already exist, and Cruz passed the one he was subjected to when he legally purchased a rifle, and even under the more "stringent" version people bandy about, he would have still passed.

Safety course would probably have made him a better marksman, and he didn't kill 17 people because he was irresponsible about his gun safety. He was specifically using a rifle to commit murder, and given how he operated his weapon without harming himself, he has personal safety figured out.

And yeah, pistols and hunting rifles are absolutely capable of the same thing. My 9mm can hold 15 rounds in each magazine, and my bullets are jacketed hollow points slightly more than twice as heavy as a standard 5.56NATO round. Feel free to watch any ballistics gel test on 124/135/147gr +P 9mm ammunition. 11-13 inches of penetration plus expansion and fragmenting = bad day for anyone taking that hit. Solid accuracy to 30-35 yards.

The bolt action hunting rifle, in the hands of a proper marksman, would allow kills out to 500 yards no problem. For what you pay for an AR-15, multiple magazines and like 180 rounds of ammo...you could buy a solid .308, decent scope, bipod and enough ammo to cause a lot of people to have a bad day.
I realize it wouldn't stop them completely. I may have misspoke a bit there. I apologize.

Are you really saying that you think he could have done this much damage with a pistol? A hunting rifle? What about Paddock? You really think he could have done as much damage using his hunting rifle? Please.

You also can't say he would have done as much damage from a distance, using a regular ole hunting rifle either. Come on man.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
The problem is people like you who apparently think that school shootings would stop if every AR15 on the planet suddenly vanished.
No, I don't believe it would stop them completely. I have acknowledge above that I misspoke regarding that. Nothing will stop them altogether. However, there are a lot of things we could do that would lessen the damage, or make it less likely. You guys are against them all.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Every law is a violation of your individual rights. (BTW: "individual rights" is a bit redundant because only individuals have rights...not collectives...even voluntary collectives get their rights from the individuals within them)

Contractual agreements between two parties free from duress with the cognitively ability to do so (the real definition of consent) is the only way to alter a right.

Well, that and if you infringe on the rights of another your rights then may become compromised too.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I'd suggest that you read Federalist Paper #46, Madison spells it out pretty clear on the right of citizens to bear arms. It's in paragraph 9
Well, I'm not pulling up the Federalist Paper at this very moment. No matter what it says though, the post I responded to was saying he should be able to own tanks and fighter planes.... Also, I am not in ANY way saying people shouldn't be able to own guns. I own guns. There should be a limit to what a private citizen should be able to get their hands on though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies