Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 01:08 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Mass murder like this is really a symptom of a diseased society. Attempting to restrict guns won't solve it. And the problems go way beyond a lack of funding for mental health too.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:09 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I always hear this rather absurd argument from NRA types that gun laws don’t work because criminals don’t obey laws. Well of course criminals don’t obey laws that’s what makes them criminals. So, if gun laws don’t work then why have any laws at all? I mean criminals are just going to break them, right?
Because we should only have laws against things that cause actual harm to people. Stealing hurts people. Killing is obvious. Owning an inanimate object hurts no one.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:10 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
They argue their same position every time. It's not the guns, it's mental health, we need our guns, it's our "right" to have our guns, it's mental health, it's not our guns, we want our guns, it's our right, repeat till you make everyone want to throw up.
Very true. And dance all around the issue. They'll probably start blaming high windows, cliffs, the ocean and whatever else next.

When, in reality, its them. And the NRA.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:12 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I always hear this rather absurd argument from NRA types that gun laws don’t work because criminals don’t obey laws. Well of course criminals don’t obey laws that’s what makes them criminals. So, if gun laws don’t work then why have any laws at all? I mean criminals are just going to break them, right?
Until I have an assigned police bodyguard right outside my door, I will keep my right to protect myself.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:14 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Very true. And dance all around the issue. They'll probably start blaming high windows, cliffs, the ocean and whatever else next.

They are obsessed, I mean OCD behavior about their guns. There's no point in even discussing it w/ most of them. They are unwilling to entertain the idea that no one needs a semi automatic weapon that holds so much ammo it can wipe out a whole village. Ridiculous.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:14 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
I'm still waiting for a decent rebuttal to why we shouldn't adopt gun control laws like Japan. I responded to Floorist earlier but it's now buried in the thread. This isn't an issue I have an emotional investment in, it just seems like we have some very good evidence that gun control works. I'm wondering what the counterargument is (Google hasn't been too helpful).

If we take the Second Amendment out of the discussion, what's the counterargument to Japan's unmitigated success in controlling both gun violence rates and homicide rates?

Old 02-15-2018, 01:15 PM

524 posts, read 252,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post

No, it is sick and dysfunctional parenting. Stop blaming inanimate objects. Bad and ignorant People are the problem. Always have been and always will be!

Most people are crap and should not breed!

Old 02-15-2018, 01:17 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
There should be no gun laws.

If you are a felon and I sell you gun knowingly, it shouldn't be a crime

However, if you go out and commit a crime with that gun, I should be liable too.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:19 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
You can't argue w/ you guys. It's fruitless. You're obsessed w/ your guns (ie see Freud).
Freud? I prefer Fromm, but whatever. I don't consider my desire to legally own firearms to defend myself, target shoot, hunt etc to be obsessive. Taking guns away from the law abiding will not stop violent crime. You guys are obsessed with control, and dependency on government.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:20 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I'm still waiting for a decent rebuttal to why we shouldn't adopt gun control laws like Japan. I responded to Floorist earlier but it's now buried in the thread. This isn't an issue I have an emotional investment in, it just seems like we have some very good evidence that gun control works. I'm wondering what the counterargument is (Google hasn't been too helpful).

If we take the Second Amendment out of the discussion, what's the counterargument to Japan's unmitigated success in controlling both gun violence rates and homicide rates?
You are assuming that the availability of a particular tool is the driver/non-driver of anger and violence. I don't buy that. If you could snap your fingers and remove every gun from the world, I would wager that we would have just as many angry and violent people while Japan would also have the same number. Its environment and society, not the tools available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies