Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 01:53 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
You're kidding yourself, Chango. People would go meekly along after a few hundred were killed. We'd be like Norwegians in 1940.

Banning AR-15s is not citizen disarmament. Shotguns, .22s, handguns aren't "fine" but they're not the weapons of choice for child killers, either.

AR-15s are.

At least lets make it harder for them. Let's not be accomplices in their murder sprees.
They will be once you succeed in banning the AR-15, and then we'll have this conversation again about "xxx" firearm instead of the AR-15.

Seriously, stop pretending that the problem is a chunk of plastic and metal. Start realizing that the problem lies with society and individuals that wish to harm others for their 15 minutes in the spotlight.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:54 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,974,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't remember hardware stores carrying Tommy Guns but I'm sure you can find one. The fire power in the hands of many citizens is quite different today, sure people had guns but not like this.

What exactly changed in our country that hasn't occurred in others.
Huge abuse of prescription drugs and a rampant failure of the public education system.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:56 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
My emotions? My emotions have nothing to do with being smart enough to realize that certain weapons have no practical purpose. It takes no emotion whatsoever to realize that people who vehemently fight to keep their assault rifles don't do so for the purpose of protection, or anything of the sort. They do it so they can keep feeling like they are a bada** and so they can swing their **** around in front of their buddies. They have no other practical use, therefore there is no need for regular civilians to have them. I am a gun owner. So is my husband. We do not "fear" guns.
It doesn't sound like you know too much about guns. The definition of an "assault rifle" is a fully automatic weapon that fires multiple rounds with one pull of the trigger. You need a special permit from the Feds to be able to own one.

AR-15s and other semi-automatic rifles have plenty of uses, maybe some you don't know about, they are used in various competitive matches. Many ranchers use them to protect themselves and their property against intruders and if I lived in a rural area I would use an AR-15 for such purpose, as well as recreational shooting.

I have an AR-15 and I enjoy the challenge of shooting paper targets 100-200 yards away to get the closest groups as possible.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:01 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I appreciate that you, and your husband are gun owners. However, your characterization of people that own AR-15's for sport, and home defense is just plain wrong, insulting, and a bit disturbing. If you come to my gun club you will see men, and women target shooting AR-15's and other semi auto rifles in competition, and just for the satisfaction of firing an accurate rifle. Nobody is trying to be a bad***, and certainly nobody is swinging body parts around, especially the women. lol!
How is it disturbing? Even your post I am now responding to acknowledges that there is no practical use for the AR-15 other than shooting it at targets. Also, see my post above. My phrase was in no way meant literally... Guess I need to tone down the redneck in me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't understand the problem with owning, and using a semi auto rifle for target shooting, hunting, and home defense. I personally only use mine for sporting purposes, as I have other firearms I prefer for home defense. My go to HD pistol is a full size 9MM semi auto, but I also have an old WWII M1 Carbine which accepts 15, 20, and 30 round magazines, and operates similarly to an AR, or any other semi auto rifle. Being older, and having a wooden stock the M1 just may not look as scary to you. Is it OK for me to keep my M1? How about a Ruger Mini 14?
Why would anyone use a semi-auto rifle for home defense??? A shottie or pistol would work much better. As for your older weapons, the same thing applies as far as my opinion goes. My opinion is not that really even that the guns themselves necessarily need to be banned, but if you are using a gun for hunting or protection, you would NEVER need one of those 20-30 round magazines.

Let's be honest here for a minute too. All we have is our opinion. You may think I am wrong, I may think you are wrong, but there isn't much either of us can do to change anything. It is nothing more than debate at this point, unless one of us decides to run for office and try to make changes that way. I, personally, will never call for taking your guns. That doesn't mean I don't think there should be some changes made to the laws though.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:09 PM

13,947 posts, read 5,619,580 times
Quote:
I realize it wouldn't stop them completely. I may have misspoke a bit there. I apologize.
Noted, accepted.
Quote:
Are you really saying that you think he could have done this much damage with a pistol? A hunting rifle? What about Paddock? You really think he could have done as much damage using his hunting rifle? Please.
The pistol would easily do the same thing. Absolutely. I can drop a magazine and reload my 9mm in around 1 second. 15 rounds per magazine, and jacketed hollow points are meant to cause max dmg and drop targets with 1-2 shots. That's why law enforcement carry them with that kind of ammo. ALICE pouches for my magazines cost $4-5 each, and a standard belt/suspenders rig could hold like 20 of them? Now, I do not own ALICE gear or such pouches, but they are not really tough to get hold of. Point being, holding 300+ rounds of serious wreck your day ammo in 15 round magazines is pretty easy to pull off.

Again, google up videos of what 9mm +P hollow points do in ballistic gel, through several layers of denim. Yeah, pistols can accomplish a great deal, especially in confined spaces versus huddled masses of people.
Quote:
You also can't say he would have done as much damage from a distance, using a regular ole hunting rifle either. Come on man.
Different tactical scenario, but just as plausible. Ask Charles Whitman. He killed 16 people at ranges up to 400 yards with a bolt action Remington 700 in 6mm.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Maybe, might, could, perhaps... this is nothing measurable. It's crystal ball stuff. The previous AW ban proved it didn't work, as in, made no difference in crime.
Everything starts out as "Maybe, might, could, perhaps" until changes are made, and results noted. So what's your point? As for the ban not working, you can find "evidence" from both sides. One cites "evidence" that it was effective, and the other cites "evidence" that it wasn't. There is no clear evidence, from what I have seen, and I have looked at both sides so-called "evidence", that says whether it was effective or not.

I am in an odd position personally. I have no problem with guns. I grew up shooting them, own them now, but see no purpose in a person owning an AR-15 (or similar weapon) with a 30 round or 60 round or 100 round magazine (which you can easily get from a quick glance at Google). In other words, for me anyways, it isn't necessarily the gun that is the problem, but the attachments and magazines you can get for them.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:10 PM

57,240 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Huge abuse of prescription drugs and a rampant failure of the public education system.
Drug abuse is world wide and although our education system is fairly average its no worse than other civilized countries. The increase in mass shootings have nothing to do with either, it's mental illness and guns.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:15 PM

736 posts, read 353,346 times
We should be able to buy fully autos like before the ban and any high caliber rifles like a Barrett M82.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
It doesn't sound like you know too much about guns. The definition of an "assault rifle" is a fully automatic weapon that fires multiple rounds with one pull of the trigger. You need a special permit from the Feds to be able to own one.

AR-15s and other semi-automatic rifles have plenty of uses, maybe some you don't know about, they are used in various competitive matches. Many ranchers use them to protect themselves and their property against intruders and if I lived in a rural area I would use an AR-15 for such purpose, as well as recreational shooting.

I have an AR-15 and I enjoy the challenge of shooting paper targets 100-200 yards away to get the closest groups as possible.
No, I am just using the definition most commonly used by people talking about it. However, I will refrain from using the term "assault" rifle from now on. However, I personally know someone who turned their semi-auto AR-15 into a full auto. So I know they can be made into an assault rifle, and have seen it with my own eyes.

As to the rest of your post, you are mostly proving my point. Competitive matches and target shooting is nothing more than a hobby. Unless you compete for money I guess? And those people (and correct me if I am wrong here) most assuredly have gone through all of the proper channels, training, etc. My grandfather used to compete in all sorts of shooting contests, and won a decent amount of money and bragging rights doing so, and even he agrees that something has to change.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:22 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Most Americans, way most, are law biding citizens. If they are required to turn in the AR-15s they will. They can be paid for the residual value.
I doubt it'll ever come to that, but if it did then there would be a repeat of November of 1994, when we voted most politicians out of office, who tried to ban semi-auto weapons, but failed and ended up with senseless laws and regulations that didn't do anything but affect us law-abiding citizens. Plus, if it became law to turn in AR-15 type weapons, do you really think the bad guys would be anxious to turn theirs in? I doubt it.

Let's face it, all of us decent AR-15 type weapon owners will neither use the weapon to cause horrific mass shootings, nor will we use them for any other criminal purposes. The problem is not the AR-15 or any other semi-automatic weapons, it's unstable individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies