Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 02:25 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Drug abuse is world wide and although our education system is fairly average its no worse than other civilized countries. The increase in mass shootings have nothing to do with either, it's mental illness and guns.
Sorry, but you are wrong about education:

U.S. academic achievement lags that of many other countries | Pew Research Center

We are at the bottom of the list or below average for all OECD countries in math, science, and reading

and drugs:
https://www.blvdcenters.org/blog/top...cted-countries

We are in the top 8 for drug abuse

These two alone, and the combination of these things lead to violence, despair, poor life/work situations, and lots of other bad things. In comparison, the mere existence of a dangerous tool does not drive or create violence.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:26 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Noted, accepted.

The pistol would easily do the same thing. Absolutely. I can drop a magazine and reload my 9mm in around 1 second. 15 rounds per magazine, and jacketed hollow points are meant to cause max dmg and drop targets with 1-2 shots. That's why law enforcement carry them with that kind of ammo. ALICE pouches for my magazines cost $4-5 each, and a standard belt/suspenders rig could hold like 20 of them? Now, I do not own ALICE gear or such pouches, but they are not really tough to get hold of. Point being, holding 300+ rounds of serious wreck your day ammo in 15 round magazines is pretty easy to pull off.

Again, google up videos of what 9mm +P hollow points do in ballistic gel, through several layers of denim. Yeah, pistols can accomplish a great deal, especially in confined spaces versus huddled masses of people.

Different tactical scenario, but just as plausible. Ask Charles Whitman. He killed 16 people at ranges up to 400 yards with a bolt action Remington 700 in 6mm.
Sure, someone who is properly trained might, and I reiterate "might", be able to do as much damage with a pistol, sure. However, most of these mentally deranged asshats that shoot up large crowds of people aren't trained. Having a large magazine and just being able to pull pull pull the trigger over and over without having to stop and reload is much easier to do, especially when you are nervous and, you know, crazy as an outhouse rat. If he were to have had a pistol, every single time he had to reload would be another few seconds someone could have stopped him, or gotten away.

If it were you, sure, a lot of damage could probably be done. For most people though? Most bang for your time/ability is going to come from a large magazine rifle. Unfortunately, where we are at the moment in this country, there is nothing that will stop what is happening. Not until people are willing to do something about it. Whether that "something" has to do with guns or something else, like mental stability, is another question. If we could help people with mental issues starting from an early age, without putting their parents into thousands of dollars of debt, a lot of this nonsense could probably be avoided.

Also, Whitman was a marine or something right? Seems like I remember him being a decorated sharpshooter or something??? Not exactly the same league as Cruz.

Last edited by ImissThe90's; 02-16-2018 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: added about Whitman

Old 02-16-2018, 02:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
How is it disturbing? Even your post I am now responding to acknowledges that there is no practical use for the AR-15 other than shooting it at targets. Also, see my post above. My phrase was in no way meant literally... Guess I need to tone down the redneck in me...

Why would anyone use a semi-auto rifle for home defense??? A shottie or pistol would work much better.
Do you want one of these pistols? My next project scheduled for the Bridgeport. They will be for sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uzb0mr71AAk

Old 02-16-2018, 02:46 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
I don't remember hardware stores carrying Tommy Guns but I'm sure you can find one. The fire power in the hands of many citizens is quite different today, sure people had guns but not like this.

What exactly changed in our country that hasn't occurred in others.
Tommy guns? Thats interesting.

The last time I saw Tommy guns in actual use was at the Pentagon. The guards at the command centers (several basement levels down) were armed with those. Haven't thought about that in a long time.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:47 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
No, it is not an assault rifle. It is a semi-auto hunting rifle. An assault rifle must have select fire. See, you know nothing about guns, but you are against them.
Here is a list of weapons used in mass shootings from April of 1099 to January of 2013: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0057.htm. It is interesting because it looks as if more semi-automatic pistols were used than assault style weapons.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:50 PM

57,312 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Sorry, but you are wrong about education:

U.S. academic achievement lags that of many other countries | Pew Research Center

We are at the bottom of the list or below average for all OECD countries in math, science, and reading
from your article
Quote:
How do U.S. students compare with their peers around the world? Recently released data from international math and science assessments indicate that U.S. students continue to rank around the middle of the pack, and behind many other advanced industrial nations.

Quote:

and drugs:
https://www.blvdcenters.org/blog/top...cted-countries

We are in the top 8 for drug abuse
We do have a large problem with addiction to pain killers but that isn't the cause of mass shooting or violence in general. Crack Cocaine contributed to crime back in the 80's but not so much today.

Quote:
These two alone, and the combination of these things lead to violence, despair, poor life/work situations, and lots of other bad things. In comparison, the mere existence of a dangerous tool does not drive or create violence.

I don't see either of those separating us from other countries but we certainly have a greater proliferation of guns and military style weapons.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:50 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
No, I am just using the definition most commonly used by people talking about it. However, I will refrain from using the term "assault" rifle from now on. However, I personally know someone who turned their semi-auto AR-15 into a full auto. So I know they can be made into an assault rifle, and have seen it with my own eyes.

As to the rest of your post, you are mostly proving my point. Competitive matches and target shooting is nothing more than a hobby. Unless you compete for money I guess? And those people (and correct me if I am wrong here) most assuredly have gone through all of the proper channels, training, etc. My grandfather used to compete in all sorts of shooting contests, and won a decent amount of money and bragging rights doing so, and even he agrees that something has to change.
If somebody knows what they're doing, any semi-auto weapon can be changed to fire in full-auto mode, personally, I wouldn't want a fully auto AR-15, it's a waste of ammo, but it's a personal choice and it's not up to me to tell others what they should do with their AR-15s.

Competitive matches and shooting paper targets, along with loading my own ammo, is a hobby that I enjoy, as well as hunting, I'd like to have my AR-15 for those purposes, whether or not a particular weapon has a practical use should be up to the individual gun owner to decide.

I don't think it's right to make a very popular rifle/caliber guilty for the criminal actions of a few individuals, as others have said, it's not the gun, it's the person and the problem is the mental health of those people who have committed those crimes.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:53 PM

57,312 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
We should be able to buy fully autos like before the ban and any high caliber rifles like a Barrett M82.
I don't think you have to worry about a ban although hope springs eternal, not going to happen with a president that has $30M in NRA backing.

I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of one of those life necessities such as an AR15, that would be horrible.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:55 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
from your article

We do have a large problem with addiction to pain killers but that isn't the cause of mass shooting or violence in general. Crack Cocaine contributed to crime back in the 80's but not so much today.

I don't see either of those separating us from other countries but we certainly have a greater proliferation of guns and military style weapons.
Quote:
How do U.S. students compare with their peers around the world? Recently released data from international math and science assessments indicate that U.S. students continue to rank around the middle of the pack, and behind many other advanced industrial nations.
Look at the charts and read that again. We are "in the middle of the pack" in comparison to the entire world, meaning of course we are doing better than some 3rd world countries, but "behind MANY OTHER advanced industrial nations"

That does not speak well for our education system at all.

I guess we can just disagree about the drug issue.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is a list of weapons used in mass shootings from April of 1099 to January of 2013: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0057.htm. It is interesting because it looks as if more semi-automatic pistols were used than assault style weapons.
Bingo! Focusing upon the AR or derivatives is simply playing to a temporary audience.

A Glock 19 semi-auto and a sack full of spare mags will provide your garden-variety building-centric mass shooter all the firepower he needs to equal the damage already witnessed.

Far easier to conceal as well.

Eliminating ONE specific tool in a shed full of them will simply force other choices.

Start with the supposedly law abiding owners allowing access to those tools by all and sundrie in the household.

Your gun gets used to commit a violent crime better have been stolen from a secure safe or you're gonna get a flogging like no other with your stupid faces plastered all over the news. Start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies